Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Does The Elliptical Kick My Butt?

That's an awesome price! I assumed they'd be much more expensive as well!

I was going to buy one for home but I am super picky...lol. None of the ones in my price range felt quite right to be. There are differences in stride length, how smooth they work etc - you have to find one that feels good for your body. The ones at the ymca - I usually use for 30 minutes but the other day I worked out for 70 minutes because i was interesting in the TV show! I was definately lower intensity the last half, but it was still a great endurance type workout! I love elliptical training!

Yep your right. I just talked to my wife and she said it was the golds gym 410 that I bought. We tried the 310 at the store so we bought the 410 for a little bit more. I went to walmart.com and took these pics. But now I just need a squat rack to complete my mini gym. I have a bowflex xtreme 2, a TKO roman chair for back extensions, and the most wonderful ingenious little cheap $20 machine the Ab machine from Walmart. Theres not much more that I need now lol

post-19267-1381365891488_thumb.jpg

post-19267-13813658915099_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this thread! I gave the elliptical a shot a few months back... HATED it!! I am short, so I don't know if that makes a difference, but I felt like I was over-extending my legs, WAY too much, I felt like I was doing lunges on a machine. I'm going to ask one of the trainers at my gym (I just joined, I get a free hour!) to check if my form is right and if I'm doing it properly. I'm currently making my way thru the C25K program, after that my goal is to then add in the elliptical. I think both is too much for me!

From reading this it seems like the long stride is normal, but geeze I could barely move!! Plus I think I ended up going backwards ?!????!?

Emily, what week are you on with the C25K? I start week 3 tomorrow. 3 consecutive minutes-yikes!! LOL!

Okay' date=' so I've always heard that the elliptical is supposed to be better than a treadmill for being lower impact. So why is it that I can run (okay... jog...) just fine on the treadmill but literally feel like I'm going to die after two minutes on the elliptical? I tore up my knee when I was younger so I figured it would be better, but after not even a lap I feel like I ran a marathon! I know that probably means I'm getting a better workout, but I'd rather not be the still-fat girl huffing and puffing after only two minutes on the dang thing! Lol. Some people on here swear by the elliptical and can go for 30-45 minutes without stopping, or even 15-20 minutes for some people around my weight. Am I just doing it wrong? Should I suck it up and just power through it even though if feels like I'm going to have a heart attack? Should I just stick to my trusty treadmill and bike?[/quote']

It takes time to work up to 30-45 min. My first time on it I got sick after 4 min

6 months after surgery and i'm just now getting really serious about exercise :unsure: . I've started using my elliptical at home 45-55 minutes, 5 days a week. I guess i'm lucky, it's so much easier to me than jogging on the treadmill. I dont set the resistance too high (between 4-10), i do the interval training setting on it. Make sure you're pushing and pulling with your arms as well(but dont grip too tight). Don't lean forward, keep your back straight and head up. Every few minutes let your arms swing freely.

I think every person just has strenghts in different areas. I can't do 4 minutes of jogging on the treadmill without my legs starting to burn and having to slow down to a walk.

I read an article about elliptical vs treadmill. They said the best one is the one you actually do.

I agree that the best one is the one you actually do! :) I just did 60 minutes on the elliptical. My plan for today was 30 elliptical, 30 bike, but I had such a great workout going on the elliptical that I just stayed there! I love it when I hit the endorphin high! :) I posted my beauty shot, taken after that 60 minutes, on FB! LOL

The elliptical is very challenging. I too will take the advice from everyone and turn on some music, less resistance and take it slow. Since I knew I couldn't stay on the machine long, I was going as fast as I could with higher resistance. The thing is it doesn't take long to sweat or get out of breath. Thanks everyone. We can do it. :D :D :D :D :D

We have a refurbished Lifefitness model that came from a gym I think. It has a book holder on it but I put my iPad up there and watch movies while I work out. A good movie really makes the time go by.

Emily, what week are you on with the C25K? I start week 3 tomorrow. 3 consecutive minutes-yikes!! LOL!

I am at the end of week 2 :) I haven't been able to get to the gym because the weather has been horrible here! So I guess we are at the same point! I am not looking forward to the 3 minutes!! SCARY! Have you tried it yet? How did it go?

We have a refurbished Lifefitness model that came from a gym I think. It has a book holder on it but I put my iPad up there and watch movies while I work out. A good movie really makes the time go by.

My gym (JustFitness in jacksonville) actually has a "cardio cinema"!!! It is a dark room with a giant screen. They project movies onto it. Instead of chairs, its all cardio equipment! I haven't had a chance to use it myself yet, but I can't wait!

I have the same elliptical and I do that too with my iPad I couldn't get a flimsy one because of my weight. I got it off of eBay refurbished from California.

I am at the end of week 2 :) I haven't been able to get to the gym because the weather has been horrible here! So I guess we are at the same point! I am not looking forward to the 3 minutes!! SCARY! Have you tried it yet? How did it go?

It was NOT bad at all. I was supposed to do week three for the 3rd time today, but will have to do it in the morning. I thought it would kill me, but seriously not bad. I made the mistake of looking ahead (5 consecutive minutes!!!). We can do it!!

It was NOT bad at all. I was supposed to do week three for the 3rd time today, but will have to do it in the morning. I thought it would kill me, but seriously not bad. I made the mistake of looking ahead (5 consecutive minutes!!!). We can do it!!

Great job!! I am hoping to finish week 2 tomorrow and start week three wednesday. Are you doing any other cardio on top of your C25K? I haven't yet but I wanted to start with the hour a day thing (or at least, an hour on the days I exercise) so I was thinking of doing some elliptical and some bike if I can.