Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC September Chat

Oh, you guys kill me! I can't believe we're so in sync with each other - really strange! I finally had the scale move too and that's AFTER I ate the 3 slices of pizza! WTH? I've heard that increasing the calories prevents the old bod from thinking we're trying to starve it so it plays nice and drops some weight - ok by me! I'm finally back down to my lowest post-op weight - I think my signature still has that weight on it so it's actually correct now!

I'm very proud and impressed with those of you that are sticking with your liquids and mushies - I'm sure you'll be better off in the long run for it but I just don't have that much self control. Once I discovered that most things go down just fine there was no turning back! The only thing I'm noticing that I have trouble with is soft breads and if I don't chew my meat well enough - other than that it's a free for all! I do still try to eat oatmeal or scrambled eggs for Breakfast but the rest of the day I haven't been very compliant! The quantity I'm eating is much smaller than I used to eat but I know I'm still eating way too much - I'm just not feeling the fullness.

Chrissie - don't give up yet, give yourself at least 8 months because the first few fills may not even be right for you. Finding the right amount is going to be very individual and you can't compare yourself to anyone else. One of the doctors also told me that even if I find the perfect level of fill for me now, as I lose weight I will probably need adjustments. She described this like a watch I wear around my wrist loosens as I lose weight and so will the band - makes sense to me! You might try weighing once a week or better yet, once every two weeks so you don't see those same few lbs up and down every day before you have a drop. You'll do well, just give yourself some time!

TTFN - take care and talk to you soon!

Robin: I called the office to see when the meetings were and she told me that they have them all over to check the website. I could not find the website (either houstonbandsters or texasbandsters) but I will continue to look.

For us Houstonians:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/HoustonAreaBandsters/

the next meeting is 9/16, that's Saturday, I can't make it on Saturdays, too busy with the kids. I wish it was after work, I could just swing by on the way home.

The chicken enchiladas are easy. Cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot, and add mushroom Soup (no milk or water) and a teaspoon of cumin at the end. Roll the chicken up with a little fat-free cheese in each tortilla, and put them side-by-side in a baking dish with enchilada sauce poured over them and some more cheese. Bake for half hour or so. I LOVE these.

You are all the kindest group of people ever. Thanks to every one on this board for being so supportive and undertsanding to this lost soul you have never meet. I hate sounding so depressing,its really not like me,I am usualy the one trying to always stay possitive and cheer other people, so its just such a nice feeling knowing your all out there.I really do thank you all. Be well my friends.

Ohh! and great news! my 10 mo old $2,700.00 refrigerator craped out!!!Perfect timing! I'm not upset at all! (husband needs meds)

I had my fill this morning - 1.6 cc in a 9.75 band. It was a piece of cake and there was just a little pinch when they inserted the needle (a short one). I then had to drink a 1/4 of a Water bottle. It was done and over within 15 minutes. For the next two days I am back to liquids, and then 2 days of soft foods before I can move onto solids. I did not eat Breakfast so I felt hunger pains on the way home. Once home, I finished the Water, drank some broth and now I am fine. They expect me back in 4-5 weeks for a 2nd fill. I talked with several other women while I was there. One was getting her 2nd fill only 2 weeks after her first. Another told me it took 2-3 fills before she felt constriction. One woman had lost 88 pounds after being banded a year. Another had lost 34 pounds after being banded a year.

For patients of Dr. Spivak: Did anyone tell you that if you lost a certain percentage of your weight by your first anniversary that you get your 2nd year of fills free? If this is the case, do you know what the percentage is? A lady there thought it was either 50% or 80%.

For patients of Dr. Spivak: Did anyone tell you that if you lost a certain percentage of your weight by your first anniversary that you get your 2nd year of fills free? If this is the case, do you know what the percentage is? A lady there thought it was either 50% or 80%.

Dr. Spivak did mention this to me and it was 50%. If you reach 50% of your expected weight loss (which honestly, I never saw what he expected me to lose, my number is my own) within the first year, your second year of fills is free. LOL. No joke! It was one of the many, many reasons I chose Spivak over Speigel.

