Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC September Chat

Chrissie, don't give up! You're 7lbs less than you were 2 weeks ago. That's pretty impressive when you think about it! The weight's not going to fall off fast like it would with bypass. Just hang in there till your fill. Your body's been through a huge change and needs time to adjust.

Mstrish, I was on liquids for 3 weeks before moving to pureed food. I'll have a total of 3 weeks on purees, then move to soft. 3 weeks of that, the regular. It sucks!

What's everyone having for Breakfast these days? I'm tired of oatmeal and hate yogurt and cottage cheese. I'm at a loss for what to eat these days!

O.K. I have to tell you all that I have officialy given up. I am not kidding. I am not having any part of this daily struggle with food. I have never had any restriction, and it has totaly sucked. I should not be able to eat the type OR quantity of food that I am. I have been trying to make changes in bad eating habits, but I am giving up. I can't beat myself up everyday with the scale and the guilt. Yeah, I lost 7lbs. and thats great...but I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op. Those 7 where from the 1st week and not an oz. since. So from now on I'm removing the self imposed noose around my neck, and have come to the dissapointing conclusion that I will just have to wait untill after my first fill on 10/2 before I can tell if I just wasted $10,000!. I was fully aware going into this, that the first 6 wks. are for healing and not about losing, but I can't help feeling like I am failing again. I can only hope that after the fill I get some help. Thanks for letting me vent, you guys are the best!

Chrissie, I know how you feel. This isn't easy, I know. But it's really too soon to make the decision that this isn't working for you. I've already had my first fill and I've stalled again too. I suppose I need the band to be filled more. This is new for all of us. I really think we need to remember that we are still learning how to live and work with this band, and this change in lifestyle. I have my days when I get on the scale and don't see the results I'm hoping for. I usually end up being pretty cranky for a few hours until I think about what I may have done wrong and what changes I can make. Hang in there and do the best you can until your first fill.

As for the other members of the ABC, I'm so glad to see how everyone jumped to the aid of someone feeling down and discouraged. That's what the ABC is all about.:rolleyes:

What's everyone having for Breakfast these days? I'm tired of oatmeal and hate yogurt and cottage cheese. I'm at a loss for what to eat these days!

This sounds disgusting, but it's pretty good (and I don't like peanut butter). I found it on the food forum on LBT and have changed it up a little.

Peanut Butter banana smoothie (17 g Protein):

1/2 jar Stage 3 banana Baby food (Gerber is better than Beechnut)

1 TBSP. Peanut Butter

2-3 packets Splenda

1 Cup Skim Milk

I am going to try this tomorrow morning with real "adult" bananas.

Hey bug,

Usually Monday through Friday I just have a sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast. It fills me up and has a lot of Protein.

On the weekends I usually do the "big breakfast" for my family so I try to join in. I can have scrambled eggs with cheese. (the cheese makes them softer.) I can also have some turkey bacon or turkey sausage, (I just have to make sure its not overcooked) Or I'll have a ham and cheese omlette. Of course, I'm only eating about 1 egg and 1 strip of bacon or sausage. But it feels good to be eating something "hearty"

Hi gang...

Sorry I've been MIA....just busy, I guess. But I love the support here and it's wonderful to be with a group that's going through exactly the same thngs I am, at the same time I'm going through them.

First of all, Chrissy...don't beat yourself up. Try try try to be patient....easier said than done, right? I will tell you that I was really stalled on weight loss until I upped my cals from 800 to at least 1000 p/day. It really got me going. That, along with the cardio exercise, seems to make all the difference. I didn't lose for almost 10 days after surgery. Very frustrating.

We all need to think back to a year ago today and remember that we were probably gaining a pound a week, not losing it. A pound or two loss a week is acceptable, right? I don't think we should expect more.

Mstrish, I was on liquids for 3 weeks before moving to pureed food. I'll have a total of 3 weeks on purees, then move to soft. 3 weeks of that, the regular. It sucks!

What's everyone having for breakfast these days? I'm tired of oatmeal and hate yogurt and cottage cheese. I'm at a loss for what to eat these days!

So you have nine weeks of no "real" food? You're a saint! And I thought 4 weeks of liquids and 2 of mushies was tough. I sure hope I can go to real food after that. Sheeesh.

For breakfast I'm still doing the shake thing. Here's what I put in mine:

• vanilla carnation instant breakfast (in a container) for the carb conscious
  • 1 scoop benefiber
  • 1 scoop vanilla Protein powder
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • a handful of frozen strawberries

It's incredibly thick and smooth. I can only drink about 1/2 of it in the morning and have the second half before lunch. I find that five small meals a day works best for me.

