Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing Bothers Me? Really?

So I'm almost 3 months out. Down 60 pounds including pre-op, and all along I was told that there would be times when a new food would bother me. I've not yet allowed myself a cheat meaning bread, burgers, anything breaded or fried. But I've not had one moment where I've felt sick or known I couldn't eat anything. 2-3 oz of anything and I'm still fine. Mind you it's all been protein(eggs, nuts, chicken, shrimp). I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse. What happens when I want to try something sweet, or fried?

I dont know about fried food coz I havent tried deep fried food yet. But I can share my experiences with sweet. Sweet doesnt taste 'sweet' anymore - you know what I mean? chocolate is no longer my haven from stress and loneliness. I do like some milk based sweets and I taste it every other week to see if there is any marked improvement in my taste - but nothing till now, and I'm more than 5 months out. I hope I regain my taste buds atleast for my sweets. I know I have built a pretty strong tolerance and can control my cravings, but not even liking sweets anymore - the thought makes me sad :(

I'm with you, Star! Nothing has bothered my sleeve, but like you, I haven't tried bread, Desserts or Pasta and i'm not missing it a bit. I did have a couple of small spoonfuls of Israeli Cous Cous and it tasted good! But, i concentrate on Protein. Tonight was Korean Style Short Ribs, grilled with an heirloom cherry Tomato salad and one stalk of brocollini. It was delicious and filled me up perfectly! My issue is getting in the 800 calories my NUT wants me to get in while still eating so little really. I'm at about 1/2 cup food each meal and cannot get in more and i eat five small meals a day! I'm still only consuming around 600 calories most days and that's with a RTD protein shake! I'm 8 weeks out tomorrow. How many calories are you getting in? I think we are eating the way we should and I'm not ready to test the waters with any fried food or sweets. It's just not worth it to me!

Totally understand that. My weakness is cake and ice cream. I've been around it and can turn it down due to sheer motivation, but what if I still love it? I know this surgery isn't a fix all and suddenly you're fixed from all the bad habits you had with the fatty food, but was hoping my sleeve would set some "off limits" signs for me.

I'm with you' date=' Star! Nothing has bothered my sleeve, but like you, I haven't tried bread, desserts or Pasta and i'm not missing it a bit. I did have a couple of small spoonfuls of Israeli Cous Cous and it tasted good! But, i concentrate on Protein. Tonight was Korean Style Short Ribs, grilled with an heirloom cherry Tomato salad and one stalk of brocollini. It was delicious and filled me up perfectly! My issue is getting in the 800 calories my NUT wants me to get in while still eating so little really. I'm at about 1/2 cup food each meal and cannot get in more and i eat five small meals a day! I'm still only consuming around 600 calories most days and that's with a RTD protein shake! I'm 8 weeks out tomorrow. How many calories are you getting in? I think we are eating the way we should and I'm not ready to test the waters with any fried food or sweets. It's just not worth it to me![/quote']

I get 600-700. More focused on my carb intake. Only 20-25 of those. Protein Drink made with light silk for Breakfast, snack of nuts or light cheese stick, salad with chicken or shrimp for lunch, almonds for snack, baked chicken, fish, or shrimp for lunch. I realized years ago that carbs and I aren't friends. Thankfully this surgery helped me by letting me get full quicker and stay full. Or I'd be running to brownies lol

I have had some "bad stuff" here and there.... To me moderation is the key. I got some nuggets from ChikFila and managed to get 3 of them down and felt stuffed..... not sick.. but they were good and solid Protein. I have also had one oreo which was okay but my belly burned a lil after (Acid). I have had about 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream with some sliced strawberries and that went down good as well. But... I don't crave the sweets. If I want something sweet I eat it and the craving is gone very quick. Not like before sleeve when I would eat 8-10 Oreos or a big piece of cake AND ice cream..... bread sits okay on my belly as well but it's very filling so I try not to eat it often.

I started eating some of the different foods mainly because I was curious and wanted to see how my new belly tolerated it. Kinda glad that I did cause I now realize that I don't need it and could really care less about eating an Oreo ever again.. :) The desire just isn't there for me anymore. Guess that is a good thing right?? :)

It has really messed up my taste. Now I absolutely detest chocolate, cake, pie, Cookies. I have tried it all and have heaved with every bit of it. It is just ungodly sweet now! I can eat a little vanilla ice cream, but even that gags me some times. I used to love chocolate. It kind of bothers me that I can't eat it; because I can't eat more than a bite of anything, I know for sure that I wouldn't over do it. My mom brought my husband and me a box of Russell Stouffer's bloopers back from the mountains last week. I put one in my mouth, chewed it a little and had to spit it out. It gaged me and I knew that I would throw up if I swallowed it. It is amazing to me just how much your taste can change with this; after all, they changed our stomachs, not our tongues...lol.