Robin......i' Happy To Hear That Everything Went So Well. I Look Forward To Mine In A Week. I Heard 50% Also From The Other Thread. 15 Minutes Is Fast And It Does't Hurt! I Like That!

Do We Set Our Own Espected Goal Or Do They?

Diane

I think it is the goal you probably expressed to the doctor when you first saw him - so I guess it is your goal and not theirs.

I did hear one of the surgery center coordinators say that the folks who do the fills can reject you if they fill you have not followed the fill instructions. Like one woman who went in for a fill who was not losing weight, and never felt full. Come to find out it was because she was eating a jar of applesauce and chocolate each day which just slid past the band!

Robin......i' Happy To Hear That Everything Went So Well. I Look Forward To Mine In A Week. I Heard 50% Also From The Other Thread. 15 Minutes Is Fast And It Does't Hurt! I Like That!

Do We Set Our Own Espected Goal Or Do They?

Diane

My surgery was the same day as Robin's, and I, too had my first fill today, but a bit later in the day than Robin. It was easy. Little to no pain. She put in 1.5 cc's, then took out either .2 or .3. She told me not to expect a big change from the first fill, and that it would probably take 2-3 fills to get good restriction. I haven't really eaten anything today except a Protein shake, but I did feel the Fluid going into the band and I have a vague sense of feeling "different". I hope I will have some restriction b/c I've had none since a couple of weeks post-op. Dr. Spivak himself told me that if I lost 1/2 of my excess weight, the second year of fills would be "free". We didn't talk specifically about what that number would be but in my case he said it was about 35 lbs.

I also talked to several gals and one man who were at different points in their journey. One lady had been banded for 2 years, had lost 70 lbs and had gained back 20. Another one was 3 months post-op and having her third fill and had experienced a lot of problems post-fill with regurgitation. Another lady had her surgery in Feb. and had lost over 100 lbs!!

My surgery was the same day as Robin's, and I, too had my first fill today, but a bit later in the day than Robin. It was easy. Little to no pain. She put in 1.5 cc's, then took out either .2 or .3. She told me not to expect a big change from the first fill, and that it would probably take 2-3 fills to get good restriction. I haven't really eaten anything today except a Protein shake, but I did feel the Fluid going into the band and I have a vague sense of feeling "different". I hope I will have some restriction b/c I've had none since a couple of weeks post-op. Dr. Spivak himself told me that if I lost 1/2 of my excess weight, the second year of fills would be "free". We didn't talk specifically about what that number would be but in my case he said it was about 35 lbs.

I also talked to several gals and one man who were at different points in their journey. One lady had been banded for 2 years, had lost 70 lbs and had gained back 20. Another one was 3 months post-op and having her third fill and had experienced a lot of problems post-fill with regurgitation. Another lady had her surgery in Feb. and had lost over 100 lbs!!

I have to agree with the "not much restriction in your first fill" I'm not feeling much at all, actually. I haven't lost any weight in a week and I'm struggling not to overeat. I'm calling my surgeon for another fill probably later this week.

Chrissie--ARGHHH! I hate it when that kind of crap happens!!! That usually makes me reach for the Swiss Cake Rolls or potato chip bag! Good luck on your new fridge buying adventure!

As for me--well, the scale has decided NOT to move past a 20 pound loss, but I have been noticing my stomach is shrinking! Thank god or else I would really be gettting depressed! I am however going to change my goal for September to 5 pounds--not 10-- because I am starting solids this Friday!! YEE-HAW!

Keep going ABC--we're doing great!

Okay, somehow I did not have the heart (or stomach) to return to liquids yesterday although it is what the doctor ordered. So last night I had some smushed avocado, a little ground hamburger, 2 scallops, applesauce, broth, but I never felt any restriction. Today I had 3 small pieces of chicken and 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes for lunch and never felt any restriction. I stopped for fear of hitting the wall. Although I am eating less than I did during the weekend and don't feel hungry. I did lose a pound between yesterday and today so I guess that is good. What I liked about how I felt just after the surgery was this clear signal from my stomach of "whoa, that's enough". When I don't feel that then my head hunger feels it has room to play. I guess time will tell.