Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discrimination :(

Have never felt so ugly in my life. Has anyone had any discrimination against them because they are big? I'm so sick of it. Recently I started a new job. So I've been going on Craigslist to find some new friends and such. So l be having a great conversation and the dreaded photo part of the convo comes up. I and my photo and just like that, people stop talking to me. Look. I know I'm not a looker. But I managed to snag a husband at the ripe age of 18 so I know I can't be completely disgusting looking. Ugh I'm so sick and tired of not having friends. I'm also sick and tired of putting myself out there whenever I just keep getting hurt by these ignorant fools. :(

Hi there. The world can truly be a harsh place sometimes. The reality is that there is a lot discrimination happening and obese people are one of the groups it happens to. It's just a sad reality to me that anyone, for any reason, is discriminated against and I'm sorry that it's happened to you. Are there any local weight loss support groups in your area such as OA or one at a hospital? Some of the hospitals in my area have support groups specifically for people who have had or who are considering WLS. You might be able to connect with others in that setting. Lord knows, they shouldn't discriminate against you.

Oh, and a side note, if you click on the symbol by your post that looks like part of a down arrow, you can edit any mistakes.

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. Those people, they are strangers so their opinion of you is of no consequence. Don't give your power away to strangers and let them make you feel bad. Look instead at the love you can give yourself, the love in your family or marriage and the exciting journey you are on to transform your life. Be your own best friend and others will follow.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Sometimes people just suck. Sometimes our interpretation of the behaviours of others can be egocentric - that is their behaviours have nothing to do with us and more to do with what other things are happening in their lives. I'm guilty of being hypersensitive....sometimes my skin is thicker than others. The older I get the more I can shrug off people being sh*ts ... and more often I attribute their behaviour to them having a bad day - something I decide not to be a part of. We've all experienced it and it is easy to be offended, but if those d*cks really are having a go, then they are probably not the types of people you want as friends. This situation is one where I am happy to say age (I'm 42) has been hugely beneficial. We are all loved by somebody for reason's deeper than a pretty face.

I hope this doesn't offend, but you might want to stop looking for friends on Craigslist - that's usually not a great place to find quality people.

If the other half of your face matches the half I can see you look very pretty to me. Oh! That rhymed! You can only get to know people to a certain degree using technology. Ya know when you meet people in person? And you get a feeling or vibe so to speak. I think physical human contact is important for really getting to know someone, to really bond. Otherwise that person is a voice and an idea of a person. My point is make friends in person so people can FEEL who you are. But hey if you like texting let me know you can have my number. I'm not a nut case i promise! I have 6 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 1 great husband. And lots of room for all kinds of friends. Oh and I'm 38 yrs old and getting sleeved in Mexico in 9 days.

I feel you, I remember one time I responded to an ad on PlentyofFish saying they were desperate for another female soccer player for some community team and "appearance and skill level didn't matter." I never heard back after sending my message, but I could see my profile had been viewed by them, so obviously, I wasn't "hot enough."