Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reason For Time Off

If you did not tell your boss or coworkers about the surgery what was the reason you gave for needing time off and how long did you take off?

It's none of their business and they can't ask what its for. My boss simply asked "is it necessary?" I said yes. That was it.

If you ABSOLUTELY feel the need to tell them "something", say you're getting a hernia repaired. That isn't going to come back and bite you down the road like saying your gallbladder and then later needing it out and not being able to use it as an excuse anymore!

I second the hernia deal.

I told several people the following:

I don't want to get into the gory details, but I'm having an abdominal surgery, and I have to live on liquids for a while. The doc told me that I'll need the time off because I'll be so tired.

Everyone accepted that. I used it because I'm actually pretty good friends with all my co-workers, but I didn't want to tell people specifically what's going on.

I told everyone that I was having gall bladder removed, which also explained why I had to change my diet. Good luck!

I used the gallbladder excuse too. It does help explain the change in eating. If I have to have it out later I'll have to find a new excuse but with the rate of my weightloss I don't think I have to worry about it.

My boss new because we are a relatively small company. My in-house HR approves my FMLA so I had no choice. A few co-workers know but everyone else knows I had surgery...period. I took two weeks off. I could probably go back next week, but I'm not !!! :)

I have not told anyone at work except my.bff who told me everyone was concerned about me. I was going to use the gallbladder one but then thought what if it really does need to come out. I like the hernia one. I was going to day a cyst on the overy. but I am going with the hernia. thanks

I didn't tell anyone! As far as they know, I went to San Diego to visit my cousin! I take my Protein Drink in a sippy cup and no one really pays attention to what I eat for lunch:)

Your boss legally cannot ask you why you are taking time off, and if you tell them it's medical, they cannot ask for any details.

I told people I work with (to explain my unavailability) that I was on medical leave, and my out-of-office notification sttis I am on medical leave. No details needed.

If you feel like you need to tell them something (although legally you don't have to tell them squat) you can always just answer that you're having either surgery for 'female problems' or 'male problems' (depending on whichever applies). Most people back away from wanting to know more about things like that either from sympathy or somehow thinking it's contagious. Another option is that you're having ulcer repair work which would explain your change in eating habits.

I said that it was girl stuff. That I was having a cyst removed. Men don't want to know and women just say Oh ok, I hope all fies well.

Actually if your employer has a leave policy and makes everyone verify their leave of abscense them u do have to bring a doctors note. U have to be employed as a full time employee for a year before Fmla benefits apply to u. They dont hv to pay u but they cant fire u...if u pass six weeks of fmla in a yr..then they can fire u...so go thru the hr dept..and make sure u follow their policies.

I work for a mid size health organization and privacy is a concern. I'm 12 days out now post op and all is well.

My scenario was to take 10 days off from work using sick time because I have big accrual thankfully but I kept a lid on the info sharing at work to ..I will be out for a medical procedure. Upon returning to work the med clearance form only required MD signature not his specialty or any procedure code so there us a measure if privacy there as well.

I do let people know who genuinely ask ..how am I or what's that ur drinking that I am working with a Dietician to focus on Protein and food choices , exercise etc..bottom line its on a need to know basis.

FMLA covers for 12 weeks per calendar year, not 6, I believe.

A doctor's return to work note, if required, does not have to state the reason for the absence in any specific sense. It can reference "medical leave" or "surgery" in generic terms.

2bHotGirl: I once used the "female thing" since I work with 90% males. They all thought I was having a boob job. :blink: