Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, how can I start...I'm a nervous wreck...anxious...I kept having nightmares about the surgery last night...I'm scared of the pain I might feel...scared something might go wrong...my mind is racing...I have such a bad headache because I'm thinking so much...I wanna calm down and feel relaxed but I can't...I never had surgery so that's why I'm freaking out...please help...need some words of encouragement :0(

Hi,

I just had surgery on April the first and it was fine. You will not be aware of any of the heavy stuff- just peacefully sleeping. Then you will wake up and maybe have some pain and maybe not. I didn't use any pain medication the first day and only once on the second day. I haven't used any since beinghome either. God willing you will be just fine. Don't think too far ahead. Just focus on one step at a time. Good luck.

I never had surgery so that's why I'm freaking out...

hi Mita710

WOW never having surgery before - people usually feel nervous, anxious and stuff, and most of these people are familiar to surgery. But you being a newbie to surgery....well i think your feelings are even more valid.

Its true, surgery should go just fine, hopefully someone is going with you for support, if not, tell a nurse that your a "virgin" and they should even be nicer, helpful, than usual. ;)

Ask them to explain stuff to you about the anesth..., what will happen etc. that will put you more at ease too. But the anesth.... guy will come in before surgery, as well as the surgeon, very briefly.

Remember, your new life begins after surgery, a lot to look forward to.

Take a bunch of deep breathes, make sure to breathe out too :lol:

You will be fine

best wishes

kathy

Mita, I'm nervous too; however, this is not my first surgery. We'll be just fine! Claim only the positive! Positive thinking = positive results! My surgery is May 1st and I'm actually ready to get on with recovery. What I'm most worried about is the fact I've never been a planner, never planned meals, just ate when and what I wanted but all that is about to change. Just remember why we are taking these steps. You'll do fine! I look forward to hearing your progress.

I have had over a dozen surgeries, and the good part is that you will go to sleep without realizing it and then wake up surprised that it is done. I am probably older than you, but I don't think the post-surgery pain can be any worse than what I go through with my hip, lower back and knees.... all weight related pain.

I always think, "Be still, and know that I'm the Lord."

I have had a few surgeries and it's just taking a good nap and when you wake up, it's over. There was some pain and I had my morphine pump that helped keep me without pain. Believe me, I used the morphine pump when ever and it helped me. When they took the pump away, I didn't miss it at all. I had no pain. Except when I was getting up and back in bed. That was the only pain I had. Walking around wasn't bad either. It was just plain annoying having to bring the IV thing with us.

The fear of the surgery is the worst. i was so fear that I wanted to just run away and forget about the surgery. I told everyone that I wanted to run, but I didn't, and they didn't blink an eye. For me, at this point, I had worked so hard jumping through the hoops for this surgery and I guess part of me didn't think I was really going to get the surgery. It was questionable up to the final minute. I believed they were going to turn me away. That was my fear, and it was totally irrational. This was the best thing I could of done for myself and my family. I love my sleeve! ;)

Forgot to say CONGRATS and I'm waiting for you on the BIG LOSER'S BENCH! CHEERS! ;)

I am also having surgery tomorrow too. I am also very scared/nervous/anxious. We will get through this. By this time tomorrow we will be on the Loser's Bench! I will be thinking of you. Wishing you an easy, painless, and quick recovery!

Yes! It's so totally normal to have major gitters before surgery, even if you have had other procedures! It's a a scary thing. I was fortunate many people on this board reassured me of this because the day of, I wanted to run out of the room... gown and all! :-) But I kept reminding myself of others' experiences and knew it was a normal response. In my case, the hospital staff was awesome and took really good care of me. In general, they know we are nervous and scared and they tend to be comforting and supportive.

Sending good thoughts your way, both of you, for a great experience and a super speedy recovery!!!!!

It is normal to be scared a bit, you are going in for surgery but you will be fine. I did the same and when I came to thought to myself "really, I was so scared for nothing...woo hoo!" I used the pain pump when I needed and was home the next day with hardly any pain ( other than when I got up/down from bed and that was just minimal) You have worked hard to get to this point, you are doing this for your health so think positive and you will do just fine! Hugs to you both and the best of luck, keep us posted! :D

Thank you everyone for your words of encourgement. I stil feel nervous. My fiance asked me if I wanted to cancel and I said no. I know I am making the right decision for myself. Struggling with my weight my whole life. Its time for a change. My new life begins tomorrow. I need to be at the hospital at 10am and my surgery is at 11:30am. I know the Lord will be with me tomorrow as he always is. I will keep everyone posted here on my progress and my experience.

Thank you again everyone and pray for me :0)

Take long deep breaths, it helps because it's something you will have to do post op in the hospital. When you breath just remind your self that this was your decision and it's you are sure this is the right decision for you. Best of luck you will be in my prayers.

I'm feeling the same way I have to be at the hospital at 5 am I already know I'm gonna be up all night ugh I just wanna get it over with already !!! Im praying for everyone having surgery tomorrow I've put it all in Gods hands and I know we will all come out of surgery just fine the rest is up to us we can do it ;-) ill keep everyone updated as soon as I'm able to ! See y'all on the other side !!!!!!!

I'm feeling the same way I have to be at the hospital at 5 am I already know I'm gonna be up all night ugh I just wanna get it over with already !!! Im praying for everyone having surgery tomorrow I've put it all in Gods hands and I know we will all come out of surgery just fine the rest is up to us we can do it ;-) ill keep everyone updated as soon as I'm able to ! See y'all on the other side !!!!!!!

I know Im not going to be able to get any sleep tonight either. I just want it to be this time tomorrow lol

Yep, you gave got the right idea! God will be with you. Lifting you up in prayer! look forward to your post-op posts:)