Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi I should get on here more often.

lila Im so glad u have left hospital enjoy the coast.

Im 7 weeks post tomorrow.What food can u peopl eat.Im finding the only thing that agrees with me are cruskits with Peanut Butter and those callipo ice blocks.Tried grill fish straight up it came any meat comes back up and I feel uncomfortable.Eggs are a no no.

Any ideas???

thanks Julie

Hi I should get on here more often.

lila Im so glad u have left hospital enjoy the coast.

Im 7 weeks post tomorrow.What food can u peopl eat.Im finding the only thing that agrees with me are cruskits with Peanut Butter and those callipo ice blocks.Tried grill fish straight up it came any meat comes back up and I feel uncomfortable.Eggs are a no no.

Any ideas???

thanks Julie

Hi Jules, it's because I have the same issues with those food types too. My favourite used to be lamb chops and now I can't even eat one small one. There are lots of other options such ad:

Cereal or porridge

Slice of grainy toast with small tin of baked Beans

Tamar no sugar fruit yoghurt

Rice paper roll with chicken or prawns & salad/avocado with sweet chilli sauce

Wrap with salad & meat

Rice cakes with wide range of toppings always including some Protein and salad

Fresh fruit/salad

Mince - any type seems to go down more easily made into a stew with vege, or Pasta sauce or a mexican dish such as a taco or tostada with salad and avocado

chicken cooked in numerous ways

Prawn salad

Ham steak & vege or salad

Fruit toast

Hopefully this will give you a few ideas to play with. I still eat too much quite often and feel uncomfortable although I am only talking one or two extra bites tipping me over the edge.

I find that if I eat any carbs with a meal, I can only fit 1/2 as much as I would normally get. Even tortilla wraps make me bloated. Carrots are also something I can't eat much of. And I'm the same with "whole" pieces of meat. It's much easier to eat mince. I'm 10 weeks out. To be honest, I'm not getting anywhere near my Protein goals. This was my days food today. 1 scrambled egg, 1 small skim latte, 1/2 cup of Bolognese sauce with turkey mince, and about 600ml of Water. Some days, I seriously forget to eat. Luckily today is not typical.

Thanks Sue and One-Elle, will check out the band to sleeve thread over the weekend. One-Elle, you have certainly given me a lot to think about...I appreciate it. I don't think the Bypass is for me but will certainly look into the different options for band to sleeve. I think it would be great if you stayed onboard this thread despite the type of surgery you choose. I think we all have the same common goal. I so appreciate this outlet, first thing I did when I got home from work was to check out this thread. Have been reading with concern about Lila and am so pleased for her that she is finally out of hospital and on the road to recovery.

Hi Kate, I hope I haven't given you the wrong impression, it isn't my intention to get you to change your decision about what surgery to have, I was saying that having been a 'guinea pig' for the band, I would be cautious about being the 'first' to have a relatively new surgical procedure. I did do some more reading after seeing your post and there are a few Surgeons in Melbourne who do the 'revision' in one operation, so I guess, at the end of the day, you need to be confident in your Surgeon and his team.

I'll look forward to hearing about what you decide to do.

Best Wishes

One_elle26

Thanks One-Elle, I am just going to do lots of research and check on forums so when I do see my surgeon in about 8 weeks I will be better informed and at least have some questions for him. I do really want to go ahead with the sleeve, it's just a matter of which way to go about it. I have about 30 -35 kgs to lose and I am really excited to think something further can be done despite my problems with the band. About 4 years ago (pre band) I lost about 40 kgs in about 7 months on the Cohen program. I felt so good about myself and confident but it was a very low calorie diet and once the weight was lost I found it impossible to maintain. I was heavier than now when I started and I got down to about 70 kgs so I remember how good I felt then and just want to get back there and more importantly stay there.

Hi all,

Stopping back by...I will be back in the land of Aus in 2 weeks so will probably be around a bit more. It has been a long trip trust me.

You are all doin so amazingly well and should be proud of yourselves.

The first few months are incredibly hard to get food. As many of you have noted, minced food is he best. I remember my dietician said not to have steak/ red meat etc til 6 months as the stomach wasn't able to handle it....however chicken was ok from like 2 months if I remember correctly, I seemed to under eat for a long time.

The key for me with meat, even fish was to make sure it was consumed with some kind of sauce or gravy.

Welcome to all the newbies dropping in. It is a great community here for information and support if and when you want it. I appear to be the veteran of the group...being now almost 13 months post op. life and food are pretty normal, new normal. Sometimes I consumer, what feels like a a lot to me now, sometimes a couple of bites and I am ill. There are still some foods I can no stomach, more they make me feel ick, chocolate and cakes...occasionally I try them and they are ok, if I have only 2 or 3 bites, like half a small cupcake..chocolate I barely even look at now and it was my go to thing. Yes you do go back eating bad things...your can even drink, well I do.

