Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

Hi Everyone!

So, Amanda, you were at the same support group meeting! I do remember you. I had gone because I thought that one of the surgeons or the fellow would be there. I have a great friend who was banded by that group approx. 4 years ago and she told me that Dr. Powers was always at those groups. I guess not any more. I am with you, that particular meeting was a waste. But, I really like the people in this forum!

Lisa and Cappy- wow, the time is near! Be sure to come on here while you are doing your liquids! We will give you all the support and encouragement you need.

FatgirlinNY- I did not use their psych consult, I used my own. So, I am unable to tell you what to expect- sorry!

A big hello also to Chris, Candle and Slim2be.....and everyone else I might have forgotten. I did hit the 40 pound mark this past Friday! YAY.

Hi everyone,

Sorry..It has been crazy at work and I have been unable to get here and say hi. Yes I will be at the class on Tuesday. Does the meeting begin at 2pm? Is anyone bringing there family? Or is this just for us. I am also looking forward to meeting everyone.

Its getting close!!!!

Is anyone bringing there family? Or is this just for us.

My husband came with me to all my appointments and the education class. He thought it was important to understand what was going on.

Hi Everyone!

Hope you're all doing well. I'm excited for all of you who have your up-coming surgeries....I remember that excited feeling.

Susancarole: Congrats on hitting 40 pounds....way to go!

Lisa P. :mellow:

Hi All....

Amanda, I am going to the group meeting tonight. As a matter of fact I am leaving my house in about 40 min. I will let you know what they discuss!

Cappy- I know how you are feeling- we can ALL relate. But you are right about one thing. Once the weight starts coming off, I am telling you that you will not care one bit about that pizza. (Although, I have had pizza, just not a lot of it.) After a few weeks, you would probably get down like 1/2 a slice! I am not having any trouble with breads, but some of my surgery buddies are having a tougher time with it. Your mind will definitely adjust! And, I can not wait to hear how you are doing with it all. I am going to get you ALL to go to the next support group right with me!

Lisa and Cappy, wow you are ten days apart for surgery.....eat those Bagels now..lol. And, Chris, you are really not far behine them! Good luck and we will all stay in touch!

Sue

Hey Sue,

Thanks for the encouragement! Its funny, last night I was at my in-laws and what was for dinner? PIZZA! One of my husband's cousin's was there, he had the lap band surgery a few years ago...he lost about 60lbs the first year and then put a lot of the weight back on over a two year period...but now he's back on track and losing again, so he looks good. However, last night I thought it was interesting as I watched him eat THREE SLICES OF PIZZA AND A SODA! I was like, how the hell is he doing that? He was eating slow, but still! I don't know what kind of restriction he has, but I'm thinking not much! LOL! No one in my husband's family knows I'm having surgery...I was so tempted to ask him how he can eat that much with the band but then I thought about it and said forget it! I didn't want to seem too interested! The reason being, my MIL said to me not too long ago, "if you were my daughter, I would have made you go for the surgery YEARS ago"....wasn't that sweet? I've always had a good relationship with her but lately, she's truly getting under my skin:mad2: She is the LAST person that will ever know I went for surgery because she would try and take all the credit for me losing weight....little does she know, I've been researching this LONG BEFORE she even knew it existed:angry:

Lisa and Sue: I will see you guys on Tuesday--I can't wait! I'll be there with my husband. He's picking me up at the Syosset train station, that way I don't have to go all the way back to Ronkonkoma just to drive back to Syosset.

Okay, I'm going to bed now...I'm exhausted! Have a good night all!

Hi All....

Amanda, I am going to the group meeting tonight. As a matter of fact I am leaving my house in about 40 min. I will let you know what they discuss!

Cappy- I know how you are feeling- we can ALL relate. But you are right about one thing. Once the weight starts coming off, I am telling you that you will not care one bit about that pizza. (Although, I have had pizza, just not a lot of it.) After a few weeks, you would probably get down like 1/2 a slice! I am not having any trouble with breads, but some of my surgery buddies are having a tougher time with it. Your mind will definitely adjust! And, I can not wait to hear how you are doing with it all. I am going to get you ALL to go to the next support group right with me!

Lisa and Cappy, wow you are ten days apart for surgery.....eat those Bagels now..lol. And, Chris, you are really not far behine them! Good luck and we will all stay in touch!