Keep those mushy meal ideas coming. I start on Wednesday and am SO looking forward to a scrambled egg. I've been eating a lot of pureed bean Soup (thank heavens for liquid Beano), so the refried Beans with guac thing isn't that thrilling to me. Ooooooo.....I just thought of the ultimate mushy - Hummus! I LOVE hummus and it's high in Protein. Today I put some tofu in my Soup to up the protein. I'm getting way over the 65 grams that the doc wanted me to have.

Ok...gotta go. Off to a dinner party where I'll be sipping mine. *sigh*

Hi there, I just got through reading this post. I was on the last but took time to read all.

Robin: I called the office to see when the meetings were and she told me that they have them all over to check the website. I could not find the website (either houstonbandsters or texasbandsters) but I will continue to look.

I have been sick for the last week. :sick Came down with a cold and in bed for 3 days. Now I just have a bad cough. I was afraid that I might hurt my band so I called to check with the Dr's office and they said it should be ok and it won't hurt my band. wow what a relief. Now i can cough and not worry! lol

I too have been going up and down. I just decided to not get on the scale. At first it was hard but better than getting upset not losing or gaining.

For breakfast I have a Protein drink, either 1 cup slim milk, frozen banana, 1 splenda, scoop of Protein, and frozen fruit of any kind (4-5 lg strawberrys or 10-15 blueberrys etc) and if you like 2 spoons of vanilla fat free yogart. total of 26-28 gm of protein. (I break a banana in 3-4 pieces and put in a baggie and freeze)

or if I get tired of the thick fruit ones I do this one.

8 oz of orange juice

1 splenda packet

1 raw egg

scoop of protein 23 grams of protein

This tastes like a orange julieus (sp) really a nice change and you can not taste the egg.

If Iam still hungry I would have some oatmeal. I have my Protein Drink about 4:30am and would have the instant oatmeal about 8am.

For lunch I have tuna which is 13 grams of protein for only half a can.

Diane

Hi everyone,

I was banded 8/30 and I feel like I can eat anything! My doc progresses the diet pretty quickly, no I'm not eating pizza, but eggs, potatos, etc. For breakfast I have a few bites of an potato, egg, and cheese omelet. For lunch Soup, usually. For dinner, Beans, tuna, or a little of whatever my family is having, depending. Of course, I have strayed and I went a little nuts yesterday and had cheese sticks from Sonic. I have not had trouble with anything, even had a little popcorn. My doc is going to give me my 1st fill on 9/4 since I have been pretty hungry at times. I'm just curious at to if this is normal or not? Most everyone here seems to be sticking to mushies still and most are still losing. I was not losing anything and had actually gained 3 pounds on the mushies. I finally lost a pound since eating the cheese sticks yesterday! Maybe the increase in calories? Any suggestions?

Connie

Happy2BMe - I found that when I increased my calories to at least 1000 - 1200 a day, I started loosing again.

losin it,

have you had a fill yet? do you still have cravings? I have serious cravings....I think this is food addiction, how long b4 I lose the cravings?

Happy2BMe-I have NOT had a fill yet. It is currently scheduled for 9/25. The only thing I have been craving is Mexican food (I have read this is VERY normal), and that really isn't that bad anymore. Other than that, no truely ongoing cravings. I find that if I do something, play a computer game, read the forums, etc. when I do have a little craving it passes quickly. There are many "bad" foods that I used to love such as mashed potatos, that now taste so bland to me. I tought not having Coke and Dr. Pepper would be a problem too, but all I crave now is Water, water, and more water. I did have a craving for McDonalds breakfast this week and had an egg mcmuffin for breakfast Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (no hashbrowns and no coke), but ate "correctly" the rest of the day and still lost weight. I think the key is that if you have a craving, satisfy it, but with moderation.

I stalled for 8 days, 3 of which were liquid and 5 were purreed, once I startred incorporating soft (more caloric) foods I started losing again. I think there is a relationship between increasing calories and actually losing weight....odd huh?

Okay, so it's just not me who craves Mexican food. I make Mexican food with 90% fat free beef, or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, nonfat cheddar cheese, nonfat refried Beans and nonfat sour cream. I make tacos, chicken enchiladas, nachos, fajitas - it's all good!

Man I have been dying for a taco! When I eat Mexican I can't eat just one thou so if I can give up Pepsi I can go without the taco.

So you have nine weeks of no "real" food? You're a saint! And I thought 4 weeks of liquids and 2 of mushies was tough. I sure hope I can go to real food after that. Sheeesh.

Actually, if you add in the 2 week pre-op diet where I was only allowed 4 cans of Slim Fast a day, it'll be almost 3 months before I can have real food. :faint: Yep, it SUCKS and I'm HUNGRY! :hungry: How sad is it that I'm now really looking forward to next Tuesday when I can progress to soft foods? This puree stuff is getting really boring. Of course, 2 weeks ago, I was thrilled to get on purees. It's all semantics, right?

And weird about the Mexican cravings, that's what I've got a taste for too.