Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Tell The Nosey Peopke At Work?

I'm pre-op and have had to go to quite a few appointments already. I have this girl at work who is nosey as heck. I've only told my boss do far. Don't wanna tell anyone else. Any suggestions??

Noydb .... None of your da?m business. Lol really it isn't.

But seriously I plan to tell people that I am comfortable with knowing. But for those Nosey ones I just plan to tell them to lower their food intake and up their Protein....but if they are really Nosey they are gonna snoop around to find out what they can.. Cause they have no life

Yeah I had a couple of people like that where I work, too. I told them that I was either getting wings surgically attached so I could fly like a butterfly or that I had been infected with an alien and it had to be removed before I did a Sigourney Weaver from Aliens 3. My answers pretty much depended upon my mood but were all together silly. And you know what? The nosy people left me alone. Granted they might have edged away from me, but I'll take what I can get!

I hate to say this, but this is just the beginning. I am about 4 mos out and I did not tell anyone. Well, just about everyday for 4mos co-workers, neighbors, etc have questioned me and commented. I had one boss, call me in, close the door and begin to interrogate me, starting with, Did you have gastric bypass? I of course said no (I had the sleeve). Then : You did have surgery, what kind? me: "I 'd rather not say..I don't want to discuss it. " Then, I told the truth, "high Protein, low carb, daily exercise, needed to change for my health", and finished with, "I thinking what you are really asking is why I am motivated or how can you be motivated..The answer is, you need to be ready". There are many nosey people who don't have a life..someone else I know, made it common knowledge he had the sleeve..they are still making comments, watching what he is eating, etc..so whether you say or not, same BS (People used to have manners and not ask personal stuff, but those days are gone. Good luck, and get put your "thick skin" on :)

I'm just gonna tell them I took control of my health and no longer have diabetes, high blood pressure and working on kicking the sleep apnea by eating more Protein, less carbs and exercising much more. Why was I out for so long? Well I needed some mental health days too - LOL!

I told all the nosey roseys that I had my gallbladder out! Lol! I don't believe on sharing personal info if I don't want to. According to HIPPA, what your boss did was illegal! You can sue!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I initially told people I was unwell and it prompted a lifestyle change, that was until I ended up working at same hospital I had my operation, staff recognised me by name and word spread, but it ended up quite well as they would get me to come in and speak to fresh post op sleevers, was quite rewarding, I am no longer there, its completely up to you what you tell people, its funny isn't it though that people think they entitled to know what is going on

I'm at the beginning of the process. I work 2 jobs, at my first job I really haven't said much to my boss only that I have alot of Dr. appointment to go to and I will let you know when they are. At my second one I have told my boss what I'm doing (only because it is my boss and myself at the job). My boss tells me that I'm not that big (weight wise) and I don't need to go through something like this. As the time went by and I tell him what is going on he can see that I'm very serious about going through this.

I have told my mother about this and I keep her up-dated on all my dr appointments too. She did ask me "Are you sure?" I told her yes. I'm not happy at looking at myself anymore.

I wish you luck in this journey.

I am scheduled for surgery on May 16th and originally I wasn't going to tell anyone, but I work in the billing depr at the hospital I am having the Surgery at! I figured someone is bound to know when they work on my claim. Plus a few of my friends at work have had WLS so I know people are going to assume anyways. I told the people directly on my team because they would have to cover my job while I was out. After I told them, I immediately regretted it. But now I am just like whatever. I told them I didn't want the whole office knowing, so they should respect that. I work with a bunch of women who all love to gossip. They probably all know by now!

I pretty much told everyone who works directly with me that my surgery is scheduled. I really feel like this is something I need to do. I am not apologetic or embarrased about needing help and why should I be? I am not going to do a Starr Jones. Yes it none of their business but if someone asks I will tell them. Of course I haven't had the surgery yet so maybe I will feel differently after. I am proud to have made the decision. Besides the people I work with for the most part have responded pretty positively. I am new to the forum so I just want to add that I am in no way glorifying my weight gain but I have to be able to forgive myself before I can make any progress. Real talk

I haven't had surgery yet. But I have a friend who did. And she just people "cept me of course" that she had gallbladder surgery and after being on the soft diet so long, her appetite changed and she couldn't eat as much nor can she tolerate greasy fatty foods...and nobody has ever thought to question her again except to tell her how good she looks!!

I pretty much told everyone who works directly with me that my surgery is scheduled. I really feel like this is something I need to do. I am not apologetic or embarrased about needing help and why should I be? I am not going to do a Starr Jones. Yes it none of their business but if someone asks I will tell them. Of course I haven't had the surgery yet so maybe I will feel differently after. I am proud to have made the decision. Besides the people I work with for the most part have responded pretty positively. I am new to the forum so I just want to add that I am in no way glorifying my weight gain but I have to be able to forgive myself before I can make any progress. Real talk

This exactly. I have no problem telling if they ask, but I won't just shout it out either. I understand some people's desire for privacy, but I'm okay with admitting I needed help.

I have all but posted it on FB! I've told most everyone I know! Not only do I want their prayers & support, but I want them to know it's an option for them!

It's no need for someone to invade your personal space like that and make you feel uncomfortable. Be really vaguee with them, just say your changing your life and taking control of your health. If they ask more than that then tell them by using whatever tools are available to you.. If they ask anymore than that you should just let them know that your doing what you have to do and don't wanna talk about all your business out there. Make sure you set that boundary real clear. And do your thing.. BLESS, SUCCESS, and Good Lukk - Lukki