Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here, but have been reading through this very informative forum. I plan on getting sleeved soon (I've been researching WLS for over 3 years now). I will be a self-pay patient as my insurance doesn't cover ANY bariatric surgery. But I have checked with them twice, and if any complications arise from the surgery, they do cover that.

I've thought about Mexico because they are experienced, and of course, lower costs. I currently live in Houston, and we have some VERY good surgeons here for WLS. I am very comfortable with them, and as a nurse - I'm comfortable with the healthcare here in this city.

But I am very curious - many of the posts I have read for people getting sleeved in Mexico said that getting sleeved here in the states would cost $30,000-$40,000. Really? Why? Is that because you have a band and are getting a revision to the sleeve?

The surgeon I plan on using has been doing bands forever (he's done over 6,000). He refused to do sleeves as a stand alone procedure until the Medical Board perceived it as a stand alone procedure (other doctors basically had to commit insurance fraud to get it covered before this happened). So he's only been doing the actual sleeve for the past 2 or 3 years. But he's been doing them as part of the Gastric Bypass surgery for many years (phase 1 of the surgery). He's done 60+ sleeves (as a stand alone procedure), has zero fatalities, and only 1 leak - which happened after the patient when home and on day 2 ate a plate of beef strogaoff. He is part of the Center of Excellence, he spent over an hour with me discussing his philosophies, how he does his procedures, etc. I was very comfortable with him, and he's well known in the WLS world here.

His cost for self pay patients is $12,000. That's inclusive of the surgery, anesthesia, all medications, hospital stay, nutritional consult/follow ups for the first year.

So what am I missing? Why are these other surgeries 3-4x his price. And that's the price of most of the WLS surgeons around here ($12-15k for everything). Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks,

Laura

Hmmm, well that is a good price for the US!

My insurance wouldn't cover me to get the sleeve & it would have cost me $24,850 out of pocket her in NJ.

So yes, I opted to go to Mexico. They are soooo very experienced there, plus it is a bit cheaper than what you would be paying (I am paying $5500 for Dr Kelly).

So weigh your options, reseach a couple of MX surgeons & then make up your mind. If you feel in your heart that you are more at peace staying in the US then go for that. Like I said, that is a good price!

Here in North Texas (I live in Fort Worth), its about $13,000. In Northern states is much higher, its probably why the surgeon you speak off has more experience than most USA surgeons, I know a lot of people come to Texas to get their surgeries. I am going to Mexico, my surgeon is dr. Ponce de leon in Tijuana, and like the surgeon you mentioned he is very experienced. He has been doing surgeries for over 20 years and the sleeve for about 7. He actually teaches other surgeons how to do it and he has performed many surgeries in medical staff, surgeons has well as thousands of patients. I am in PA school currently, so I have spent a great deal of time researching doctors, facilities and other things. I found that Most USA doctors have very little experience in the sleeve, and do charge more because living here in the USA cost more. My surgeon charges $5500 for the surgery plus airfare (less than $6000 total), which is half what I would pay here. He has very low complication rates and if I need more medical care when I am mexico I am covered. Yes you do run the risk that if you come here and have a complication you have to go to the ER and pay yourself, but actually I know someone who had surgery not long ago here and had a complication and had to pay everything out of pocket! My PCP will be following my care when I return, ordering labs and such. IF you have any questions feel free to ask.

I wound not go anywhere that would leave me stuck if I had a complication. Although rare, they most certainly do happen. I did have a complication and it was looked after. It took 6 months before I was better! And what I went through would make your toes curl. So, that is just my two cents. Like I said too complications are rare. I just suggest being covered.

I live in the Dallas Tx area and I was a self pay. $9350. Dr Zakhour. Great surgeon. My dad also used him.

I wound not go anywhere that would leave me stuck if I had a complication. Although rare, they most certainly do happen. I did have a complication and it was looked after. It took 6 months before I was better! And what I went through would make your toes curl. So, that is just my two cents. Like I said too complications are rare. I just suggest being covered.

Unfortunately even most of our insurances here would not cover complications from the surgery. Since its an "elective" surgery to my insurance all the cost would still come out of pocket. My surgeon would not leave me stuck, its why I have spent a great deal of time and energy researching where to go. I definitely would not go just anywhere. But that is the same if I went to a surgeon here or in Mexico, I would do my own research and that is what I encourage people to do.

I'm new here' date=' but have been reading through this very informative forum. I plan on getting sleeved soon (I've been researching WLS for over 3 years now). I will be a self-pay patient as my insurance doesn't cover ANY bariatric surgery. But I have checked with them twice, and if any complications arise from the surgery, they do cover that.

I've thought about Mexico because they are experienced, and of course, lower costs. I currently live in Houston, and we have some VERY good surgeons here for WLS. I am very comfortable with them, and as a nurse - I'm comfortable with the healthcare here in this city.

But I am very curious - many of the posts I have read for people getting sleeved in Mexico said that getting sleeved here in the states would cost 30,000-40,000. Really? Why? Is that because you have a band and are getting a revision to the sleeve?

