Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've always been kind of embarrassed to share my story, because every time I read or hear one, it's always the success story of VSG. I had the surgery done almost 11 months ago, and I have lost a total of........ 40 pounds, mostly in the first 2-3 months. Since then I have lost almost 4-6 pounds in total. I know I am doing everything wrong, I eat sugar and carbs all the time. I generally feel like I eat way more than I should. I have done the surgery but I had no real guidance or direction to what I should or shouldn't do after the first month. All the doctor said to me was, don't eat a lot of carbs or processed sugars. I want to make this work for me, but I don't know how to start again. Am I hungry because I want to eat, or because my mind still tells me I do? Is there a certain kind of diet I need to get on to start losing weight like everyone is? I am really disappointed - mainly in myself - for not being able to do it, but I really dont know where to start now. Help?

I think it is great you are reaching out. I figure it is never too late to get back on track!!!

A thought would be to start with doing the 5 day pouch test - google it for details.

This is supposed to help you feel like you have some restriction again.

I might also suggest that you start using a tool like myfitnesspal.com and journal EVERYTHING - no exceptions. Target for at least 60 g of Protein and less then 50-60G of carbs. That is not super restrictive but is low enough it will keep the sweets out. There are different ideas of how many calories you should have but it seems like most people are getting around 800 or so during the active weight loss phase. I work out alot, so do sometimes eat more, but 1000 is a pretty big day for me.

I suggest that you not belabor the past, since you can't change it, but each day think about what you will do this day, this week and look forward to much success!

I would suggest asking to be referred to a nutritionist or dietician. See that person for a few or several visits and I would try and specifically find one that specializes in bariatrics. My surgeon is part of a bariatric center that has a nutritionist on staff. I would try and get to see that person and they will be able to help you the best and like has been said, "correct and move on, don't worry about the past" and log your food every day. I know that helps me. My bariatric center also has a personal trainer that I have seen a couple times and have another visit paid for after surgery. Health insurance did not cover the trainer but it did the nutritionist except for a copay.

You should also drink more Water. It helps everything -like better skin, eating less, and helps stay you regular. It is a really simple thing you can start doing today.

Well the good news is its never too late to get started. I also recommend joining my fitness pal, it makes me accountable to myself. Also there is a 5 day cleanse on this site specifically for the VGs I think it was posted by littlemissdiva. After that the eatting pattern you should follow is Protein first, then veggies, and if you have room then you can have carb, more than likely you won't have much room for much carbs. Choose smarter Snacks, string cheese, greek yogurt, fresh fruit. Also I really recommend getting really involved in a support group, wether online or physical one is up to you. Best of luck, and please don't give up.

prettypebble,

you've already received some good advise... and I agree with all the above.

It is never too late, remember there is no expiry date on your sleeve, it is with you for life and a tool that we have to learn to use for its beneefits.

I am 2

ooops... didn't finish...

I meant to say ...

I am 21mths out now and not at my surgeon's goal, or my personal goal (although I have made my first 'size goal') and I am not giving up... not yet! I haven't lost a pound since the end of Oct but I have gone down a dress size... remember out bodies work in mysterious ways... so try not to focus on just numbers, but the whole YOU.

Get back on track and work your sleeve... log your food and aim for Protein first, then green veggies; drink plenty of Water and exercise as and when you can.

Please let us know how you get on... and stay in touch. This is a great site for motivation, incouragement and information...

Good luck!

Dont stress tour self out, their are alot of good suggestion. Use myfitnesspal.com. And juat go back to rhe begining. My diatition told me that if i had a platue just do the liquid diet again.

I know its hard to not eat the sweats i love them as well but have them as a treat. Spareingly. You can do this. Dont give up.

I feel the way you do mostly because i read all these post and every one that is where i am has lost more and i feel that i am bor doung enough. I have to remind myself we are all diffrent.

I think it is also important to stay connected with a support group like you are doing now. Have you ever considered going to OA groups. Every community holds meetings weekly. I know a lot of people deal with the addictions to food and it's a very hard thing to break. It sounds like you would benefit from a program like this.

Prettypebble: I will be sleeved in June. One if the veteran sleevers, Lil Miss Diva, posted a Basics Bootcamp to get started losing again. Here is the link: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/28139-the-basics-boot-camp/

I agree. Try Diva's boot camp. I do it every two or three weeks even when I don't stall. It's a great way to get back to the basics. The sleeve is just a tool; YOU still have to do the hard work, and part of that is not eating the junk or eating it only in small, limited quantities. You won't maintain or lose if you keep eating carbs and sugars. Focus on the lean Proteins and log your food to make yourself accountable.

I really want to thank all of you deeply. These were the first encouraging words I've heard in a really long time. I started that night, I threw out all the junk food I had laying around, I started the day pouch test thing, It's so inspiring finding so many people who don't know you that are willing to take the time to encourage and support you. Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted! :)

We are members of an elite group ( or at least i will be in 6 more weeks). We are all we have when it comes to understamding the surgery and the journey. You can do it!! You have the tool!

You can do this, don't beat yourself up. Pick yourself up and carry on.

How much can you eat? Run through a day's worth of food.< /p>