Sue

Hey Sue,

Thanks for the encouragement! Its funny, last night I was at my in-laws and what was for dinner? PIZZA! One of my husband's cousin's was there, he had the lap band surgery a few years ago...he lost about 60lbs the first year and then put a lot of the weight back on over a two year period...but now he's back on track and losing again, so he looks good. However, last night I thought it was interesting as I watched him eat THREE SLICES OF PIZZA AND A SODA! I was like, how the hell is he doing that? He was eating slow, but still! I don't know what kind of restriction he has, but I'm thinking not much! LOL! No one in my husband's family knows I'm having surgery...I was so tempted to ask him how he can eat that much with the band but then I thought about it and said forget it! I didn't want to seem too interested! The reason being, my MIL said to me not too long ago, "if you were my daughter, I would have made you go for the surgery YEARS ago"....wasn't that sweet? I've always had a good relationship with her but lately, she's truly getting under my skin:mad2: She is the LAST person that will ever know I went for surgery because she would try and take all the credit for me losing weight....little does she know, I've been researching this LONG BEFORE she even knew it existed:angry:

Lisa and Sue: I will see you guys on Tuesday--I can't wait! I'll be there with my husband. He's picking me up at the Syosset train station, that way I don't have to go all the way back to Ronkonkoma just to drive back to Syosset.

Okay, I'm going to bed now...I'm exhausted! Have a good night all!

Quick question: Did anyone drive themselves home the day after surgery? I may have to do that. I have a ride there but my ride home the next day fell through. Would it be hard for me to drive myself home the next day? If they have us walking around a half hour after surgery, wouldn't it be possible to drive the next day?

Hi CANDLE,

I noticed that you've lost ore weight than you expected. BRAVO! I've only lost 1/3 of my excess weight and I need help. What did you do to be so successful?

Edited by ssankofa73

whatever you do, don't drive yourself home. If anything, take a taxi and bring a couple of pillows with you because you will be groggy and in pain.

Quick question: Did anyone drive themselves home the day after surgery? I may have to do that. I have a ride there but my ride home the next day fell through. Would it be hard for me to drive myself home the next day? If they have us walking around a half hour after surgery, wouldn't it be possible to drive the next day?

The hospital will not let you drive yourself home. Just won't happen.

You're having surgery Nov 10th, yes? Where do you live? If you really get stuck Im off Tuesdays (Nov 11) if you're not further then Queens I could give you a lift. I hope that doesn't sound too stalking. But I figure Karma is a good thing.

Your education meeting is tomorrow, yes? If you want we could meet before. I live in Syosset so it is not a problem.

Let me know.

Just a thought.:thumbup:

Hi Blondie. I'm only 10 to 15 minutes away and I need some lapband support, too. Let me know when and where you want to meet up.

??????????

The hospital will not let you drive yourself home. Just won't happen.

You're having surgery Nov 10th, yes? Where do you live? If you really get stuck Im off Tuesdays (Nov 11) if you're not further then Queens I could give you a lift. I hope that doesn't sound too stalking. But I figure Karma is a good thing.

Your education meeting is tomorrow, yes? If you want we could meet before. I live in Syosset so it is not a problem.

Let me know.

Just a thought.:biggrin:

Hi Amanda,

Wow...that is so very nice of you...I live in Oceanside. I am still trying to work something out but I really appreciate it. You are a very good person and I believe in Karma as well, so I understand how you feel. I will try very hard to work something else out because I don't want to inconvenience you...I'll be in touch.

Thanks again very much!

Lisa

Amanda - you are the sweetest person!!!

Lisa - I can't remember specifically but I don't think you can drive for at least 48 hours because of the anesthesia. The hospital will not allow you to drive yourself!!

ssankofa73 – Have you had a fill recently? Your signature info does not seem to be updated.

I wish I had some magic weight loss secrets to share with you but I don’t. I attribute my success to:

-Eating 4-5 small meals per day. I think that helped boost my defunct metabolism.

-Drinking AT LEAST 64ozs of Water every day but usually more like 80-100.

-Planning my meals. If I don't have healthy stuff to eat in the house or I let myself get too hungry, I always seem to make poor choices and/or over eat.

-Logging my food intake.

-Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! I know it sucks and I still HATE every minute of it but you have to do it. Even something small to start, like walking a few blocks.

This might sound silly but I got a dog - she forces me to walk. (She also brings smiles and laughter to our lives everyday!!!! I’m so ridiculously in love with this stupid fur ball!) We usually do about a 2-4 mile walk daily. We also take her to Blydenburg Park in Smithtown every Sunday. They have a dog park where she gets to play with other pooches and then we take about a 2 hour hike with her. If anyone lives in the area, it's a beautiful park with a lot of great trails that wrap around a lake. If you have a dog, the dog run is 1 acre, fenced in, and on the weekend there are usually at least 20-30 other dogs there.

Next summer me and my boyfriend are planning to hike the Greenbelt Trail. There are a few access points but one of them is in BlydenburgPark and it ends in Connetquot. It should be about 30 miles. :biggrin:

I haven't read thru ALL the recent posts but have you guys ever talked about starting up our own support group/meeting? The one at Dr Geiss' office doesn't sound all that "supportive" or organized. It costs $20 and Dr Geiss or Powers aren’t even there?! We could meet in a local library, Starbucks, etc. I'm in Patchogue so I wouldn't want to go much further than Syosset. The drive is actually something that has inhibited me from going in the past but I also have a little touch of social anxiety, lol.

I realized the other day that I do not know one person in my 3-D life that is banded. Kinda weird ....

Edited by Candle