Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for including me in your plans to get together in December....it will be so nice for us all to share our stories and offer encouragement to each other in person.

Cappy: Oh, you made my day! I will always remember your words saying I was an inspiration with my weight loss. Thank you so much and I'm happy you're on your way as well!

Lcubed: Thanks so much for the compliments....I'm looking forward to meeting you in Dec as well....your time is right around the corner! It is so worth it!

Shrinkinmom: Thanks so much for the welcome...I'm looking forward to meeting you and the group. I too have only told a select few people...my husband, my 2 kids, and a friend at work who was MY inspiration to do this because she had it done by Dr Geiss too. I see we're neighbors, I'm in Patchogue!

Have a good evening everyone!

Hi Ladies!

I think it is great that Cappy and Chris met yesterday and Lisa will be joining very soon!

You know what Chris, I definitely know of the "strong" personality you are referring to atleast in the surgeon's office! You are right to use the bee and honey approach as well. I just will say that they misplaced my medical records twice. One woman in Powers/Geiss office kept telling me that the cardiologist did NOT fax in the consent...yet, when I went in personally to the cardiologist, they gave me PROOF that they had faxed the clearance. SO, I politely asked them for another copy of my clearance and drove it directly to their office (surgeons.) and personally handed it to Ms. "J". When I called a few days later to see why Liz had not called, MS J told me that she was still waiting for cardiac clearance. I said to her....."You have got to be kidding me, I personally handed it to you last week"

Then, I backed off, and told her to please call me back after they check the records again. I guess it all of a sudden appeared again, because the next call was from LIZ. I think they are all overwhelmed in that office. They get soooo many calls a day. You will notice that when you go in for your follow up appointment and hear all the phones ringing. But that just means that those doctors are great!

Chris, the best part of my lifestyle now is really that I have such a great attitude and feeling of getting healthy!

Lisa, I am not sure which band I have, because I never asked. But I am assuming like Elisa said that I have the regular band. Also, I heard an interesting thing the other night when I met my surgery buddies at Panera.....They both got their Hyatal hernias fixed during surgery. I too have that kind of hernia, but it doesn't bother me and I don't have any symptoms. BUT I am going to ask if that was repaired when I go in for my 6 week check up on the 21st of this month.

Can't wait to meet all of you.

Have a good night all: Cappy, Chris, both Lisas, elisa, Candle, and Amy- and I sure hope I did not forget anyone!

This is a pretty active thread.

I was banded by Dr P last March.

Im doing pretty well. A few plateaus but bumping along at 68lbs gone 57lbs to go.

I know what you mean about the office being busy. No matter what time my appointment is I never get in under 45min late. I am happy that each time I go I see Dr P and not the PA.

HI Everyone

Welcome Amanda.

I said the next time I would post I would have my surgery date and I do. December 3rd. I am really bummed that i was unalbe to get in before Thanksgiving but at least I will be mostly healed by the Holidays.

Wow I think it has really hit me that this is real!!! I can't wait.

Chris

ps EVERYONE HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!!

Hi Chris,

I am so happy that you got your date! YAY....I know, the only bummer is that you have to be on liquids on Thanksgiving. That's ok, we all made it through. I even had to go to the US OPEN tennis one day on liquids. And it was about 90 degrees that day. And, I was with a group of people eating up a storm. I just kept to the story about the nutritionist and the liquids...it was fine.

It will be here before you know it! One of my friends from surgery had her first fill today (from sept 2) and I am dying to know how she is feeling. She called earlier, but I was out.

Again, wtg Chris....

Welcome to Amanda! (another Dr. P patient, yay!)

Hi Everyone!

Welcome, Amanda! 68lbs gone...way to go!!!! Congrats!!!

Hi Chris...glad you finally got your date:thumbup:sorry its later than you wanted, but it will go by quickly! Can you believe we are really doing this:ohmy:? Still doesn't seem real to me!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone! Have a great night!

Fran

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have their insurance approval yet? I am just nervous and will be so disappointed if it falls through now. Especially since I was given the date already 11/13/2008 Dr Geiss.

ALso does anyone feel like thay are eating something for "the last time". I have been overeating and gained a few pounds last week. I think I am back on track now and had to stop and to myself..'what are you doing?'

I hope everyone is doing well..

Sue

Hello Everyone! I'm really getting nervous. 3 weeks from today I start my preop liquid diet...4 weeks from tomorrow I have my surgery! I'm feeling like I have only 3 more weeks to eat food as I know it...life will change drastically in 4 weeks...but it will change for the better!

Shrinkinmom: Hi Chris. They did give me a choice of 2 dates for the educational meeting. I hope you can go to the one on Oct. 21 like me.

Cappy: Hi Fran. I also hope you are going to the same educational meeting. There is also another one on Oct. 28. That is the last Tues of the month. But I am going on the 21st.

Amanda: Hi and welcome!!! You are doing greyt!!!

Slim2be: I am looking forward to meeting you also!

