Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

ssankofa-good for you. I am still not able to get all of the shakes in. I am doing well with the Water, but I cant get in more that 3-4 oz of the shake. I dont want to make myself uncomfortable.

Only4me - I spoke too soon. I didn't even finish the 2nd shake yet. I don't know why I'm put off by them because its not like they taste bad. Maybe I need more variety.

I did have a bowl of egg drop Soup with a little extra Protein powder in it though. I went for a 30 minute walk and had 1/2 a bottle of Water. My neighbors were bbq-ing so I stopped and had 1/2 cup of pickle salad (sliced pickles, olives and bell pepper) and about a 1/3 cup of potato salad (I'm really craving the salty stuff for some reason). Before the night is over I'm going to try to finish my 2nd Protein Shake.

BTW, 1 of my steri strips fell off and I have a little clear thread hanging out of my incision. Thats gotta be dissolvable suture. Do you know if they used glue, staples, stitches, etc. on you?

I hope your having a good day.

ssankofa73--You have to be careful!!!!!!!! I hope you are not going to get sick. I am craving Chewing!!!!!!!!!! I would love to just be able to crunch something. I am calling Geisses office tomorrow. I was feeling so sick when I woke up. My stomach and espogus felt like they were lying in acid all night long. I had to take a prilosec......I couldnt eat or drink anything until it all settled down. I stayed with Clear Liquids today. Right now I am having 4 oz of sf pudding. I hope it doesnt bother me! I also cannot walk to 30 mins. You seem to be healing alot faster than I am. My husband sat my kids down today because they have not been letting me rest like I should have and only my youngest (she is 10) has helped me. The others just want me to drive them places (which Im not supposed to) and do things for them. I am still very sore!! One of my steri strips fell off. Just a scar underneath- I dont know what they used..

Only4me

I'm trying to read some "pb-ing" and "stuck food" horror stories so I can be "scared straight" and not go after the solid foods. I ended up finishing the second Protein shake and had a 1/2 cup more Soup. I'm gonna try to drink a little more tonight.

I'm sorry to hear about your bout (sp?) with acid reflux. A call to Dr. Geiss' office is smart. I hope he has good news for you.

Hear are some tips I learned in school re: Treating Acid Reflux:

-drink skimmed milk and suck on tums (both add Calcium and and are chemical bases that counteract acid in the body)

-sleep while propping your head and torso up on pillows at about a 30 to 45 degree angle. This allows gravity to help keep the stomach juices down

-forget the Tomato Soup or other food/soups made from vegetables that have seed(they are full of acid)

-stop ingesting food 1/2 before bed time

I'm wondering if my recovery is normal or not because I noticed at the hospital that I was up and about a lot more than the other patients on my floor (Part of this was due to the night nurse, Delia. She damn near forced me out of bed at around 2 am to go walking in the unit). My poor roommate was in major pain and it seems as if she was suffering more than I was the whole time. All in all, I expected to be in worse shape than this but I feel blessed that I'm having a good recovery so far. I don't have any kids and I'm not working right now so I have a lot more time to sit and relax. You have a full fledged family to tend to so it may take you longer to heal. I'm sure your recovery will pick up its pace soon though.

They used glue on me-wish it were stitches. The scars are horrible. Now I'll never be able to wear that bikini!

PS, I ate (and still do) some of the wrong stuff. I am losing weight slowly, and do not feel deprived. They slow is better, right?

Ja9

I knew I wasn't going to be perfect through this journey. I just didn't know my imperfections would come out so early in the game.

They say that the slower you lose weight, the longer it stays off and you have a better chance of having more of your skin snapping back instead of hanging. These 2 reasons help to make the Lapband an better choice for me than gastric bypass. Yes, I wish the weight was melting off of me like it does for the RNY folks, but the majority of the research I've done says bandsters catch up with RNY's weigh loss stats about 12 to 18 months post op. Those are great stats to me.

Sanskoffa- I was us all night walking that floor- every 2 hours I got up. I never saw anyone walking the halls. We must have been on different schedules. I did call Dr. Giess' office and spoke to one of the PA's who said I did the right thing by going back to clear liquids and taking a prilosec. She doesnt want me to stay on the prilosec after today and see how I do. She told me to only take 1/2 of a teaspoon of liquid at a time. I am doing much better today.

Hi All. My name is Jackie. I was banded june 2003 by Dr Gellman. I go to all the Geiss meetings with a group of friends I have made along the way. We belong to the Yahoo group LIBanders. We meet the last Tuesday of EVERY month at the Sweet Hollow Diner on Route 110 (is that Melville or Huntington?) We would love to get more banders to come. We get the back room and they give us all separate checks. They accommodate all of our bander food needs. We get there between 6-6:30, some come later and sometimes stay there until 10 or 11 chatting. It is a great group and we would love to have you. Join the yahoo group first LIBanders it's great for help and all questions get answered. Hope to meet you soon...Jackie

Jackie, I would love to go to your support group, unfortunatly I work in a dental office which is open untill 8pm on Tuesday. If I happen to get off early one one of those Tuesdays, I will definalty go. I just joined that support group on Yahoo, but I am having difficulty navigating it.

Do any women w/ Dr Geiss remember having to provide a current PAP Smear in with testing? Nothing was ever said to me about this and when I got the paperwork about my surgery date, I noticed it was on the letter to my PCP requesting clearance.

When I called the office to ask about this, Rebecca said I didn't need to provide that. I'm a little worried because I just noticed reference to it on a few other forms. I go for my final physical for clearance from my PCP on Wed and surgery is 8/27/07.

My last PAP was about 18 months ago - I'm over due for my annual but with all the pre-op testing over the last 6 months, I just forgot about it. (I just moved to LI last year and haven't found a new gyno yet)

Thanks

Do any women w/ Dr Geiss remember having to provide a current PAP Smear in with testing? Nothing was ever said to me about this and when I got the paperwork about my surgery date, I noticed it was on the letter to my PCP requesting clearance.

When I called the office to ask about this, Rebecca said I didn't need to provide that. I'm a little worried because I just noticed reference to it on a few other forms. I go for my final physical for clearance from my PCP on Wed and surgery is 8/27/07.

My last PAP was about 18 months ago - I'm over due for my annual but with all the pre-op testing over the last 6 months, I just forgot about it. (I just moved to LI last year and haven't found a new gyno yet)

Thanks

Candle Hi my name is Sue. I'll be banded by Dr. Geiss on Sept 4th. His office told me the same thing about the gyno tests, I have to get my final clearance next week and was concerned about it too, they said not to worry, so I'm not.

Hey Sue!

Thanks for the reply. I went for my pre-surgery testing at the hospital today and they asked me when my last PAP was. I gave her the date and told her I had been worried about it. She said it was ok not a big deal. *phew*

Are you excited? As my date gets closer and closer this just gets more and more real!!! :faint:

Maybe we'll see each other at the support group meetings!?!

PS. Did you have your meeting with the OR nurse yet? Wondering if you were one of the people there with me last Tues. (there were a few Sept people there)

Sue and Candle- I was banded by Dr. Geiss three weeks ago, I was surprised that was on the clearance paperwork also, but it does state that it should have been done within the past 2 or 3 years. It had been just under 2 years for me and it wasnt a problem. When I went for surgical clearance from my physician- And he is the head of Medicine for Syosset....He actually gave me an updated form (the one Dr. Geiss's office sent to me was one of the older forms) and it didnt even have that on it. I thought it Dr. Geiss's office required that it should have been included in all of the pre op testing.