Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learning To Eat Again And Very Slow Weight Loss

Please help. How do I get in an adequate amount of Protein on such a restrictive amount of food. I can not even swallow a Protein shot now. The last protein shot I took nauseated me. Now I'm moving to solids at 1/2 cup increments 3 x per day. Right now I try to get in 2- 1/2 portions a day. My weight loss is almost zero. At week 5 how much Water should I be drinking. Also do any of you experience fierce heartburn at this stage. I took more time off work because this I feel so uncomfortable. I know I'm not eating hardly anything so I am getting so confused why I have only lost 2lbs in two and half weeks. When on liquids post op I lost about a 1lb. The soft foods came 1/4 cup and the weight loss almost totally ended. I first thought I needed a cleansing (so I took Milk of Mag) went down but back up the very next day; I even walked for .5 of a mile. Either way I have to get it together.

Any suggestions.

Hey hun. It sounds like you hit that famous 3 week stall. 3 weeks after surgery I see tons of posts that people hit a stall for 2-3 weeks. Trust me, you will start losing again.

Sounds like your body is in starvation mode, you won't loose weight easily if your not consuming the proper amount of liquids and food. Your ideal liquid intake should be 64ounces, if you are newly post op this may seem impossible, but little by you should work at attaining this goal. This should be your first priority as dehydration can get you back in the hospital. They key to liquids is sip, sip, sip. As far as foods you should try slowly consuming soft foods, it may be a whole before you can actually consume all your Protein, but work on it, it is important. If you need to drink Protein Drinks to get your protein in. I hope this helps, and it does seem like a huge burden at first, but trust me when I say it does get better.

Thank you all so much. I did start trying to get in more liquids today. Does anyone recommend zero cal Vitamin Water? I too am very sensitive to artificial sweetners and after tast from artificial sweetners.

I love Sobe and Propel Vitamin waters. They are my new sodas. I don't even miss soft drinks.< /p>

You really do need to start getting your Protein in any way that you can. try the high Protein Shakes from Bariatric Advantage! They are great and have 27 grams of protein in an 8oz cup. They have all different flavors, i have the banana and just recently bought the strawberry and its great!., im 7 weeks out and i still take the shakes even though im eating protein all day. if i dont have a shake for Breakfast, im eating a piece of fish, or chicken. i make sure that i get the protein in. i am having a bit of trouble getting all my 64 oz in but i hope that the Decaf tea that i drink helps with that. You will get used to it but try to eat something maybe softer, you have to eat to lose weight. Your body is in shock right now and its gonna hold on to the fat if you dont reteach it. The stall is normal and you will get pass that. Good luck to you and If you need any further advice, let me know.

So this makes me wonder if they are taking me too fast.

You seem to be right on schedule, you should be in the transformation to reg foods. if you are having trouble, try pureeing them for a while, but you have to get to them. Listen to your body but please get them in. I was eating reg foods 1 month out, its only a lil but im eating.

One of my own "staples" is a drink made by Cytosport now called "whey Isolate" ... you can see it here:

http://www.cytosport.com/products/specialty/cytomax-protein-ready-to-drink

I hated the Protein bullets (they make me gag). Sunkist makes Protein bullets, ones that I heard are reallly good, I heard this rumor at a support group that I went to - but haven't tried them myself - you might want to look those up online and see if you can find a local supplier or buy them online.

The 0 cal Vitamin waters you asked about - my dr. recommended those. If you can find an unflavored Protein powder to add (unjury's got one but after a while, it made me gag too... inbox me and I'll snail mail you a packet if you want it).

Do you have a nutritionist? Meet with her/him and discuss your diet more in depth.

My dr. swears to eat 3 times a day, 3 to 4 ozs at a time. Mirolax every few days if you aren't having BMs. But I would bet you need to get in Water. I hate Water, God help me, but I love cherry pomegrante crystal light. Get the take along packets and keep some with you in your purse. Are you working out yet?

I wonder if your heartburn could be due to portion size. Maybe you should try to decrease the size of a portion at one sitting and spread out the amount of Protein over the day. Just a thought.

One of my own "staples" is a drink made by Cytosport now called "whey Isolate" ... you can see it here:

http://www.cytosport...-ready-to-drink

I'm a fan of Cytosport's whey isolate and I think it will be a staple when I get out of surgery. It counts as part of your liquid and it has 32g of Protein. I didn't like the taste of the Isopure but I do like the flavor's I have tried of this = tropical, tangerine and watermelon. I think I will do better on these after surgery than on the shakes only because the thickness of the shakes reminds me of when I had to drink ensure when I was doing chemo... not a good memory.