Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

I am new to this site and was banded on 10/1 by Dr. Geiss- The surgery experience was as pleasant as could be expected- it is the days that follow that worry me- I am not hungry, but I am afraid to eat anything, for fear of not losing weight- I will be on liquids for another week or so and then to mushies- is that easier??

How's everyone doing?

I had my 6 week follow up appointment today and everything looks good. I learned today to try for the 8am appointments at Dr Geiss's office - I was in and out in only 15 minutes!!!

I'm not having my first fill for another 4 weeks though. I'm going on vacation in 10 days so they thought it best to wait until I get back.

it sounds like you are doing great- I go back on the 15th for my post op appointment- seems like a long time- Is that what Dr. Geiss did for you as well?? Do they let you start on the mushie stage at that point?? I am getting hungry and tired of liquids- what I guess I am still not sure of is if just getting the band gives you restriction, or do you really have to wait for the first fill to feel the effect of the band?? Or is it both?? Maybe someone further along can answer this for me

Thanks!

The restriction issue is different for everyone. Too many variables.

After surgery, many people have a fair amount of swelling causing the band to feel tight(er) for the first week or two. For some people 1 fill does the trick but I think most say it takes 3-5. Some people have natural restriction and NEVER need a fill.

I've never felt any sense of restriction. I experimented with a few mushies 2 days before my 2 week follow up appointment. I wanted to test things out in case it brought up any new questions I'd want to ask.

YOu sound like you are doing great- I also tried eggs, 3 days early, but they were delicious and I did fine- what did you eat during the mushie stage?? I am so afraid to make a mistake- also, do you attend the monthly meetings? I am going to try to attend next week and just wondered what they are like

Thanks for your help

Hi everyone, I am being banded by Dr Nishamora who is part of the group with Dr Vohra at South Nassau Communities Hospital. I don't have a date yet because I also have to have my gall bladder removed which he doesn't do it at the same time.

Wow, this Dr. Geiss must be amazing. I see his name in so many places at this site as well as with Dr Ren from Manhattan!

Did the different meetings at restaurants fizzle out? I'd love to attend if I'm free on the night.

I would be interested in a support group as well- Please let me know if anything is scheduled coming up-

Thank you

Ron C posts about a support group. I think they meet monthly in the Western Suffolk area. (there are threads in this section or you could send him a PM)

How's everyone doing? I am doing really well and hit a big milestone today - 50lbs gone!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

It's really time to join a gym. The weather has gotten so cold that I'm losing all motivation for my daily walks. Plus I know I need AT LEAST some weight training.

I have my monthly appointment with Dr Geiss's office on Monday. I think I'm ready for my first fill.

Ilenev - To date, I have not been to any of the support group meeting. A lot of things like vacation and work hours, have gotten in the way but I haven't really made a big effort yet either.

I've also been telling myself I want to go back and see the shrink Dr Geiss sent me to before surgery. I really liked her a lot and think I need to do some "head work".

I guess I'm just not ready.

Hi all....had my banding by Dr. Geiss on 10/29, home recuperating and each day is a new adventure. I have had an adequate share of discomfort and am finally able to get some sleep at night. All of a sudden last night I started having terrible shoulder pain, it's lasting this morning too ( I think it's probably gas pains) but I didn't experience it until day 3 after surgery, is this unusual??

Another question I have is it typical to feel the band?? I get some discomfort in the band area, and I'm not sure how to alleviate it. I'm not getting in the amounts of anything I am supposed to in a day, I'm either not hungry or feeling so full I can't drink another drop. Post-op isn't fun, but the end results will be. (I keep having to tell myself that)

Finally one more month to go on the 6 month supervised diet. It does go fast sort of. Appointment next week with Nutritionist then praying Cigna comes through for me!

The shoulder pain is probably gas. I was luckily and didn't really have bad gas pains but when I did get them, it was at about 4-5 days post-op. I took Gas X (I don't know if it worked but everyone said to use it - lol) and lots of walking. I think most people complain about pain in their left shoulder. Is that where yours is?

I'm not familiar with the "feeling the band" sensation you reference but I have seen other people mention that.

Sounds like you are completely normal and on track! Congrats!!!

Sooverit - Good luck with the insurance approval. I was freaking out over that too! The 6 months really does go by faster than you think. It feels like just yesterday I was bumming about having to START the 6 month diet and now I'm already about 10 weeks post op.

Thanks Candle ...you're my inspiration. It really did go fast and I hate to admit it but I sort of see the logic in it as well. In the 6 months I went from thinking I was nuts to even be thinking about this proceedure to feeling like I want it tomorrow to now ...I think I am truly ready to make a change and I know I will use it well. I am starting today to eat like I am already banded and I think I will not have "buyers remorse" after all this thinking! Glad to hear you are doing so well:whoo:

Wow Candle I just saw 50 lbs. since August...Is that right?!! You must feel like a million buck@! way to go!

Only4Me - I got the call 2 days ago and I am scheduled for 12/3. I'm thrilled with the date because it is far enough after Thanksgiving so I don't have to explain to anyone why I'm not eating solid food and it's 6 weeks before a cruise my husbad surprised me with. Coincidentally, when I told him the date he asked if I shouldn't wait until after the cruise before doing this. It's funny, because first he wanted me to wait until after the holidays and now wait until after the vaction he surprised me with for January 19th. Makes me wonder what else he would want me to wait for before having the surgery. Anyway, I'm doing it on the 3rd of December and that's it!!!

Candle - I must admit I have been stalking you, (in the nicest way possible). I started reading the boards since August and following your progress. You have done an amazing job and are a real inspiration for me. I am getting banded by your doc as well. Thanks, for continuing to post and share your comments and suggestions...You must be proud of yourself and feel fabulous!