Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Question....has anyone flown after surgery? Like around 18 days after? 2 hour flight each way.

I can't see why not. I flew to Melbourne at 15 days after. No issues, not that I even thought about it.

A lot of Americans fly to Mexico and then return home a few days later....

That's true! If my team ends up in the AFL Grand Final I want to go! Sounds selfish but I love them with a massive passion and the way the played collingwood on Friday makes me believe that we have a bloody good chance to be GF :-)

Hi all,

Just read your responses and I am sorry I have not been able to reply sooner. Am still really medicated so I hope it all makes sense. So massive complications. First off in the beginning they were trying to put me under but the cannula came out and went into the tissues. That did this three times during the op. post op I was in terrible pain for the next two days. Things were getting worse. My heart rate became tachycardic and my other cannula fell out tissuing the arm making it impossible ( after over 20 tries). Then on Wednesday it all got very bad. The pain was huge, my heart rate Raised to over 180 beats, my kidneys and liver were shutting down, I couldn't breathe. Was taken to ICU and went under the most awful procedures. They could use the anaesthetic so had to do it without. The icu dr put 2 central lines in my neck and I heard them talking about me not making it. Thought I had screwed the pooch at that point lol. Refused to allow my poor family in to see me at that stage- didnt want them to see me dying. Had a 6 hour surgery that night and came out on a respirator, two drains, a nasal feeding tube but with my life.

I have now been fasting for 7 days and it's awful...very shakey and weak but considering where I was I am a lot better.

The surgery care here has been amazing. I feel valued and cared for. So lucky to be here and alive.

Where to now? Tomorrow I have the leak test and if it's now corrected . If so I will be in for about another week. If not corrected they aren't sure exactly but it will several more weeks in hospital with more procedures likely including more drains.

Word of warning to self funders... The icu nights were $3500 a night, the added surgery about $8000 and every day I am here is at least $1000. Plus if I am dischaeged ina week they want to stay on the gold coast so that is all in addition to loss of wages etc that I will have to absorb. I am unlikely to return to work for 2 months. ,y health fund won't cover any of. The hospital have been amazing and will give me a payment plan to pay it off. My parents are talking shot selling their investment property to take the pressure off me a bit which is incredible

So feeling lucky. Hard to stay positive and scared of going backwards and what the outcome of the test will be tomorrow. Will try to let you all know as soon as I hear.

All the best, Lila.

Goodness me Lila, you certainly do things in a bug way! Glad to hear you are coming out the other side. Did you actually have a leak? Is that what caused the complications? Take care, cheers kelli

Goodness me Lila' date=' you certainly do things in a bug way! Glad to hear you are coming out the other side. Did you actually have a leak? Is that what caused the complications? Take care, cheers kelli[/quote']

YeAh but they couldn't fins where from the ct scan so they just had to get me well enough to do the leak test tomorrow at about 11 am . Worst case is they see a leak as it more fasting ( and it is so bad the fasting) and at least two to three more weeks of inpatient admission. Othwiise if no leak is detected then it's healed and they can start me on fluids with the plan to go home by the end of the week :)

Lila I am so sorry you had the complications as they are so rare! You are just unlucky I suppose. Did the sleeve leak or was it something else. It's a bugger you are self funding and ate now hugely out of pocket. Just think of all the weight you ate losing and focus on getting well again. If you are on the Gold Coast for a while maybe I could come and visit you? Take care and keep us posted. We've all been worried and thinking about you.

Oh Lila, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. You really never hear about the complications and I'm so very sad it happened to you and at a time of being self pay. I am glad your feeling abit better and trying to remain positive, I think that is all you can do to get your health back for you and your family.

We have been worried about you and your experience has brought tears to my eyes.

My thoughts are with you Lila and best of luck tomorrow with the leak test

So sorry to hear it hasn't gone well Lila :(

We're thinking of you and sending lots of health and positive vibes your way!

Good luck for the leak test tomorrow!

Xo

Oh Lila, i am so sorry you have had all those complications. So happy to hear from you. I will be thinking of you tomorrow with your leak test.

That sucks about the self pay and the extra bills you are going to have.

All the best, keep us up updated. xxoo

Dear Lila

I am so so sorry that you had these complications and very thankful that you have had such good care and are on the road to recovery. I am sending all my positive energy your way for your swallow test and hope that goes well for you. Just rest up and put all your energy into getting well. We will all be thinking of you!

Lila Im so sorry all this has happened to you, it makes me sad that you have had to go through such a terrible time. Sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery. keep us updated when you can...we are all thinking of you xx

Lila!!! I'm so glad you're alive! I was very worried once I heard you had complications and am do so sorry!!! If I could take them away I would! If you need ANYTHING please let me know, absolutely anything! Write up a list if you like and I'll come down and see you, even if you just want someone to chat with! I can bring you some magazines or a change of clothes or toiletries, anything to make your stay more comfortable!!!

I will continue to pray for your health and happiness!!! Please get better soon, I miss you!

Bethy :D

Hey Lila, wow u've been through a bit, rest up stay positive. 1 day you'll look back at this and be stronger for it. Keep up the posts.

Scotty