Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Flat Out Hungry & It Sucks!

I have been hungry the past few days! It isn't head hunger, I get my fluids, I get around 80 grams of Protein, and I am on Nexium. I AM HUNGRY!! Like non stop! If I eat a few bites it is gone. I also drank a 16 oz smoothie/ shake today.. and didn't feel my full feeling. I am on mushies & eat filling meat based meals & typically 1 snack a day.

I feel the same way. I don't know what to do.

Forever- I'm pre-op so I'm sorry I have no advice, but I'm interested to see if some vets have any insight. How far out are you? I hope you feel like you're doing better soon.

I went through that too folks. For a good two months, I was ravenously hungry. When they take out the large part of the stomach, that also removes most of the Grehlin (hunger hormone) producing center. Hormones are coursing all through your system, so when the production stops, it will take some time to get it all out of the system. Right at two months, I quit having trouble with that. Now and then I might have one day when I can't seem to stop wanting to eat, but it's not too often. Even then, a handful of something fills me up. Hang in there.

Thank you Dooter! I am almost hate to admit it because I am afraid this like so many other diets will fail.

Thank you Dooter! I am almost hate to admit it because I am afraid this like so many other diets will fail.

It's a lot of work, but THIS time it's work with RESULTS!! Our work gets rewarded with falling numbers this time! Makes it worth all the discomforts that come along. ;)

I was starving for some months as well. They said you would not be hungry, well now 5 months out I am not hungry. I am glad about that, but I do miss eating alot. I pray that in time my head and stomach will get together and it I won't care as much about what I can not do but what I can do and that my health and appearance is so much better. Talk at you all soon. I am still learning how to get around on this site, just started today.

I am hungry all the time...I'm 3 months out....I've lost 50 pounds. I feel hunger all day long...I only let myself eat 3 times a day because I fear that I will stretch...I've read that grazing is bad

I am hungry all the time...I'm 3 months out....I've lost 50 pounds. I feel hunger all day long...I only let myself eat 3 times a day because I fear that I will stretch...I've read that grazing is bad

There is nothing wrong with grazing as long as you monitor every single bite and don't go over your allotted calories for the day. But if you don't count every single morsel of food you put in your mouth, then yeah, that's where grazers can get into trouble. I have something about every 3 hours. I take in about 1000 calories a day and I'm rarely hungry unless I miss a meal. A big meal for me is 150 cal. Some of my other "meals" are 80 cal of Protein shake (1/3 of a shake). I try to get in 3 of those a day.

I've lost 31 pounds since my surgery on 5/10 and I haven't stalled at all.

Everyone needs to remember that this is not a diet. You need to let your body tell you what you need. I personally need to eat at least 5 times a day or I won't even come close to 800 calories. I have some days where I feel like I could eat and eat, and then other days I am not hungry at all. I think my body is still getting used to the lack of gherlin. Adipose tissue hides hormones that are randomly released when you lose large quantities of weight. I believe some days that hidden gherlin is released. After a while, things will level out. I am a slower loser than some others. I know I am doing what I am supposed to and my body is changing almost every time I look in the mirror. If I don't get in at least 1000 calories a day, I will lose for about 2 days, and then just stop. This one is rather hard for me because it is a struggle to get in that much and I am not going to force it. The point I am making though is that this is a voyage of self discovery and every single one of us is different. You have to listen to your body and find what works for you. However, I don't think you should be hungry all the time. You may need to speak with your nutritionist and she what they recommend. The good news is, from what I have been seeing on this site, it looks like it will stop eventually! Just hang in there!

Smoor you should read the literature on stretching your stomach, if it were that easy to stretch there would be no point to the surgery at all. We would all just mess it up pretty quickly. Yes, grazing can sabotage your efforts and you need to keep track of your intake until you reprogram your brain (you could eat an entire pizza a day if you cut it into a hundred pieces and grazed, that would definitely make you heavy again). How do you get in all your Protein in only 3 meals a day?

I personally eat every 3 hours so about 5-6 times a day. My calories are about 800 a day. It could also be that your on mushies, once I moved to solids I was able to eat foods that filled me up longer. I personally don't care for Protein Drinks, because the don't fill me up. So I choose to eat all of my Protein.< /p>

Ladyivy....I don't get any where near the protien I need!! I know its bab but I'm very obsessed with how many times I eat and how much...I do always eat high protien food tho..tuna salmon...fish shrimp...but I know its not enough...I just feel like if I eat 6 times a day my weight loss will stop and I have 60 pounds to go

Thanks!! I have started eating about 5 times a day. I eat my 3 meals & 2 Snacks. I am getting like 800-850 a day now. I feel so much better when I do!!

For me it was just like before sugery...if I waited too long to eat I was starving and then I would over eat. Yesterday I just couldn't eat and then I was starving and it seemed like even after I ate I still felt hungry, but just couldn't eat anymore. I always try to eat before I get to that point. If I miss my cheese for Breakfast I have a really off day. So I try not to skip meals and try to feel overly full when I do eat. So maybe you just need some smaller meals.