Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

No I went to a meeting a few months ago. I think it was either in April or May. Dr. Geiss spoke a little bit but most of the lecture was done by a man who had lost over 100 lbs.

I went to the meeting in March and I was NOT impressed.

I wasn't expecting to learn anything new, as I've done a ton of research on my own but I did bring my boyfriend with me, hoping he would get something out of it. (he's not being banded but just so he'd know what to expect for me/us after my banding) We were both counting the seconds until the meeting was over. Dr. Geiss and a few other staff members spoke a little and they showed a short film strip.

Then they had 2 or 3 successful bandsters get up to speak - I hate to say it but I didn't get anything out of their speeches. Most of what they talked about was specific to their cases and they were hard to hear.

It just didn't seem well organized. I was disappointed.

I was assured the post-banding meetings are smaller and more helpful and "supportive".

I'm having my LapBand surgery on Monday and I missed the educational seminar that was held last week Tuesday at Syosset Hospital. Has anyone ever gone to that seminar and if so, csn you fill me in on what I missed? I called Dr. Geiss' office and one of the receptionists said that I didn;t miss much and that they only spoke about what to expect....but I want to know more of what to expect. Post your input if your have any...Thanks

There will be a lot of people at our support group meeting next Wed. that used Dr. Geiss and attended his seminar. Why don't you come and talk to them one-on-one so you can ask questions!

I'm having my LapBand surgery on Monday and I missed the educational seminar that was held last week Tuesday at Syosset Hospital. Has anyone ever gone to that seminar and if so, csn you fill me in on what I missed? I called Dr. Geiss' office and one of the receptionists said that I didn;t miss much and that they only spoke about what to expect....but I want to know more of what to expect. Post your input if your have any...Thanks

<p>Ron,</p> <p> </p> <p>Do you think I'll be well enough to go to the meeting 2 days after having the surgery? I have a feeling I'll be laid up in bed that day and trying my best to walk around the house as exercise.</p>

See how you feel. Some have felt well enough after a day or two, be we are all different. If you feel up to it, just drop in. You will be on liquids and won't be able to eat anyway. Good luck and many blessings!

Ron

<p>Ron,</p> <p> </p> <p>Do you think I'll be well enough to go to the meeting 2 days after having the surgery? I have a feeling I'll be laid up in bed that day and trying my best to walk around the house as exercise.</p>

ssankofa73:

Don't worry about missing the meeting. Here's some of the highlights they should have told you at the meeting but don't.

1. Bring comfortable clothes to wear home, and a robe so you can walk around in the luxury surgical gown without giving everyone a view of the moon.

2. Bring a good pair of slippers or shoes which have a no slip bottom and are easy to put on and slip off. You will be walking, make sure you are comfortable and safe.

3. Bring something to entertain yourself, a walkman, an iPod, a video game, a book....you will have a lot of free time following the surgery and other then walking and watching TV, not a lot to do.

4. Bring a pillow from home, the hospital pillows are fine i'm sure, but this one is for the ride home. Hold the pillow on your belly and wrap your arms around it. This will help minimize being bounced around on the ride home. You will feel a little sore the next day and this will help limit the discomfort on the ride home.

5. walk....as much as you can...walk. Many people experience gas pains following the surgery. They are minor, but they are annoying. The more you walk, they less you have.

6. When you get home you need to learn the bandster dance...it goes like this....walk walk walk sip sip sip walk walk walk sip sip sip.

Other things you missed:

Learning that June looks and sounds like the English DR from ER who married Mark Green.

That Dr Geiss looks like a game show host which makes it so much more amusing when he walks in to see you before the surgery with his blue scrubs and hair net on.

You will have a catheter, this was the single most annoying part of the surgery for me.

You are in excellent hands and everything is going to go smooth as silk.

You should attend the monthly meetings with the dietitian and therapist to learn from them and your fellow bandsters.

Be sure to have plenty of the foods and liquids you can eat on hand in the house (broth and Clear Liquids for your first days)

Make sure anything you would normally do around the house is done or done by someone else (laundry, vaccuum, dishes, cooking, shopping)

Be sure to make a list of your local lapbander pals so you can get ahold of us if you need something.

Be sure to check in here and let us know how you are doing so we don't worry.

Thank you so much for tips 503-250! They were very helpful and I"ll be sure to pack those extras you mentioned. I haven't met June yet but I'm looking forward to it and your right, Dr. Geiss does have that "made for TV look" to him.....What a tan!! lol

ssankoffa73: See you on Monday....did the hospital call you for Surgery time. Mine is at 3:00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to be in by 1:30...I was a little bummed, wanted to be early am.....but at least it is finally here!!!

The Next Long Island Lap-Band Support Group Meeting

will be NEXT WEDNESDAY. 8/1 at 7PM at Applebee's in North Babylon!

I will need a head count a day or two before so I can make a reservation to hold tables so we can all sit together. If you are coming and have not let me know, please R.S.V.P. so we can insure a seat for you!

If you are already banded, waiting to be banded or just considering being banded, then this meeting if for YOU! Please come! You are most welcome as are all newcomers!

If you have any questions, need directions or know now that you will definitely be coming, please send me a personal e-mail and I will add you to the list.

Last meeting we had 18, with many new folks. Let's make this one the best yet! God bless!

Ron

Ron,

Is the Applebee's the same one that was accross the street from Panera bread? ...Still not sure I will be there as I am being banded on Monday.

Anna

It is! If you are up to it, please come. If not, stay home, relax, heal and think happy thoughts! Blessings and good wishes for your procedure. You will do great!

Ron

ssankofa73 and Only4me, you two will be fine tomorrow, don't forget to walk and check in with us and tell us how it went when you get home....

503-250 Thanks for the well wishes.

Only4me I have to be in at 5:30am and I go in for surgery at 7am. I think I'm the 1st 1 for the day.