Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

PS. Lisa - I wasn't groggy or in pain the day after surgery. I actually had NO pain at all besides a tender port site. I never took any of the pain meds they gave me a script for. A pillow for the ride home is a good suggestion though. You don't want the seat belt rubbing on your tummy.

HI everyone...

I have been away for a while but I am patiently counting down. My surgery is 5 weeks from tomorrow. Lcubed you are getting so close just a few day til liquids.

I think a in person support group would be great. I'm totally intereted. I live in Sayville and work in Farmingdale. So Western Suffolk, eastern Nassau would be fine. Preference to south shore or north shore.

Lets do the what, whens and wheres and then see who can make it.

Chris

Hi Everyone!!!

It was so very wonderful to meet Cappy and Sue129 both in person at the educational meeting yesterday! I am very happy to know both of you! I'm so very excited and now even more nervous! It hits me every day that the day is almost here. Yesterday solidified it for me! So much to remember...but it is all written down and we have each other for support and help! I really would love to form our own support group as soon as our surgeries are over! What do you all think? Let's do it...we can arrange it wherever and whenever is convenient for all of us at no charge to us of course...lol. The most important thing I learned yesterday was..."I just have to make it to the versed"...lol!!! Then it will be fine.

I am supposed to start my preop diet on Sunday but I am thinking of beginning sooner...maybe Friday. I know it's Halloween so I think my costume will be a "Soon-To-Be-Bandster". Of course I am one of the "Notorious Novembers"!!!

Cappy and Sue129: Hi Fran and Sue! I know this is the beginning of a greyt friendship! I am very happy about that!

Shrinkinmom: Hi Chris. You won't believe how fast the next 5 weeks will go. Before you know it you will have your surgery. And, remember, you will always be considered a "Notorious November" regardless of your surgery date! And, it sounds like there is a lot of interest in forming our own support group. So let's do it as soon as our surgeries are over...within the next few weeks!

Ssankofa73: It's nice to meet you and thank you for the info...and support!

Amanda: You are so right! I cannot drive myself home. The message came across loud and clear yesterday at the meeting. I do not want to impose so I am trying to arrange a ride with a friend who may not have to work that day. But you are so amazingly nice to offer! I will always remember that! Karma is real...

Candle: Thank you for the info and support also. Dogs are greyt! I have one also and I am so looking forward to taking long walks with her. I have a greyhound named Juliette. I guess you may have figured that out by the picture next to my name. What kind of dog do you have? Maybe we can arrange a doggie play date and go to that nice park you mentioned. Juliette and I would love that! You are so right...there is nothing like that unconditional love we receive from our furbabies! And, yes...a support group has been discussed, see above. We can work out the details. Once we all meet each other, you will have lots of friends in your 3D life that have been banded!

I'm going out tonight with a friend for my last "Pre-Band" dinner. Preop liquid diet...here I come!

Lisa

Lisa - if you are in the mind set already, I think starting your pre-op diet a little early is a great idea. I did the same thing. It was the start of a new week and time to go to the groc store anyway. I did 10 days and lost 14lbs. It was a great kick start to my weight loss!! I'm not going to lie to you, the first few days were roughhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Long walks with your dog are right around the corner!

Here's my girl BELLA. She turned 3 in June. We adopted her in Feb ‘07 from the Bide-A-Wee in Westhampton. She's the love of my life. There's a tan and white colored greyhound and a gray mini at the park in Smithtown frequently. I have such a crush on the mini-greyhounds!!

Hi All,

Wow, lots of posts!

Cappy- You crack me up, but you also sound like me (especially about the mother in law part!) I never told my inlaws either. They live in Ocean City MD, and we will be seeing them on Thanksgiving.- And I still am not going to tell them. Oh and about your husband's cousin- don't worry about his successes and failures. You are highly motivated, I can tell, and you will do just fine. And, you have all of us for support! It won't be long now !!!!!!

Lisa (Lcubed)- I agree with the others, that you can not drive home by yourself. The hospital will not allow it. I see that you had an offer of a ride from Amanda...that is very sweet, or I could get you as well.

As far as starting the liquids early, I did it one day early myself. The more fat you rid from your liver, the better! And Candle is right, the first few days are rough, but you will get thru it just fine! YOU GO GIRL, getting close now! Let us know how you are doing with those liquids!

Chris, The next time I am out in Sayville visiting my parents, we should meet up. I could try to drive out just before your surgery to give you a pep talk. We could meet in Starbucks on Main Street if you want. We could both have a black iced tea!

Candle, You are 100 percent right about the exercise. We went through the surgery nearly the same way. I had no pain also after surgery and was exercising a few days after. I think that exercising (walking or something) is key to keeping the metabolism going and it works very well in combination with the band. My gosh, you are doing so well and are an inspiration to us all.

Have a great day everyone and keep up the good work.

Banded: 9/2/08 Dr. Powers

42 lbs. gone forever

Here's something new for you liquid diet people:

(I tried the Golden Butternut Squash and it's YUMMY!)

