Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi everyone' date=' I have done nothing but read through this site for the last 2 days and finally caught up with what each of you have been through and what you have achieved. All of you are inspirational.

So where to begin ? My husband and I have been livinging in Singapore for a few years because of his work commitments. We are both extreamly overweight with shocking BMI's. because of his position here we both have top medical coverage. After lots of soul searching and research, we decided that we would both get sleeved ! Yeah felt so good to make the decision together to get healthy for the last time. First step ensure we were covered by insurance. Not a chance ! Considered to be cosmetic surgery here. Desperate to have the opp now after all the time we took to decide, so we said okay let's pay for it, this will increase both of our lives. Not a chance! The first thing every single surgeon wanted to know before they had even met us was what Nationality ? The minute they new we were expats the dollar signs clicked over and the cost was going to be 30k each. I can not tell you how devastated we have been.

Left it alone for a few days and have now come up with another plan ( will not let this beat me now we are committed)

I called our medical insurance company in Aus and asked them if they covered the opp tick. Also asked if I release the suspension we have on our membership how long would it be before we could have the opp, " as soon as we can org it " yeah. This will mean organizing everything from here and returning to Aus 1week before opp and returning to Singapore 2 weeks after but I'm okay with that. Long way still to go but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It will mean we have to continue to pay 6 mth worth of medical insurance once we leave before we can suspend it again but that's a small price to pay when you consider the 60k it will cost us here. I'll keep you updated, sorry about the life story I just needed to vent.[/quote']

How great that you are doing it together! You will be able to support each other and will know exactly what the other Is going through. Be prepared to spend lots on new clothes!

Yes, at least your insurance here will pay for your hospital - my out of pocket was about $6000.00 but I know people have been able to draw back from their super for this. Your GP needs to certify that you have co-morbidities related to your weight. I had a fatty liver and elevated sugars so probably could have done this but didn't know that at the time.

All the best for your journey!

10 months after surgery' date=' getting there. I am now planning surgery, body lift and legs.[/quote']

You look amazing Scotty - you must be pretty happy with yourself - do people actually recognise you!

Just read my last few posts and I mention buying clothes twice - I think I have really turned on the shopping gene with this weight loss!!! Really just loving the fact that I can go into a shop and choose to wear what I want - within reason - mutton/lamb does spring to mind!

Sue..lol...strange how that happens eh.

AusSmith, welcome aboard, a few here have been with Dr Taylor and have only heard good things about him. I went with Dr Joseph as his rooms are close to my home for follow ups and he is also a great surgeon. But I did have the surgery at Mater and can not say enough good things about my experience there.

Scotty, you really do look good. And really dont look to have too much to fix. I for one do understand the need to finish the journey.

My thoughts about plastics after surgery are as follows:

1. Great to finish the journey and really see the changes you have made.

2. Make sure you have a doctor you are comfortable with. You need to have faith that if something does go wrong they will be able to handle it.

3. Recovery is hard. No ifs no butts, it is hard. Most of us here, breezed through the sleeve( yes there are exceptions) so we somewhat think it will all be ok. I personally also had a gall bladder and broken ankle surgery together also a cake walk in comparison.

Depending on the surgery there are increased risks, you are out for a longer time.

I am now 6 days post op and have not had a shower yet, drains are still in and not likely to have them removed for another 4 days, so no shower til then.

Yes the results can already be seen as well, tho I am still not sure how it will all look in the end.

Despite. Losing 5 kgs in skin my weight has not changed...yesterday I weighed almost 3 kgs more than before surgery, sooo much swelling, everywhere and that is painful

Just my 2c, we will see how time changes my opinion.

Thanks Susan that's fantastic information. I'm just waiting to hear back from him and to find out if he can work with our situation.

How long after your first appointment with him was your surgery ?

Two weeks - but I got a cancellation. I think the usual wait was more like 8 weeks (this was the end of April).

Yeah Sue, I still get recognised lol. It's hard though they all think it was a magic diet. Saying stuff like they're really proud of the effort etc etc makes me feel like a bit of a fraud..... When asked I just say I eat heaps less and exercise more. After I have my skin chop I think I'll let everyone know. I don't feel ready to tell all until then. Aussie I have heard its pretty damn tough after skin chop, not really looking forward to it but like u said its a final piece to the puzzle. Thinking bout doing Thailand thingo for op .... Any suggestions. I'm out of cash after VSG.

Yeah Sue' date=' I still get recognised lol. It's hard though they all think it was a magic diet. Saying stuff like they're really proud of the effort etc etc makes me feel like a bit of a fraud..... When asked I just say I eat heaps less and exercise more. After I have my skin chop I think I'll let everyone know. I don't feel ready to tell all until then. Aussie I have heard its pretty damn tough after skin chop, not really looking forward to it but like u said its a final piece to the puzzle. Thinking bout doing Thailand thingo for op .... Any suggestions. I'm out of cash after VSG.[/quote']

Hi Scotty, u look fantastic! My friend went to Thailand for her plastics and the surgeon who did her op is one of the top surgeons. Even my GP knows him! Just google the hospital ' yanhee international hospital bangkok ' and u'll find the company she used. I hope that helps

Hi Aussiegirl your progress has been amazing so inspiring to those of us that are counting down the days until we can get to the bench

Fingers crossed for us to get a cancelation Susan. We joke about who will get the first spot if we can't be done on the same day.

I am now going into week 7 post-sleeve and have *finally* started a 'normal' diet.I am averaging 600 -700 cals a day and am meeting my Protein and Water goals and taking all the vits/mins.Losing just over a kilo a week steadily :) I feel really tired and wobbly (blood test ok).What calorie intake is everyone else on? Am I too low? I know our diet is different now with volume but I am not sure how much or how little I should have.Any ideas?

I am now going into week 7 post-sleeve and have *finally* started a 'normal' diet.I am averaging 600 -700 cals a day and am meeting my Protein and Water goals and taking all the vits/mins.Losing just over a kilo a week steadily :) I feel really tired and wobbly (blood test ok).What calorie intake is everyone else on? Am I too low? I know our diet is different now with volume but I am not sure how much or how little I should have.Any ideas?

It sounds like you are doing all the right things, although I would suggest a few more calories such as 800 - 900 per day so you don't feel so weak, BUT I am not dietician and that's who should advise you on this important issue.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things' date=' although I would suggest a few more calories such as 800 - 900 per day so you don't feel so weak, BUT I am not dietician and that's who should advise you on this important issue.[/quote']

Thank you Kelli.I plan to ring Jason at Canberra Bariatric today but I honestly find the advice on this forum the most practical.So the best of both worlds :)

I think my cals are too low but I don't want to stop losing weight especially since I was warned I would be slow.I actually stalled for three weeks after the first week of surgery while on fluids! Lol!

If you feel weak it could be dehydration. You should probably feel ok on 700 calories if it is mostly Protein and good carbs. Make sure you are drinking enough Water and supplement with hydralite if you aren't sure.

Thank you Kelli.I plan to ring Jason at Canberra Bariatric today but I honestly find the advice on this forum the most practical.So the best of both worlds :)

I think my cals are too low but I don't want to stop losing weight especially since I was warned I would be slow.I actually stalled for three weeks after the first week of surgery while on fluids! Lol!

I agree a combination of professional advice and first hand experience from this forum is ideal. I have stalled regularly since the third week, but it always breaks, especially recording what I eat and being being mindful of each thing. My dietician has me in 800 calories, with two days per week on 500, as I am getting close to reaching goal, but your advice may be different as you are at a different stage. Good luck.

I average about 800 a day (give or take). It seems to work for me and I don't feel dizzy at all.