Those of you thinking of the sleeve I obviously endorse it, it was the right choice for my life. But it does come with its ups and downs. I encourage everyone looking at it to assess the surgery and the life after seriously. It does change your life and you have to be ready for that. I am happy to field any questions.

As for my trip, I am continuing to have an awesome trip, doing as many things I was restricted from doing because of my weight...it seems I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie lol...the 2 hardest things have been the food, so hard to get good nutritious food, they love their french fries. And also the being on the road on my own, which is good and bad, I sometimes just need to talk..some poor strangers have heard my life story. Luckily with the food I am staying in a serviced apartment in Orlando for the next few days so plan on cooking/preparing my own food, last night, i made a leanBBQ burger patty and a beautiful salad...tonight is chicken, with this BBQ Sauce I learnt to make...hopefully it is tasty.

I am also learning how to use my body, which sounds like an odd statement. Let me try and explain. I have been single, pretty much my whole life, brief flings and one it's oh so complicated to my name basically. So I have been going out, on my own which is odd, and meeting guys, I am not specifically to hook up with anyone, but it is about knowing that I am attractive to the opposite sex. Each night i have gone out, so far I have had at least 2 or 3 offers to take me home. It is good for the ego, even tho the majority I would not go home with lol. I guess what I am saying is that i am learning to feel sexy and open in my body. For years I was wearing an additional 73kgs of f'you to the world, which was my protection/hiding and so ppl weren't threatened by me, I don't have that anymore.

Just on a funny note, I weighed my self on the scales in this hotel this morning, first time in 3 weeks, and according to them I weighed 55kgs, that is a 22kg loss in 3 weeks...and no I have not been lost in the desert....I am fairly safely assuming hat he are wrong, I never even plan on being 55kgs..but it amused me.

I am so happy for you Aussie girl! This really has mad e a huge change to your life! I have no doubt that you won't be single for very long! It feels like you have been away for months - what a great trip! I love the states - my inlaws live in Victoria, BC so we get to that part of the world at least on e every four years. That is when I do all my shopping in the States - next time I will actually be able to buy some decent things for myself.

Well life here for me has settled into a routine. I have been pretty lucky with what I can eat although lamb chops and steak are hard work and I wouldn't have them all the time. I find scrambled eggs easier than poached, mince is good and there it this Korean beef stir fry pack I got from costco that is really good - the beef has been marinated so is very melt in you mouth tender when you eat it. I don't go near spicy foods as that makes my stomach even more acidy! I am just experimenting with different foods so I guess I just naturally gravitate back to the ones that are easy to eat. I hardly eat any carbs as the just take up the room i need for Protein. I am so silly though - I still put rice/potato on my plate but just don eat it! The plate looks so bare without it there! I am having trouble fitting in veges so have to concentrate on that - and my watering is a major hurdle for me - just have to the bottle with me constantly!

Hey Aussie girl - just make sure you come back here and find your self a nice Aussie boy!!

Hi Aussiegirl, great to hear from you again. I always look forward to your updates from your travels as being so far aead of the rest of us what you share is really valuable and helps me understand the new 'normal'. You are doing very well and enjoy every bit of happiness you find. When I have been to the US in the past I found their portion sizes huge and the food not particularly healthy and I really missed real cheese instead of the manufactured yellow gunk they have there. Have fun and and I look forward to your next post.

I am so happy for you Aussie girl! This really has mad e a huge change to your life! I have no doubt that you won't be single for very long! It feels like you have been away for months - what a great trip! I love the states - my inlaws live in Victoria' date=' BC so we get to that part of the world at least on e every four years. That is when I do all my shopping in the States - next time I will actually be able to buy some decent things for myself.

Well life here for me has settled into a routine. I have been pretty lucky with what I can eat although lamb chops and steak are hard work and I wouldn't have them all the time. I find scrambled eggs easier than poached, mince is good and there it this Korean beef stir fry pack I got from costco that is really good - the beef has been marinated so is very melt in you mouth tender when you eat it. I don't go near spicy foods as that makes my stomach even more acidy! I am just experimenting with different foods so I guess I just naturally gravitate back to the ones that are easy to eat. I hardly eat any carbs as the just take up the room i need for Protein. I am so silly though - I still put rice/potato on my plate but just don eat it! The plate looks so bare without it there! I am having trouble fitting in veges so have to concentrate on that - and my watering is a major hurdle for me - just have to the bottle with me constantly!

Hey Aussie girl - just make sure you come back here and find your self a nice Aussie boy!![/quote']

Hi Sue, it's good to know about what you can tolerate, as I am the same and it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Aussiegirls comment about her dietician telling her to avoid steak and lamb hard meats for 6 months. I wish mine hard advised that, then I wouldn't have tried to introduce the, about week 6, needless to say without success. Don't you find eating few grainy carbs, not enough veges or Water gives you Constipation? I am getting enough Protein and carbs, but not enough fruit. I find plain Water can be a bit harsh on my sleeve if I drink a glass in one go, bit if I add diet cordial sometimes it's better. Not sure why, but I am like you and have to carry a water bottle everywhere to keep reminding myself to drink, especially prior to eating.