Campbell makes Soup of V8

FoodProcessing.com

A full serving of vegetables in every bowl

V8SweetRedPepper.jpgIn the “Why-didn’t-they-think-of-that-sooner?” category, Campbell Soup Co., Camden, N.J., extends its 50-year-old V8 franchise — known for delivering vegetable nutrition – with Campbell’s V8 Soups. These pureed Soups, made from farm-fresh ingredients, offer a full serving of vegetables in every bowl, are low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol and contain no artificial flavors or preservatives.

Packaged in convenient soup boxes, varieties include: Golden Butternut Squash Soup, a blend of mellow-sweet butternut squash and savory herbs (140 calories); Garden Broccoli Soup, a blend of broccoli and seasonings (80 calories); Tomato Herb Soup, tomatoes, basil and a hint of garlic (90 calories); Southwestern Corn Soup, a balance of yellow corn and the spicy kick of roasted peppers (150 calories); and Sweet Red Pepper Soup, a blend of red pepper and tomatoes (150 calories).

Hi Everyone!

First, I want to say how great it was to finally meet Lisa and Sue at the educational meeting! You guys were soooo nice...I look forward to creating a friendship with you both, along with others on this great site!

Like Lisa, the educational class we attended really solidified the "realness" of my surgery to the umpteenth degree! Logically, I know the surgery is coming, but it still hadn't sunk in yet....then I sat there and listened to everything that June said and I was like, damn, this is really happening! June also brought up something about the surgery that honestly scared me! She was explaining the procedure and what will happen every step of the way right up through the entire surgery...I believe June said, and correct me if I'm wrong anyone, that because this is a lapriscopic surgery and mediciation will be administered through the abdomen to relax the stomache muscles and keep them from spasiming, they will need to insert a breating tube into the lungs and this is what will keep you breathing during surgery, you will not be breathing on your own (I hope I said that right)! Well, I don't know about you, Lisa and Sue, but that really scared the SH-- out of me! Now, I know I'll be sleeping and won't be aware of any of this, but it still freaks me out a bit! That was my ah-ha moment! I know every surgery has its risks, but staying morbidly obese will eventually lead to MORE risks....so I'll try to focus on that whenever I start feeling a little scared!

I would love for us to start our own support group...count me in! Since we have people both in Nassau & Suffolk counties, maybe a good central meeting place could be the Farmingdale or Melville areas...what do you guys think? On Rt. 110 there are two diners, one right across from the movie theater and then one a little ways up the road heading North....not so sure a food establishment is our best choice, but I know you can go to a diner and spend hours there and don't have to worry about being kicked out...LOL! Someone suggested a library, that's a good idea too. I guess any place that will allow us to sit and talk without worrying about the time would be a good choice. Any ideas?

Candle: I've never been to Blydenburg Park in Smithtown. I've always wanted to go but somehow never made it there, and I live so close to it! Your dog is just beautiful!!! I also have a dog, a handsome brindle boxer named Zeus...I would love to try and bring him there but I'm not sure how he would do. We don't walk him much (I know, we are really bad) so he's never around other dogs...not sure if he would be aggressive or not. I guess there is only one way to find out! Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Shrinkinmom (Chis)! Glad to "see" ya!

Hope everyone is having a nice day!

Cappy,

I just wanted you (and everyone still to be banded) that I was so afraid of the breathing tube thing. I had a breathing tube once before when I had parathyroid surgery 10 years ago and I remembered the controversy of my breathing pa ssage not being clear. BUT, let me put your mind at rest about that.......You will meet with an anesthesiologist during your pre-surgical testing. They check out your breathing passageway and will be able to reassure you that everything will be fine! I was worried because of the last time I had it, but honestly, I did not even have a sore throat after this lap band procedure. I think that the anesthesia group they use is very very good! And....you will not feel it going in or coming out...you are asleep for it all! NOBODY was more paranoid about this than me. You will be fine !!!!

The breathing tube was a concern for me as well, but I did not feel a thing at all. You will already be under anesthesia and asleep when they insert and remove the tube.

When I woke up I didn't feel a difference in my throat. It did not hurt and it was not sore at all. And yes, you will meet with the anesthesiologist who will look at both your teeth and your throat SEVERAL times during the pre-screening.

Try not to worry too much. You will be in great hands. Good Luck to you all.

Hi everyone,

The educational class really scared me too. It also really excited me. I have read so much about the surgery nonoe of it was a suprise but like Fran said...it made it very real. I feel like I am self destrucitng leading up to this. My appetie is crazy. I am eating everything in sight. Does anyone ever feel like this surgery will work for everyone BUT them?

Cappy: How are you doing on the liquids? I start Thursday and I am scared about that too.

Lisa: I think meeting is a great idea. Evening works best for me and a diner is fine. We can still have tea or coffee.

And yes....I am just focusing on the Versed!!....LOL

Talk to everyone soon...

Hi Everyone!

Sue129: Hi Sue! I am now so very nervous...ever since the educational class! Not that I heard anything new, as you said, but just that it is getting so real now. My appetite has been out of control this past week also...as that liquid diet gets closer. I was going to start early but I didn't. The past 2 days I have been trying to eat much lighter, though.