It has really messed up my taste. Now I absolutely detest chocolate' date=' cake, pie, Cookies. I have tried it all and have heaved with every bit of it. It is just ungodly sweet now! I can eat a little vanilla ice cream, but even that gags me some times. I used to love chocolate. It kind of bothers me that I can't eat it; because I can't eat more than a bite of anything, I know for sure that I wouldn't over do it. My mom brought my husband and me a box of Russell Stouffer's bloopers back from the mountains last week. I put one in my mouth, chewed it a little and had to spit it out. It gaged me and I knew that I would throw up if I swallowed it. It is amazing to me just how much your taste can change with this; after all, they changed our stomachs, not our tongues...lol.[/quote']

I really hope that happens to me. I know I will one day actually take a bite of cheese cake, or pound cake... I just don't want to like it lol. Post surgery, some of the shakes I tried were too sweet (had to change the one I thought I liked due to taste post op). Just hoping it changes the taste of all sweet stuff lol

I have tried everything! Sweets, rice, bread and whatever else. Nothing at all has bothered me!

I do notice that sweets are too sweet now, I go for dark chocolate instead of milk.

As for bread and rice - I have had tiny amounts and haven't had problems yet. But I also noticed that my favorite, sourdough, was a little too sour! Which is odd because I love lemons with salt and pickles as snacks!

Nothing bothers me either and that worries me. I am not the chocolate lover I used to be. I am not the bread enthusiast that I was. But I absolutely love juice! I can eat about 4 oz.of Protein at a time and feel comfortably full. I am 3 months out and down about 20 lbs (not counting presurgery loss). I took a couple of weeks off from exercising because I had a family emergency. I plan on resuming my activities tomorrow. I also took time from this board and I know that wasn't a good move. I need the support from all you guys :-)

I want to be able to have just a bite of stuff. I don't want anything to be off limits. I truly enjoy food and want that to continue. I love to cook fresh, healthy stuff for my family. I'm not a baker and have never gone tooooo much for the sweet stuff. Unless it's ice cream. My problem is volume. I've always been a volume eater. I won't miss that at all!!!

I want to be able to have just a bite of stuff. I don't want anything to be off limits. I truly enjoy food and want that to continue. I love to cook fresh, healthy stuff for my family. I'm not a baker and have never gone tooooo much for the sweet stuff. Unless it's ice cream. My problem is volume. I've always been a volume eater. I won't miss that at all!!!

^^^This is totally me, and maybe why it has been so effortless. I do stay away from simple carbs, but I have tasted things. Many sweets are too sweet for me now, but I never had a love affair with them before. If the kids have dessert, I may have a taste. I have had some fried foods, but again, not a meals worth. The only thing that has bothered my stomach was lobster bisque. I had that early post op and I'm thinking it was probably the fat content. It's likely made with cream and it was just too rich so early post after being on such a strict diet for the prior month. Also, dense raw veggies like radishes and carrots sit like a lead weight.

wow i hope im am as lucky as you guys :)

I've had no nausea, and no vomiting. I've not developed any intolerances, tho milk tastes a little weird (but I wasn't a milk drinker before, so this isn't necessarily a sleeve thing). There are some foods I feel more than others, but I eat them just fine. My capacity remains around 2 - 3 oz. Some foods I can go with 4 (like sashimi) and some I can go with 1.

My NUT gave me 100 "play" calories in effort to break a stall that I couldn't get rid of, and just to up my overall calorie intake (on a good day I hit in the range of 700, I'm usually around 600, and she wants me 800 - 1000). I have tried fried foods - fried pickles - which is fine. I actually don't like fried foods, so they're not a temptation. I don't really like potatoes so things like french fries, potato chips... I can take or leave. I've also had fried shrimp, no problems.

My NUT gave me specific instructions to include breads/grains, so bread is not a no-no for me. I just - again - don't really care for it all that much. I've gone with a much healther cracker type product.

I am also 3 months out. I have allowed myself to venture out and taste all sorts of things. What I cannot tolerate at this point is hot dogs. I've had bread, Pasta ,and rice I tend to stick to the Protein first rule, which does not allow me too much carbs. As far as sweets I have them every once in a while and I still love them, however everything is soo much more rich, so I can only tolerate a small portion. My sleeve is a blessing, it forces moderation on me.