Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Social Meals With Work/family

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if you could give me some advice about eating out after surgery. By the time I go back to work, I will be cleared for regular foods and in my job, we eat out daily for lunch. I know I will have to find a way to deal with this and of course I won't be able to eat a regular meal like I used to. In my family, everything has always revolved around the next meal. How have you all handled social dinners with friends and family that might not know that you had surgery? Thanks!

I haven't gotten to this stage yet but a very close friend has and she has a cup of Soup and maybe a small salad. Or she may order a child size meal. If that does not work then she orders a meal and takes some most of it home with her

It is hard at first but you will find what works for you and so what if you take some home now you do not have to cook dinner.< /p>

I am five-weeks post surgery and had my first work-related event that I couldn't ignore yesterday. It was a bbq and fortunately they offered veggie burgers and I just asked for it without a bun. I grabbed some baby carrots but could only eat one of those. I had a few people say, "Is that all you are eating?" but then the majority of people kept telling me how great I looked and it encouraged me to stay on track. I typically do A LOT of socializing and these gatherings are always around a dinner/lunch/breakfast table. I bowed out of the family Easter dinner this year, but am looking forward to lunch with my Dad next Wednesday and a birthday dinner next Sunday. What I learned during my pre-surgery weight loss was to go online to the restaurant location and do a "nutrition" check. I typically found a grilled chicken breast or scrambled egg or veggie burger or seared ahi that would give me something to order while I socialied. I learned to order a side of veggies instead of a starch (rice, Pasta, potatoe). There were also some occassions when I drank my Protein Drink before the lunch/dinner so I wasn't starving. I am finding every day that this is a learning experience and I welcome any ideas that others may have to help when socializing around a table.

I've found that most places will let me order what I want rather than being forced to order "meals" as described on their menu. I went to Bob Evans tonight with a friend. They have a sirloin steak with portabella mushrooms which I can't stand these days. So, I ordered the steak with a side salad instead of mashed taters. I ate the Tomato, cucumber and cheese from the salad, about 2/3 of my plain steak and one blueberry from my date's plate. It was yummy... then I had one of those little chocolates they sell at the register for dessert! :)

When I logged tonight's dinner in MFP, I logged as if I'd eaten the whole meal. I'm STILL under my calorie goal for today. :)

My friend who had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago told me that she stopped ordering off the "kids" menu because it just wasn't seasoned in the way adults like to eat. Also, the calorie counts can often be high since many of the foods offered are chicken fingers and pizza. She advised me to order off the "appetizer" menu AND to order only those items that would be good to take home in a doggie bag. As a non-WLS person at the time, I found it annoying to have her say, "Oh, I'll just have a bite of your food." since I wasn't in the mood to share and since I have rather particular eating habits. I promised myself that I would not do this to my friends and family. I am retraining my focus at these gatherings from the "food" to the "conversation".

I agree I like ordering off the appetizer menu. When ordering Mexican I will order a shrimp dish, fajitas. Soups are great to order and you can eat half a bowl and no one will notice. What I tend to do is order something I can fidget with, then I play with my food so as to seem I'm giving attention to my food.

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if you could give me some advice about eating out after surgery. By the time I go back to work, I will be cleared for regular foods and in my job, we eat out daily for lunch. I know I will have to find a way to deal with this and of course I won't be able to eat a regular meal like I used to. In my family, everything has always revolved around the next meal. How have you all handled social dinners with friends and family that might not know that you had surgery? Thanks!

Do you have to eat out for lunch at work? Is packing your lunch an option. I've saved money not eating out at lunch every day since going back to work.

I tell people I am on a special diet and nothing fits it I will eat later, and have something small. If they ask I say a high Protein. Must people understand..

My best guy friend/housemate of four years and I love food and cooking the goal is always try something new and find what we can get at out taste better and is more fun and saves money o cook at home. Best part is our new challenge is to make all that stuff but in a new way so I can enjoy it as well and what I don't eat he will finish if we do go out, we love sharing off each others plates in my family which is what ill do from now on with him my kid and family.

When I go out, I usually get either of these:

1. Cream of Tomato or vegetables Soup

2. Grilled chicken or chicken tikka with very little oil(it is a famous Indian dish - you can google for recipes)

3. Paneer tikka (Paneer is Indian cottage cheese - you can make it at home. There are some delicious recipes on youtube)

4. Stir fry tofu

5. cheese omelets

Sad thing is, I can only have around 2 to 3 oz. But now, I'm enjoying the talking rather than wolfing down whatever is on the table LOL

Sashimi at sushi places is the best!!

Unfortunately, that is the case 95% of the time. We are all over the city, so lunch is very unpredictable and never at the same time every day. Also, I do not always have access to a refrigerator since our locations are always changing. No matter what, I think I will still be saving some money after having the surgery, which is always good!

Do you have to eat out for lunch at work? Is packing your lunch an option. I've saved money not eating out at lunch every day since going back to work.

I tell people I am on a special diet and nothing fits it I will eat later, and have something small. If they ask I say a high Protein. Must people understand..

I agree I like ordering off the appetizer menu. When ordering Mexican I will order a shrimp dish, fajitas. Soups are great to order and you can eat half a bowl and no one will notice. What I tend to do is order something I can fidget with, then I play with my food so as to seem I'm giving attention to my food.< /p>

Yes, I will definitely use the "special diet" and ordering Soups is a great idea! Thanks!

My friend who had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago told me that she stopped ordering off the "kids" menu because it just wasn't seasoned in the way adults like to eat. Also, the calorie counts can often be high since many of the foods offered are chicken fingers and pizza. She advised me to order off the "appetizer" menu AND to order only those items that would be good to take home in a doggie bag. As a non-WLS person at the time, I found it annoying to have her say, "Oh, I'll just have a bite of your food." since I wasn't in the mood to share and since I have rather particular eating habits. I promised myself that I would not do this to my friends and family. I am retraining my focus at these gatherings from the "food" to the "conversation".

Thanks... great advice...

Thanks everyone, trying to think all of this through. Something that was so simple is now going to be a big change in my life!