Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roll Call Nurses Being Sleeved ...........

Hi' date=' I went back to work on the 10th day. But since I had a hernia repair as well I was put on a weight restriction. There is no way u can do all that work, the bathing, repositioning and dealing with disoriented pts..after surgery u get tired real fast n with nursing u dont have time to drink like u should...If u have only 2weeks..ask the dr if he can put u on light duty for a couple of weeks? That's what I suggest... good luck!

[/quote']

thank you for you response. I will have surgery on Mexico, and back to work its the part that really scare me most. I dont want that anybody but my family knows about my surgey. but im afraid that i must tell the thruth to my manager.

After the advice of another nurse I work with who was sleeved I'm taking 6 weeks

Hi 3 years ICU nurse here. not sleeved yet but im planning going to mx before this year ends. I really worried about the weight cause in our unit we must give baths and make the changes of position and battle with the usual disoriented patient. I will have only 2 weeks free.

I will love to hear some experiences thanks.

I work weekends on an Ortho/Neuro floor and we do a lot of the physical pushing and pulling as well. I took off 11 days and when I came back to work I didn't have any issues. I didn't take any pain meds past the 3rd day post op and as long as I drank my Protein shake everyday lack of energy wasn't a problem either. Maybe my case is the exception, but I really didn't think the surgery was that big of deal. Hopefully yours will be the same too! Good luck to you!

llangsto thank you very much for you response. I hope to have a great recovery like you. :D

Hi! Have been a RN for over 36 years: ~18 in surgery & 18 in case management / management. Everyone is so right about knowing too much! Have also been a widow for 14 years today as a matter of fact.

The big aha moment for me was the recent acceleration of health decline where all the signs pointed to my weight.

Now going through the insurance process & very thrilled to have this app & forum. Especially happy to find the nurses!

I work weekends on an Ortho/Neuro floor and we do a lot of the physical pushing and pulling as well. I took off 11 days and when I came back to work I didn't have any issues. I didn't take any pain meds past the 3rd day post op and as long as I drank my Protein Shake everyday lack of energy wasn't a problem either. Maybe my case is the exception, but I really didn't think the surgery was that big of deal. Hopefully yours will be the same too! Good luck to you!

Wow! I pray my recovery is as good as yours! My doc promises me I will ready to return to work as a labor/delivery nurse in just 2 weeks-I thought he was pulling my leg! I plan on requesting 6 weeks just in case. I also don't want anyone, other than my director to know about my surgery-so I want to go back 100%. Thanks for sharing!@

Been a cardiac nurse in a specialty hospital for 13 years, a progressive care unit. Scheduled for Sept 25 with Dr Alvarez. Planning on 6 weeks. They don't do light duty anymore at my hospital (too many people took advantage :-(( I do a fair to large amount of lifting and pulling, especially since my patient population is in the 70-plus year old range.

I see the direct results of obesity and bad choices in my patients daily. I don't want to be in the same boat as I age. My feet hurt from the moment I hit the floor, my back will ache for hours after bending over to do vent baths or lengthy dressing changes. God forbid running to a code. So I am definitely looking forward to getting my "oomph" back. Hope we will continue to stay in touch through our journey. I think it's great to have a support system WITHIN a support system. Best of luck to us all!!

I am a 33 year old RN. I am evening shift Psych RN over a 21 male inpatient acute care ward. I was sleeved on the 19th. I'll be off 2 weeks and return on light duty on Thursday. I'll remain light duty until I'm confident I can go an entire shift without passing out. :)

Edited to add: I have one year of experience. I also had a pretty significant hiatal hernia repair. He's pretty sure he's cured my GERD and honestly, I haven't had an issue with that. I was up, peeing, and walking 20 minutes after being brought to my room. I had pain controlled with morphine while in the hospital. Nausea, of course. At home Lortab Elixer, Phenergan gel, and Gas X Strips have been wonderful. I'm having my butt handed to me by fatigue. I'm sure this amazing Texas 103F heat isn't helping. :)

Question for the nurses: I am only planning on taking off a week from work since I have a total desk job. Do you think I am being realistic? I bounce back pretty quick (had my gallbladder out on a Friday & back on Monday).

Question for the nurses: I am only planning on taking off a week from work since I have a total desk job. Do you think I am being realistic? I bounce back pretty quick (had my gallbladder out on a Friday & back on Monday).

I am planning on 10 days. Op on wed go back the second monday. i do home care. Mostly prepouring meds and vital signs and education. Worst part is in and out of the car for 3-4 visits a day and the driving. The rest is non physical.

You might be ready. I'm only taking a little extra time because of the fatigue. If I were a desk jockie I would have been back by now. :)

RN for 15 years. I am a nursing instructor at a local college. I was sleeved in March & have lost 56 lbs! Loving life but not the heartburn ????

Sent from my iPhone using VST

JBOSS: Question for the nurses: I am only planning on taking off a week from work since I have a total desk job. Do you think I am being realistic? I bounce back pretty quick (had my gallbladder out on a Friday & back on Monday).

I had mine July 25th and went back to work today at a semi-desk job. I managed fine but did get a little tired and weak. But Going back again tomorrow to do it all over again. I found that I was getting busy with work and not drinking like I should. Good Luck to you!

Hi! Have been a RN for over 36 years: ~18 in surgery & 18 in case management / management. Everyone is so right about knowing too much! Have also been a widow for 14 years today as a matter of fact.

The big aha moment for me was the recent acceleration of health decline where all the signs pointed to my weight.

Now going through the insurance process & very thrilled to have this app & forum. Especially happy to find the nurses!

Me too, I just stumbled on this section today, very encouraging. Good luck with your surgery.

I am a recent licensed LPN with future NP goals; I have done the majority of testings but my nutritional visits is holding me up; I have 4 more to go; seeing all these nurses makes me happy so hopefully I can lean on you all for sleeve advice as well as nursing advice