Hi all,

Well another week begins !! So envy you Aussie Girl travelling at the moment and good on you for being by yourself experiencing it, don't know if I could in a different country :)

So glad that you can feel sexy in your body after losing 70+ kgs, you deserve all the happiness and attention you can get and it's a real shame but I'm finding even being married, my hubby whom never commented on me being a fatty :) but is so goggley eyed and can't stop with the attention, touching and compliments. It makes me wonder what he'll be like when I am at my goal OMG :). Feels great though and wouldn't change it for the world as I feel like after all these years he has eyes only for me, if that makes sense....

In regards to food, I do not have a problem with any foods and can eat all meat types etc. during the week I'm always great but weekends come around and because we eat out a lot I get a little concerned with the scales. Jumped on yesterday morning and have actually gone down 1.5kg in a few days so that was great when thinking it should have gone up. I no longer drink soft drinks or have maccas, KFC but do like the sushi, mini pita from Nandos so that is my only bad habits prob once weekly. Also off the chocolate

Kelliv - been meaning to ask you about your best friend and how is she towards you now and any compliments from her with your success to date !!

Aussie Girl - continue to have safe travels and I too look forward to your updates

Lila, hope you enjoyed your first weekend out if hospital and getting ready to head home for this new chapter in your life :)

Have a great week all and count down is on for Scotty :)

Yes Kelli - I have a huge problem with Constipation - I always did have before the sleeve and now it is much much worse - hence my total concentration on getting in the 1.5 or more litres of Water, cups of tea and I try to only have one coffee per day. I do actually have all bran most mornings but generally not many other carbs after that - i have had vita wheet crakers a couple of times but i tend to stick to my Protein to make sure i get that in. I also take 4 x coloxyl per day, 2 x phloe (kiwi fruit extract) per day and when I still don't go, I add in 3 teaspoons of normacol. Still only going every 4 days! I think I am going to struggle with this for ever because I have always had it. Pre sleeve, benefibre worked but now it just isn't working - the doctor told me it just isn't strong enough. The joys - but hey I feel so much better in other areas - no sore feet, sleeping like a log, no sore knees and hopefully when I go for my blood tests, no high cholesterol, no elevated sugars and a healthy liver!

I find it quite amusing that the foods that are high Protein (the foods we are meant to eat) are the hardest to eat - is is obviously even harder with a band and that is why people end up eating the 'slider' foods.

It doesn't bother me that I can't eat foods that I use wolf down - BBQ chicken mmmmmm - because they just don't give me the same pleasure as before and therefore I don't get my hit/kick out of them that I used to - jeeeeese, food really was my drug of choice! I am realising that more and more each day!

Anyway, I seemed to have replaced that habit with cooking for other people. I have NEVER been a cook but I have baked my first banana cake and I am going to do ginger crunch and hockey pokey biscuits today. Can't eat any of it but it gives me some kind of satisfaction - am I going completely nuts!

Hi Shelley, that's another good loss and it sounds like you are doing so well. My best friend/business partner still never comments. I see you most days and we ate travelling together at the moment, away for a week each time. She doesn't make negative comments but she also doesn't make any complimentary ones. Disappointing, but I believe it's her problem not mine and I am not worrying about it any more. My proof is in my progress and that will speak for itself. We are going to the Qld Tourism Awards in a couple of weeks and the dress I was hoping to wear is now too big for me after I was worried it wouldn't fit. I know she will struggle to find a dress to fit into. I

Hi Shelley, that's another good loss and it sounds like you are doing so well. My best friend/business partner still never comments. I see you most days and we ate travelling together at the moment, away for a week each time. She doesn't make negative comments but she also doesn't make any complimentary ones. Disappointing, but I believe it's her problem not mine and I am not worrying about it any more. My proof is in my progress and that will speak for itself. We are going to the Qld Tourism Awards in a couple of weeks and the dress I was hoping to wear is now too big for me after I was worried it wouldn't fit. I know she will struggle to find a dress to fit into. I

Gooood morning everyone!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

I did Run Ballarat yesterday and walked 6km in a time of 55 minutes. Last year I did Run Geelong (30kg heavier) and that took me 1hr 30 min. I'll be doing it again this year, so my aim is to beat my Run Ballarat time.

Fingers crossed tomorrow I'll hit the double figures! I did last night and this morning when I jumped on the scales, but official weigh in day is Tuesday morning...which will also mark 4 months since my op.

Hi Sue, you really are 'stuck' aren't you? My dietician advised that the most important foods to ensure Constipation is alleviated are grainy carbs, such as brown rice, grainy breads/wraps, crackers, quinoa etc. i have ceo,iac disease, so cannot eat gluten which makes this more of a challenge, but I persevere as constipation is the pits. I thought fruit and vege would have been the key but it's the whole grains instead. Wy not try adding in 2 slices of grainy bread a day with a Protein & salad topping?