Susancarole: Hi Sue! I guess I will just let Dr. Geiss decide about the band on the day of surgery. It really doesn't matter which one I get...as long as it's the best one for me. I also have to find out if he will repair the small hiatal hernia I have. I found out about it when I had the upper GI series...I never knew I had one but they said it was a small one. It would be nice to have it repaired as long as I'm in surgery anyway.

Hi also to Elisa and Candle and everyone else reading this.

Have a greyt day,

Lisa

Hi All!

Lcubed: Hi Lisa...I'm going to the meeting on the 28th, I guess I won't be meeting you then:sad:. Hopefully we can meet at one of the December meetings....sorry about that, I was really hoping it was the same day:frown: I too am getting more nervous each day...still doesn't seem real...but it will definitely be for the better!

Sue: I'm not sure about insurance approval....I did receive my paperwork in the mail from Geiss regarding my surgery, the day of the educational meeting and also received some paperwork that I have to bring to my regular doctor for approval...he needs to fill out and return to Geiss's office. I assumed that since I received my letter, that I was approved already? Maybe not? I hope so....I'll be pretty pissed if I get another letter or a call saying I wasn't approved...good luck! As far as eating goes, I've definitely been eating more over the past 3-4 weeks...not sure if its due to surgery worries or just the stress of "family" crap that I've been dealing with...whatever it is, I'm definitely out of control...I haven't even gotten on the scale because I'm afraid to know how much MORE I've gained! I'm on a rollercoaster ride and I really just want to GET OFF!

Take care guys, talk to you soon!

Fran

Cappy,

OMG its good to hear I am not the only one who is eating like this and who also has...'family crap'. I did get the package from the office but it does say in there pending insurance approval.

Ill keep you posted I may call the office on Tues.

Hi again!

Cappy: Hi Fran! I'm sorry about the educational meeting also. When I got my surgery date Liz gave me the choice of the 21st or the 28th...now I wish I picked the 28th. Looks like both you and Sue will be there on the same day. Maybe I should try to change my date...

Sue129: I'm glad both you and Cappy will be there together. I heard from my insurance company the day after I got my surgery date. Unfortunately I heard from them because they did not approve the inpatient stay and want me to be an outpatient only. You only hear from the insurance company if there is anything they won't approve; otherwise it is fine. In my case, this means that I have to be out of the hospital in 23.5 hours. I called Dr. Geiss's office and Lisa told me not to worry. They appealed it and it was denied again but Lisa told me it would be worked out between the hospital and the insurance company. Apparently once you have surgery, they can reapply if there are any complications. By the way Lisa and my insurance company explained it...it sounds like this is usual for my insurance company and they can say that I need more pain management or something like that and the inpatient stay will be approved. At any rate, Lisa told me that I would pay ZERO and I shouldn't worry. So, don't worry Sue...they know what they are doing and how to do it so it will be approved. If they didn't think you would be approved, they wouldn't have given you a date. :crying:

I, too, have been eating more than usual...or the wrong foods anyway. I guess I feel like it's my last chance to eat this stuff either ever or for a very long time...and definitely never as much again. I did that for a few weeks and now that I am getting closer to the day I am getting nervous and not doing that anymore. I keep remembering what the nutritionist told me...it is not a diet...it is a different way of eating altogether. There are no foods that we can never eat again; rather we will never eat as much of them again. It seems as though the only things that we can never have again are carbonated beverages...and that is not a big sacrifice, especially considering the benefits.

Anway...I may call Dr. Geiss's office tomorrow and see if I can change my educational meeting to the 28th. Then I can meet both of you.

Take care,

Lisa

Hi ALL!

Hey, Lisa, Fran and Sue129, You are really NOT alone when you say that you are eating more and "things you shouldn't" right before surgery. I think we all did that....atleast I did too! And, you are right, there just are certain things that you really will not be having after surgery, and one of them is carbonated bev's. AND, I REALLY really really miss my diet coke. But, I will not take the chance of having my band stretch just for a diet coke!

Hang in there ladies, I swear it gets easier. And don't put too much stress on yourselves about gaining this pre-operative few pounds!

Banded 9/2/08

34 pounds gone forever

Dr. C Powers

I cannot tell you good it is to connect to all of you. It is great to have people who are going through it the same thing in the ame week.

Lisa You made me feel so much more relaxed with the insurance issue. i didnt realize that.

I am really so excited I cant believe its gettings this close. I am a bit nervous at times but know I am doing the right thing,

The other issue I struggle with is whether to tell anyone or not. Only my husband and my sister know. I have wrestled with which way to go....either tell everyone and whatever they say they say...who cares....versus.....why does any one need to know this is anything more than a successful one of my yoyo phases in the past.

Where on LI is everyone located: I am on the so shore of nassau county.

Thanks all so much.

Sue

Good News,....Called Dr Geiss office today and I received insurance approval!!

So my fears of being rejected after being so pumped for this ...is over!!

Woo hoo!!