Cappy: Hi Fran! I didn't focus on the part about the breathing tube...until you mentioned it...lol! I do agree 100% with your philosophy about the risks. Having surgery is always a risk, but remaining the way I am is a greater risk to my health now and in the future. So, it's time to take things into my own control and do something about it. And, this is the "something" I am doing for my own sake. I think your idea about meeting at a diner on 110 is greyt. You are right...we can sit there as long as we want and we can have coffee or tea or Soup, etc., depending upon what stage we are in. But we can always have water! I don't know the area that well, but I'm willing to go whereever is most convenient for us all. I am looking forward to meeting! When would everyone like to start meeting?

Candle: Your little Bella is beautiful! I can't wait to take my Juliette out for a long walk without my back hurting. Juliette would love to meet Bella and play with her sometime soon! And thank you so much for the Campbell's V8 soup suggestion! It's a greyt idea. I bought something like it at Costco...a soup in a box...and it is delicious. As soon as I run out of it, I will buy some of the Campbell's V8 soup. I always loved V8 pure vegetable juice also. Are we allowed to have that to drink on the liquid diet? You have done so well with the lapband! How does it feel to actually be below your target weight?!

Susancarole: I definitely am not driving myself to or from surgery. I want to thank you also very much for the offer of a ride. It is amazingly nice of you. My sister is taking me there and staying with me awhile on Monday, the day of surgery. She also rearranged as much of her work schedule as possible and can take me home the next day, as long as I can be discharged by 2pm the latest. I am assuming I won't be there longer than that...I hope not! Meanwhile...you are doing so well...42 pounds already! That is fantastic!

Well, tomorrow I'm off to Fordham University to see my wonderful niece being honored at the Dean's List ceremony. She is a senior and this is her 4th time! She is pre-med, is number 1 in her class, has a 4.0, and has just been accepted to 2 medical schools so far...with more acceptances to come!!! I'm such a proud aunt!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Lisa

The breathing tube was a concern for me as well, but I did not feel a thing at all. You will already be under anesthesia and asleep when they insert and remove the tube.

When I woke up I didn't feel a difference in my throat. It did not hurt and it was not sore at all. And yes, you will meet with the anesthesiologist who will look at both your teeth and your throat SEVERAL times during the pre-screening.

Try not to worry too much. You will be in great hands. Good Luck to you all.

Cappy,

I just wanted you (and everyone still to be banded) that I was so afraid of the breathing tube thing. I had a breathing tube once before when I had parathyroid surgery 10 years ago and I remembered the controversy of my breathing pa ssage not being clear. BUT, let me put your mind at rest about that.......You will meet with an anesthesiologist during your pre-surgical testing. They check out your breathing passageway and will be able to reassure you that everything will be fine! I was worried because of the last time I had it, but honestly, I did not even have a sore throat after this lap band procedure. I think that the anesthesia group they use is very very good! And....you will not feel it going in or coming out...you are asleep for it all! NOBODY was more paranoid about this than me. You will be fine !!!!

susancarole: Okay, I feel a little better....thanks for your encouraging words!!! You too msjessy, thank you!

Sue: I did not start liquids yet....everyday I keep saying I'm going to start today, but haven't....not sure I'll be able to go three weeks with liquids, although I have done it in the past on liquid diets....but right now, I guess because I know I'm going to be banded, I've been eating out of control! I need to GET A GRIP on this! Tomorrow I'm going to go food shopping and get everything I need....maybe I can start this on Tuesday....at least TRY!

I wanted to ask you guys, are you all using the Medifast shakes? I know that the nutritionist also said we could get whey Protein from either Trader Joes or GNC....I ordered one box of Medifast to try it, its okay....thought I would try the whey Protein, but not sure that I should switch? What are you guys using for Protein Shakes? I've read what other's on this site are using, but I would rather hear from Dr. Geiss's patients! Thanks!

Have a great night! Oh, and by the way, Happy Belated Halloween!

Fran

Fran,

You know, you should not feel guilty that you have not started liquids yet! They just require it for 7 days. And like you said, you need to do it for 3 weeks anyway (the week prior and two weeks after surgery). Trust me when I tell you that you will be sick of liquids. SO, don't stress yourself out now !!!!!

As far as the medifast is concerned, that is the only shake I used- even though I was not fond of it. I had bought so much so, PLEASE- DO NOT purchase the whole 3 weeks of it! Besides it being expensive, you will grow very tired of it as well. AND< I HAVE so much left over that I would be happy to give you some when we all can meet sometime!!!!!

Hi to everyone else also!

Sue

Hi Everyone!

I'm excited for you all who have up-coming surgeries....I wish you the best of luck....you'll do fine!

CAPPY: You were asking about the Protein shakes...I was banded by Dr. Geiss and I used the unjury Protein shakes (ordered via the internet). I posted on this thread about this a few weeks ago saying how pleased I was, and still am, about the product. I first initially ordered a few samples to try and I really was suprised at how good it tastes. I didn't like the taste of the Medifast. And the Unjury is just as good nutritionally, if not better....lots of whey protein. I lost 13 pounds that pre-op liquid week. Hope this helps!

Lisa P. :thumbup: