Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Welcome Kate! We look forward to hearing more about your journey. Everyone here is very supportive and will always offer advice to help guide you! I went to see a surgeon on the gold coast about Lapband. He told me he no longer performed the procedure due to the rate of complications. So I started looking more into the sleeve. I also had a friend who had the Lapband done and has lost 10kg in 18 months. What's worse is she feels like a failure because it hasn't worked for her. Terrible that she has spent all this money and gone through the surgery and she feels worse about herself and her body more than she did before the surgery. I ended up getting my sleeve done with a wonderful surgeon in Brisbane.

I am so freak'n happy! Just bought myself a Guess T- shirt! Have NEVER been able to fit anything in that store before! I have to keep repeating "mutton dressed up as lamb" , "mutton dressed up as lamb" so I don't get too carried away with this shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am so freak'n happy! Just bought myself a Guess T- shirt! Have NEVER been able to fit anything in that store before! I have to keep repeating "mutton dressed up as lamb" ' date=' "mutton dressed up as lamb" so I don't get too carried away with this shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Well done Sue, how exciting. I bought a size 14 top today!!! First time in years. It felt SOOO good.

You guys are doing so well! I LOVE Guess!!! My sister just bought me 2 pairs of Guess jeans, a Guess top, pair of Guess heels and a Guess watch all from Vegas. I told her to buy size I asked her to buy size 6-8 us size (12-14aus) she ended up buying 30 and 34.....as in inches!! ....Like men's pants. Which is like a size 6 and 8 Australian size :-/ doubt they will ever fit and they are soo pretty too. Top is a size 12 Australian so I have a wait to wear the top- will never fit into the jeans! but at least I can look at them!!! Lol.

You guys are doing so well! I LOVE Guess!!! My sister just bought me 2 pairs of Guess jeans' date=' a Guess top, pair of Guess heels and a Guess watch all from Vegas. I told her to buy size I asked her to buy size 6-8 us size (12-14aus) she ended up buying 30 and 34.....as in inches!! ....Like men's pants. Which is like a size 6 and 8 Australian size :-/ doubt they will ever fit and they are soo pretty too. Top is a size 12 Australian so I have a wait to wear the top- will never fit into the jeans! but at least I can look at them!!! Lol.[/quote']

You might be surprised at what you will actually be able to fit into so keep trying them on when you get close to the size. I know that I couldn't even get my head around wearing size 16 when I first started losing weight let alone size 12 in some jeans! I love that shopping in the States. Last time I was there all I could buy in Guess was handbags and wallets - even the shoes wouldn't fit, but my feet have even gone down a size now!

Yeah I know what you mean....I can't fathom how on earth I'm going to fit into a size 16, 14, or even 12!! My sister bought my heels in a size 9 for later....and a pair of thongs in a size 10 so I can wear them around now Lol. it must be such a thrill to fit into smaller clothes. I have lost 16kilos (or there abouts.....depends on what my body has decided today!) and that would be a huge achievement without the sleeve....yet I feel like its no where near enough. I still see the same reflection and bulges everything just feels looser. Crazy hey!

Yeah I know what you mean....I can't fathom how on earth I'm going to fit into a size 16' date=' 14, or even 12!! My sister bought my heels in a size 9 for later....and a pair of thongs in a size 10 so I can wear them around now Lol. it must be such a thrill to fit into smaller clothes. I have lost 16kilos (or there abouts.....depends on what my body has decided today!) and that would be a huge achievement without the sleeve....yet I feel like its no where near enough. I still see the same reflection and bulges everything just feels looser. Crazy hey![/quote']

I know what you mean about seeing the same reflection in the mirror. I'm obsessed with looking at my before and progress pics because its the only way I can see a difference. I still see the same old fatty in the mirror even though that fatty is wearing size 10-12. I still feel uncomfortable in nice shops thinking there will be nothing in there that will fit or suit me. The mind takes longer to adjust to this than the body I guess.

Hi all,

You guys are all doing so great! I don't know if ill ever hit a size 14 :/ hoping to at least get to a 16 so I can wear my raiders jersey again in time for next season!

I've had an absolutely awful week at work. I've pretty much been crying the whole time. I've also been catching myself heading towards old habits like staring into the fridge when I'm not even hungry. I've succumbed to my old nemesis the caramel slice. TWICE! I've been feeling so guilty and negative and I just don't know how to break these bad habits. Is anyone else struggling with emotional/stress eating?

I'm so happy with my weight loss and terrified of going backwards but u can't seem to snap out of it.

Hi all' date='

You guys are all doing so great! I don't know if ill ever hit a size 14 :/ hoping to at least get to a 16 so I can wear my raiders jersey again in time for next season!

I've had an absolutely awful week at work. I've pretty much been crying the whole time. I've also been catching myself heading towards old habits like staring into the fridge when I'm not even hungry. I've succumbed to my old nemesis the caramel slice. TWICE! I've been feeling so guilty and negative and I just don't know how to break these bad habits. Is anyone else struggling with emotional/stress eating?

I'm so happy with my weight loss and terrified of going backwards but u can't seem to snap out of it.[/quote']

Awww susie, Im sorry to hear you hae had such a bad week. But i feel you are not the only one going through the emotional eating...I'm not sure about anyone else but I have indulged a few times. I saw the dietician yesterday. She kind of made me pull my head in a little- especially showing me the portion size I should be eating, I was trying to eat too much. Not getting enough variety of foods was making me crave chocolate like a mad woman. But I also just wanted to do it too. My eldest daughter has a form of autism and torments her little sister constantly. They share a room and drive me up the fricken wall some days with their constant fighting. Work is drying out and I'm not meeting expenses, I'm having trouble studying as I am so wiped some days all I do is fall asleep at the computer. Plus I get so sick of being single and in my own company all the time, so yes, I too am an emotional eater, and I have days where old habits come back with a vengeance. I just keep telling myself tomorrow is a new day and I must start again. Plus I have bought some jarra hot choc to have a night when I have another craving. The urge to buy chocolate is still there but I drink this instead. Pm me if you ever need to talk xxx

I think every single person struggles with old eating habits - I have done it - dark chocolate, KFC and potato chips etc! There are always going to be times that we eat junk -the great thing is we can't eat a lot of junk now! Please don't be hard on your selves.

Just be proud of what you have achieved so far and proud that you made this huge and brave move to have the operation to get this under control.

I am trying to be kinder to myself and understand that we can't do everything right all of the time - we all did one big thing right and that was to have the determination and courage to have this operation!

My big thing is that I can not seem to get motivated to exercise - I know all the theory and all the reasons to do it but do you think I can put one foot in front of another...no way - but I am not letting myself feel bad about it. I am letting myself enjoy the ride I have had so far and taking one day at a time - I know this sounds a bit '7 step' but seriously I really view food as my 'drug of choice' and I am in recovery and I have had a few relapses!

Body image is a funny thing - my husband keeps asking me why I am being so hyper critical about my body. He has noticed that I am now picking out all my little flaws when I should be focusing on my good points! I am only just starting to see in the mirror that I have lost weight but I am nearly 30kg down now so it has taken a while. I too can't believe I can walk into some shops and the clothes will fit me - I mean there are literally shops that I have not been into for 20 years because I knew nothing would fit me and it would depress me.

I love this thread - it is great to be able to share with such a great bunch of people that are going through the same thing - thanks everyone for your online company!

Awww susie' date=' Im sorry to hear you hae had such a bad week. But i feel you are not the only one going through the emotional eating...I'm not sure about anyone else but I have indulged a few times. I saw the dietician yesterday. She kind of made me pull my head in a little- especially showing me the portion size I should be eating, I was trying to eat too much. Not getting enough variety of foods was making me crave chocolate like a mad woman. But I also just wanted to do it too. My eldest daughter has a form of autism and torments her little sister constantly. They share a room and drive me up the fricken wall some days with their constant fighting. Work is drying out and I'm not meeting expenses, I'm having trouble studying as I am so wiped some days all I do is fall asleep at the computer. Plus I get so sick of being single and in my own company all the time, so yes, I too am an emotional eater, and I have days where old habits come back with a vengeance. I just keep telling myself tomorrow is a new day and I must start again. Plus I have bought some jarra hot choc to have a night when I have another craving. The urge to buy chocolate is still there but I drink this instead. Pm me if you ever need to talk xxx[/quote']

Thanks so much kayargh, it's so nice to know there is support on here! My god it sounds like you have a lot on your plate! So to speak ;)

It gets me really down sometimes because as terrified as I am about a tear and leak, chocolate became more important than that. I guess I just really realized that the sleeve doesn't cure what's in my head and that that's the biggest battle I have to fight.

Not sure how to do it but it makes me feel a bit better to know I'm not the only one going through this stuff.

I totally get the single thing too! I've never had a boyfriend in my life because I've been so self conscious about my body. It doesn't get easy as the kilos come off either. Saggy skin is oh so sexy :/

Anywho... Just need to keep battling my brain and try not to let my evil boss get the better of me!

Great points Sue. So good to hear what other are thinking and feeling, make you really value the connections we have on here. Of I tried to explain some of these things to other people, I would get responses like 'well that was a waste of money' or 'I don't know why you went and did this if it doesn't work' they just don't get the ups and downs that come with it. I have spoken with family about a few things and the response has been 'well you chose to do this so now you have to live with the consequences'....yeah, thanks but not helpful :-/ on here I can say how I really feel and I get nothing but support. It has helped no end!!

Oh Susie, I hear you there. I too am terrified of a leak.....but doesn't stop me from eating outside the plan at times. As I have heard on here before...you had a sleeve gastrectomy not a lobotomy!!! I feel like a great white shark in the supermarket...stalking the chocolate section an ice cream isle like its my next feed. Telling myself NO! Walking away and then turn around and slowly walk past again...looking at all my old favs and arguing with myself over whether I really want it or not....walking away again and stalking past once more. Picking things up and then returning them after another lap around the isles. I hate grocery shopping now!! Lol.

Being single is hard hey. I try to not let it get to me. I know I'm lucky that I have my girls but I have been bringing them up on my own for almost 8 years. In that time I have had one relationship that lasted less than a year. I kind of don't want to get thin because then I will get attention and it will only highlight the fact that no one is willing to see through the fat to find out what I am really like. My last boyfriend told me that I shouldn't ask anything of him, I should just be greatful that he is even interested!!! And another guy- whom I wasn't seeing but discussing why I have been single for so long...he said I will never be enough to make up for having two children!! Seriously, what is it about weight that makes people think they can speak to people like that?????!!!!

Thanks for your warm welcome. Kayargh and Susie please don't give up hope of sharing your life with someone special. After 10 years of an awful marriage I find myself a single mum to two pre school age children with no support from their dad, just abuse from him. Thankfully I have an amazing supportive family. I was never a confident person with the opposite sex and was single for the next 14 years not dating even once, just caring for my kids. Oh I also took the step of going to uni for the first time in my late 30's to get a teaching degree during this time. Then I think my confidence about myself increased and amazingly met my beautiful partner 5 years ago. I'm now 52 and have great kids, a fabulous family and a caring partner but don't feel good about myself so that is why I want to do something about my weight now. I told two friends about the band but want to take this next step without others knowing. My family will know but haven't told them as yet, I know they will be concerned for me but will support me. So I am glad to be able to be part of this thread to be able to talk with understanding people.

Hi Kate, wonderful to hear that you have finally found happiness with a loving partner. I am happier being single but it does get so lonely and boring at times- plus frustrating! Lol. It weird how i can miss having someone in my life bit fear having to ever share it with someone now i have mapped out my next 10 years. I too have gone back to uni and am doing a bachelor of nursing and bachelor of midwifery.

I hope your family and friends are supportive of your decision as it really is important. Plus you have us!! Lol