The surgeon I plan on using has been doing bands forever (he's done over 6,000). He refused to do sleeves as a stand alone procedure until the Medical Board perceived it as a stand alone procedure (other doctors basically had to commit insurance fraud to get it covered before this happened). So he's only been doing the actual sleeve for the past 2 or 3 years. But he's been doing them as part of the Gastric Bypass surgery for many years (phase 1 of the surgery). He's done 60+ sleeves (as a stand alone procedure), has zero fatalities, and only 1 leak - which happened after the patient when home and on day 2 ate a plate of beef strogaoff. He is part of the Center of Excellence, he spent over an hour with me discussing his philosophies, how he does his procedures, etc. I was very comfortable with him, and he's well known in the WLS world here.

His cost for self pay patients is 12,000. That's inclusive of the surgery, anesthesia, all medications, hospital stay, nutritional consult/follow ups for the first year.

So what am I missing? Why are these other surgeries 3-4x his price. And that's the price of most of the WLS surgeons around here (12-15k for everything). Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks,

Laura[/quote']

Hi Laura,

My name is Stephanie I also live in Houston. When are you having surgery? Also have you decided to go with the doctor you mentioned? I'm new to this and any information you can share would be great.

Thank you,

Stephanie

It's usually the hospital that adds so much to the cost.

That's a very good price for the US . If you are comfortable with this doctor, I would schedule surgery.

My band surgeon charges the same, but it doesn't include any hospital costs so he sends you home and you come in the next day for an IV. No thanks! That's why I went to the very experienced Dr. Aceves to have my band removed and do my revision surgery. I felt very comfortable in that wonderful hospital for 3 days and got better care there than I did here, when I had my gall bladder removed a few months later.

Much as I hate to disagree with Oregon Daisy - a virtual help to me when I was a newbie, a hospital stay is not "best" care as implied. There are updated practices & procedures that adhere to US surgery standards.

Self pay VSG surgery here in the states as outpatient. 18K. Went home same day and slept in my own bed that night, comfortably without all the downfalls of a hospital stay. No drain, no pain pump, no catheter, no morphine, no IV follow up needed & no extra risk of infections that all hospital pose when staying. I only took pain meds once...and that was to sleep. (My surgeon was a guest on Dr. Oz & featured VSG surgery in 2010)

Do what is best in your own comfort level. Consider traveling after surgery, not having a surgeon you can follow up with in person and possible complications. This is why I ponied up the extra $ for a US surgeon.

Hate to be contrary here - but YES, insurance will cover for complications if you have surgery here is US most of the time. My PPO would but most Health Maint Orgs will not. Check your own insurance out to see what they say.

Wishing you the best in your array of choices. I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

I too am going to Dr. Ponce in July. I live in San Diego and I have done my research and have been to the INT hospital, met Dr. Ponce, his team and Trish and feel very comfortable. Trish is great. She is a coordinator for Dr. Ponce and lives in MX. She knows the doctors, she knows the hospitals first hand. She is not just a coordinator answering phones, she knows the hospital staff, the doctors, restaurants, she speaks english and spanish. Dr. Ponce is well known and respected by his colleagues. He is the one the doctors go to for gastric surgery. He is also the doctor you want operating on you if you do have complications. I will keep you updated. If I can answer any questions for you, I'll do my best.

The quote from my surgeon's office for self-pay was $17,905., all inclusive.

DEAR THIN SOON,

I too am going to Dr. Ponce in July. I live in San Diego and I have done my research and have been to the INT hospital, met Dr. Ponce, his team and Trish and feel very comfortable. Trish is great. She is a coordinator for Dr. Ponce and lives in MX. She knows the doctors, she knows the hospitals first hand. She is not just a coordinator answering phones, she knows the hospital staff, the doctors, restaurants, she speaks english and spanish. Dr. Ponce is well known and respected by his colleagues. He is the one the doctors go to for gastric surgery. He is also the doctor you want operating on you if you do have complications. I will keep you updated. If I can answer any questions for you, I'll do my best.

Dr. Ponce is well known and respected by his colleagues.

I agree. Dr. Ponce has a name I've heard good things about since 2003, when I was banded. Do you have a band. Is your surgery just for the sleeve or are you getting a band revision to sleeve? What are his prices like? Can you pay with a visa card? Thanks in advance for the info and GOOD LUCK!!

SARA

SORRY FOR THE CLUMSY CUT AND PASTE JOB ABOVE. I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO QUOTE AN EARLIER POST BETTER! SARA

Just an update that I was sleeved by Dr Kelly & it went really well! Nothing but fantastic things to say about him & so glad I went to MX for my surgery. They treated me like family, hospital was clean, nurses friendly, everything was great & so much cheaper than the US!

If you want to follow my story, I have blogged my experience so far on this site: http://njsharonjourney.blogspot.com/

I was sleeved by Dr. Garcia on April 20th. I had no complications. I spent $5000 on surgery and $350 on airfare. I was very satisfied with everything. I couldn't afford the extra 7 grand or so for self-pay in the US and I also felt that Dr. Garcia was more experienced than any surgeons in my area. I was comfortable with my decision and very happy with my results so far. Good luck everyone!