Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Weight Prior To Surgery

So i started this journey the end of January and had my consult in March. I have since seen the nutritionist twice but i cant seem to lose weight. I feel like i am self sabotaging myself becuase not only havent I lost any weight...ive gained about 4 lbs. I dont have a surgery date yet and i wont until sometime in August but they wont even schedule one until i lose 15 to 18 lbs. Im super disapointed in myself since last summer i weighed about 30lbs less and the bulk of my gaining weight has happened since November. Im scared that I wont get my self together and lose the weight so i can even qualify for the surgery. I am hoping I am not the only one who has felt this way but its hard and as a way to cope i turn to food. I dont eat junk, thats not my problem, but im HORRIBLE with Portion Control which is why i want this surgery in the first place. I just wanted to share this with someone as I dont really have anyone else that has a weight problem to divulge my fears and dissapointments with. :(

I need a kick in the a** to get the ball rolling but only I can do that. Getting this off my chest helps a little bit and I am glad to have found this forum.

I am in a similar situation....my doctor wants me to lose 10 pounds by my surgery date of June 11th....I too have been stuggling since Feburary trying to lose, but I've gained 15 pounds....now with the procedure being 6 weeks away, I'm incorporating more protien drinks into my diet....I drink I protien drink in the morning instead of coffee...and drink 3 more throughout the day, and eating something sensible for dinner.....this is my first day, so I am hopful...

Maybe its something you can do as well....

Have you tried a low carb diet? That is the only way weight will come off of me and I was able to drop 17lbs before my surgery. I did it in about 4-5 weeks.

I am in a similar situation....my doctor wants me to lose 10 pounds by my surgery date of June 11th....I too have been stuggling since Feburary trying to lose, but I've gained 15 pounds....now with the procedure being 6 weeks away, I'm incorporating more protien drinks into my diet....I drink I protien drink in the morning instead of coffee...and drink 3 more throughout the day, and eating something sensible for dinner.....this is my first day, so I am hopful...

Maybe its something you can do as well....

I was actually thinking about trying this and then maybe chewing gum to help with the fact im not physically eating...i think its the chewing that i like...i hope this works for you!!

My therapist said that chewing gum or eating peppermints help curb the need to munch....also brushing your teeth after each meal helps too...

Oh Jenn i feel your pain! No surg yet...next appt is May 25 with NUT for one on one visit. Ugh. Went to NUT seminar last wk and she put us all on a "balanced eating plan". I'm thinking...if i could follow THAT i wouldn't be in a WLS seminar!! So for the past few dys been trying to follow it/log it, and boy it's tough. Need to lose 15 lbs by next visit. We can do this!! I will be thinking of you and sending good wishes your way.

I know I start my eating behavioral classes tomorrow..im required to go to four sessions in a row so im hoping maybe these will help. The part im dreading is this coming Friday is my 2nd appt with the NP and i dont wanna see the disapointed face when she weighs me in. I dont see the NUT until 6/28 so i have a while to try to prove to her that i can lose weigh on my own (which i have i just dont know what my issue is right now!).

Thank you LDallas for your wishes and the same to you! :)

Hmmm PEvette thats a good thing to know..i think ill stock up on gum! haha whatever works until i get my brain and body working towards the same goal

I have started to use a smaller plate to help with my portions. I also have started to eat Protein first. You could try to set your fork/spoon down while you are chewing and take time between your bites. That way you will know when you feel full. It is how we will have to eat after surgery, so I'm trying to get in the habit now. What i struggle with is grazing inbetween my meals. I've also been counting my calories using myfitnesspal.com.

Haves you tried logging your meals? I have an app on my phone and trakc everything. It really opened my eyes to not just my calories but how much fat and carbs were in my diet. I also think its important to look at the serving sizes. I found I was eating two to three (sometimes four!) servings of Pasta or potatoes. It didn't matter if I was under my calorie allowance, I still overate on empty food.

You can do this! Substituting Protein drinks for two or three meals a day for a bit might give you the kick start you need. Good luck.

I'm in the same boat with you. Let's make a plan to do this together. All the suggestions are great. I'm thinking I might start a 2 Protein Drinks /low carb diet on Monday. Lol why do I always say Monday?

It is always good to lose some weight prior to surgery but I sometimes think that surgeons are a bit unrealistic when they require you to lose up to 20 pounds before WLS. Most of us are food addicts in the first place which is why we are seeking the surgery to begin with and I think that should be taken into consideration. We would never expect an alcoholic to go without a drink for 3 or 4 weeks before being allowed to go to rehab so why would a surgeon require so much weight to be lost? I understand that the liver needs to be shrunk just prior to surgery but that could easily be accomplished with the loss of 5 to 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks prior to surgery. Requiring so much to be lost causes those of us with food issues to go into panic mode and begin bingeing and results in weight gains not losses. In my opinion if you don't think this is something you will be able to handle in a healthy way I would advise searching out another surgeon who's requirements are a bit more reasonable and that will allow you to lose a minimal amount of weight without causing you so much stress that you end up gaining. Oh, and for the record I was only required to lose a few pounds the last week before surgery which I did and my surgeoun said my liver looked perfect because of it. I did a diet of liquids for Breakfast and lunch with string cheese and cottage cheese for Snacks and for dinner I had a low carb meal of a meat, veggie, and salad.< /p>

I'm in the same boat with you. Let's make a plan to do this together. All the suggestions are great. I'm thinking I might start a 2 Protein drinks /low carb diet on Monday. Lol why do I always say Monday?

I am the same way! and then it turns into Friday and Sunday. I dont know where my motivation has gone lately...sigh. I am proud that i started working out again this week ..at least its a start!

It is always good to lose some weight prior to surgery but I sometimes think that surgeons are a bit unrealistic when they require you to lose up to 20 pounds before WLS. Most of us are food addicts in the first place which is why we are seeking the surgery to begin with and I think that should be taken into consideration. We would never expect an alcoholic to go without a drink for 3 or 4 weeks before being allowed to go to rehab so why would a surgeon require so much weight to be lost? I understand that the liver needs to be shrunk just prior to surgery but that could easily be accomplished with the loss of 5 to 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks prior to surgery. Requiring so much to be lost causes those of us with food issues to go into panic mode and begin bingeing and results in weight gains not losses. In my opinion if you don't think this is something you will be able to handle in a healthy way I would advise searching out another surgeon who's requirements are a bit more reasonable and that will allow you to lose a minimal amount of weight without causing you so much stress that you end up gaining. Oh, and for the record I was only required to lose a few pounds the last week before surgery which I did and my surgeoun said my liver looked perfect because of it. I did a diet of liquids for breakfast and lunch with string cheese and cottage cheese for Snacks and for dinner I had a low carb meal of a meat, veggie, and salad.

i understand where you are coming from and i am required to do 2 weeks of a liquid diet prior to the surgery so i would figure the bulk of the weight would come off then!! I see the surgeon next month so i will see where i am at that point and discuss that with him (i wont be sleeved until August sometime).