Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comment My Doctor Made That I Worry A Little About- Maybe Don't Look At This If Pre-Surgery

I need a little feedback. I had my pre-surgery visit with my doc yesterday and I asked him what I would feel like afterwards. (My surgery is Monday).

He gave the oddest response. He said, Think of it like if you were in a bar fight and were stabbed 5 times in the stomach. I would never say such a thing to a patient. I would never place myself in a situation like that visual.

Is this really true?

Yipes. Has me a little freaked out.

Why would he compare it to that I'm also post-op and if my surgeon said this I would be freak out myself.

After I had my gallbladder removed, my surgeon said basically the same thing. He asked how I was feeling and I said I had some pain. He said, "well you were stabbed five times." I guess it's a joke they tell among themselves. Surgeons aren't know for being the most sensitive souls around. You'll be fine. Yes, it will hurt. But you'll have some great pain meds. Don't let your doctor's attempt at humor scare you off.

wellll.... you will have 5 small incisions and they will smart a bit... but hey, you won't have the hangover ;-) Your surgeon was being, um, melodramatic and a tad insensitive. It didn't hurt that badly plus you will be supplied with good pain medication in case it does hurt. I only used the pain meds for a few days and I also had a large hernia repaired (which is what was hurting the most).

He's just being funny. :/

Wow - I don't know how I would have responded to a statement like that. I had my surgery on Monday and it feels just like I thought it would... bruised and sore but nothing a little pain medication doesn't cure. Honestly, I have had sprained ankles that felt worse. My challenge isn't the surgery pain, it's getting in the needed liquids.< /p>

Well I've never been in a fight or stabbed five times, but I have had the surgery. You will hurt from your incisions on the outside and your insides as well. Some of the incisions will hurt more than others, and it is hard to move round after surgery and get in and out of bed. This is why you will have pain medicine, so you can be more comfortable. Don't forget it's still major abdominal surgery so of course there is pain. Bt it's certainly not unbearable or acute horrible pain, it's soreness. I found it hard to get good sleep as you pretty much have to lie on your back all night for a couple of weeks. I took my pain meds for the first week and then once in a while as needed. Hope this helps

Think of it like if you were in a bar fight and were stabbed 5 times in the stomach

Celtic

His comment was totally inappropriate.,

I must say, i've never been in any type offight - I'm sure it must hurt a lot. Thats obviously what he was referring to. Then to say you would feel like you were stabbed 5 times. OMG :angry:

Its true that i have heard of some people on the board, not having the best of surgeries, and afterwards the recovery might have been a little difficule , but i think most people are fine. No stabbing feeling. :wacko:

In my case, i had absolutely no problems during surgery or recovery. The end results were terrific too.

Your dr. has no bedside manner. Sorry you heard his remark.

I'm sure your experience with the sleeve will be nothing but terrific. Yes you might have a little discomfort after the surgery that might last a few days. But all is worth it.

Relax over the week-end, I know you'll be alittle nervous, but all will be fine on Monday.

Good luck on your journey through sleeveland

kathy

I have read where some feel like a Mac truck ran over them. But that's to be expected after a major surgery. the only part I found painful was getting up and down in the bed. That's because of the incision site. I took full advantage of my morphine pump so that I could sleep through my time at the hospital. I don't think I really needed it though. After leaving the hospital, it was no problem. Some people have even slept in his/her recliner. ;) No worries, it will be worth it! :)

LOL...It's not as bad as all that! Sure, I've had better days, but 5 of my 6 incisions did not give me even the slightest bit of pain. Maybe itching, but they didn't hurt. The big one where he took out the stomach was the uncomfortable one. Even that wasn't bad. Ya, I think he WAS just trying to be funny, if badly so... :lol:

I need a little feedback. I had my pre-surgery visit with my doc yesterday and I asked him what I would feel like afterwards. (My surgery is Monday).

He gave the oddest response. He said, Think of it like if you were in a bar fight and were stabbed 5 times in the stomach. I would never say such a thing to a patient. I would never place myself in a situation like that visual.

Is this really true?

Yipes. Has me a little freaked out.

I think it was a joke. The gas made me uncomfortable until I walked it off, but my incisions never hurt. My stomach was a little tender, but I could not call it pain.

Everyone is different.

You will be very sore for the first few days. I was sleeved 5-29. Stayed in for 2 nights. The hardest part is getting in and out of the hospital bed. Today is day 10 and I am feeling great! You will be fine. I have never had any kind of surgery before and I was scared to death but it isnt all that bad. Good luck to you :)

Lori

Well hopefully you don't know how to compare the stabbings. Not very nice. I am 3 days out and I am stiff in my back and sore in stomach. My right side seems to hurt worse than my left. I have had a good experience so far and I am thankful the Lord! I had never had surgery so it was a new experience, but I went in telling myself it's going to hurt for a little while. Funny thing is when my doctor came by on the release date. I said to him "Now let me make sure we are the same page, I shouldn't be sore at all (smiling)". He replied "that's right you have been cut, poked, and proded no pain at all" (smiling). I said "good I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, as I told my nurse I would need the pain med for the drive home!!!"

Want to add the soreness and pain is really only on movement!

I think he was partly joking and partly truthful. My VSG incisions hardly hurt at all--I was sore, but not like I was stabbed five times. However, I was doped up really good so by the time I would have felt incision pain, I was 4 days post-op and it was gone.

But when I had my gallbladder removed (also laparascopic) I felt great and was discharged the same day. I told my surgeon I had no pain and his response was, "I put a lot of local (anesthesia) in those incisions. It doesn't hurt now but they will when the local wears off." He was right--the following day it did feel like I'd been stabbed, but it went away after a couple of days and I had pain meds to manage the discomfort. If that's what being stabbed feels like, I've felt loads worse. I dislocated my knee once and threw up from the pain.