Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi All' date='

I'm still counting down the days til surgery! Lol I'm now on my pre op diet - day two and things are fine so far - thankfully not struggling like I have heard many say the first days are hardest.

I am having Optislim shakes for B'fast & lunch and a small piece of meat and a cup of low carb vegies as per my surgeons instructions and I'm not struggling with managing hunger but the shakes are YUCK! I know everyone's tastes are different but I find them far to sweet and I add more Water to combat that but then I just have more unpleasantness to drink lol I can stand it for two weeks but my dietician is talking about drinking the shakes after surgery for at least a month. I'm willing to do anything to lose the weight but if there is another option I'm taking it lol

I am on a low income so I already have to drink these shakes I have bought but can anyone tell me if Optifast is any better or very similar? Are the bars / Soups powdery like they seem on the packaging? Any tips on making life easier would be greatly appreciated! Xo

Donna[/quote']

To b honest with u the only flavour I managed to keep down was the coffee Optifast and the bars. I really struggled on the opti faze and would dry reach uncontrollably. The only way I could drink them was to skull them down - which I couldn't do after surgery. I use beneprotein which is a tasteless Protein powder post op

Hello' date=' I live on the Gold Coast, it seems as though you all know each other! But I would like to meet you all as well. I am 4 weeks post op today. My surgeon was Dr Nolan at Pindara. I have lost 7.2 kg since surgery.

Jen[/quote']

Hi Jen!

It will b great to meet all these wonderful people. I am in Toowoomba but trying to make it down that way for the catch up too.

Hi All' date='

I'm still counting down the days til surgery! Lol I'm now on my pre op diet - day two and things are fine so far - thankfully not struggling like I have heard many say the first days are hardest.

I am having Optislim shakes for B'fast & lunch and a small piece of meat and a cup of low carb vegies as per my surgeons instructions and I'm not struggling with managing hunger but the shakes are YUCK! I know everyone's tastes are different but I find them far to sweet and I add more Water to combat that but then I just have more unpleasantness to drink lol I can stand it for two weeks but my dietician is talking about drinking the shakes after surgery for at least a month. I'm willing to do anything to lose the weight but if there is another option I'm taking it lol

I am on a low income so I already have to drink these shakes I have bought but can anyone tell me if Optifast is any better or very similar? Are the bars / Soups powdery like they seem on the packaging? Any tips on making life easier would be greatly appreciated! Xo

Donna[/quote']

Donna, I didn't have to drink Optifast post surgery and there are various other ways to get your Protein and nutrition. Maybe tell your dietician you are struggling with it and ask for an alternative for post surgery liquid stage.

Hey guys I'm now one week post op and had felt like I'd been doing ok until last night. My Fluid intake was good but yesterday and last I had a little more fluid and felt really nauseous.... I thought is this going to be my first vomit- it terrified me! But I sat up in bed for hours til it passed. Today I didn't have anywhere near enough fluid and I've the same thing :(

Feeling teary and not sure what to do I'm exhausted, can't get comfortable in bed. Being a total whinger I know sorry.

Hey guys I'm now one week post op and had felt like I'd been doing ok until last night. My Fluid intake was good but yesterday and last I had a little more Fluid and felt really nauseous.... I thought is this going to be my first vomit- it terrified me! But I sat up in bed for hours til it passed. Today I didn't have anywhere near enough fluid and I've the same thing :(

Feeling teary and not sure what to do I'm exhausted' date=' can't get comfortable in bed. Being a total whinger I know sorry.[/quote']

Your new little tummy is till swollen, so you can't tolerate too much at this stage. My suggestion would be to persevere and just sip, sip, sip. Try not to rush or drink too much in one go and you will hopefully avoid that yucky feeling. I had three episodes of throwing up after eating in the early days, but you soon learn how to avoid getting to that point. Don't be too hard on yourself as it's still early days and it will get easier as each day passes.

Hi I am new to this group I live in Melbourne and I have just got my date today for surgery on the 20th of September! Excited and nervous at the same time! Will be starting my pre op diet Saturday my doctor/ dietitian are happy for me to do the celebrity slim shakes as I have had success with them before and I cannot stomach the optislim ones! Really happy I found this app will make it easier having people who are going through same stuff here!

Hi I am new to this group I live in Melbourne and I have just got my date today for surgery on the 20th of September! Excited and nervous at the same time! Will be starting my pre op diet Saturday my doctor/ dietitian are happy for me to do the celebrity slim shakes as I have had success with them before and I cannot stomach the optislim ones! Really happy I found this app will make it easier having people who are going through same stuff here!

Welcome and congrats on confirming your surgery date. Please feel free to ask any questions here and if we can share from our first hand experience hopefully it will help you along the way. There are a mixture of newbies and veterans on this thread so a wide range of experience. We are mainly Australian and some of us have also had the opportunity to meet in person which has been great. You will make new friends on here even if you never actually meet. Good luck!

Welcome! Yay for September 20th :)

Thanks for the advice on surviving Pre op lol I think I will go out today and get some Optifast Desserts and bars and maybe some Soup that I can add things to.

I see my dietician next week so I will ask what else I could have post op - I don't think I can do shakes for a month after. We shall see I guess!

Thanks again! Xo

I'm starting my countdown today :-), my super money is in my account and 5 wks till surgery day. I'm nervous and excited!

I'm starting my countdown today :-)' date=' my super money is in my account and 5 wks till surgery day. I'm nervous and excited![/quote']

Hi Skudibz I am coming back to Aus for my surgery and I am interested in using my super for the out of pocket component. Can you tell me what the process is and how long it took to come through ?

Hi Skudibz I am coming back to Aus for my surgery and I am interested in using my super for the out of pocket component. Can you tell me what the process is and how long it took to come through ?

Hi ausmith,

Have a look at the Dept of Human Services site under early release of super (medical grounds). It has the information. All up ut took about 5 weeks. Four for the approval and 1 wk for my super fund to put the money in my account.

It would have been quicker if I didn't have to resubmit a document 3 times.

I hope this helps.

Are there any Australian Sleevers out there' date=' Would Love to hear from you.[/quote']

Iv got my operation coming up soon but I'm really scared and worried should I be ?

Hi ausmith' date='

Have a look at the Dept of Human Services site under early release of super (medical grounds). It has the information. All up ut took about 5 weeks. Four for the approval and 1 wk for my super fund to put the money in my account.

It would have been quicker if I didn't have to resubmit a document 3 times.

I hope this helps.[/quote']

Any mistakes I should avoid to prevent having to resubmit ?

Iv got my operation coming up soon but I'm really scared and worried should I be ?

Hi Jewls, I think that with any surgeries there are risks and you'd be silly not to be concerned. As someone who had a leak, a long hospital admission and several complications I can now say that 12 months on I still think this is the best thing I could have done for my health. But if I had to do it all over again, I would make sure that I had PHI in case of emergency surgeries, that I had my finances sorted out so that should I have a longer than expected hospital stay I would be covered and that I had conversations with people about what to do if things went wrong (i.e. where to find my will, financial documents etc). However I am in the minority and most people on here had a "dream" run :) So be prepared however don't be alarmist. As I said, even with the leak etc this is still the best thing ever :) All the best, Liss