Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This may be kinda gross and I do apologize for grossing anyone out. But I have developed this new eating habit and i'm not sure if it's healthy or not and I would appreciate some feedback. Ok so I have been craving citrusy type fruits intensely, but I am afraid my body won't take too kindly to digesting the hard pulpy stuff in the fruit. So I have been chewing up oranges and pineapples and then spitting then spitting them out. Its satisfying and I think I am still getting the Vitamins from the juice I just don't want to put my digestive system through any unnecessary grief. Is this bad?

You know I had done the same thing and looked it up online. It's actually listed as an eating disorder to chew and spit. It can be harmful if it is done routinely. I didn't get a chance to read further about how it's harmful but when I get a chance I will try to post.

I'm not sure nutritionally what you actually are getting from it, but I don't think it's weird. Maybe ask your dr. about this though. Input is always good.

Uh oh I actually figured this because I've seen it on a few different tv shows but I also heard that the Vitamins come from the juice of the fruit and not the pulpy left over stuff so i was hoping i found a loophole.

Why don't you put them in a food processor or blender so that the texture is smoother?

lol I was going to say I have seen worse on that show "my strange addiction" but dropped it. (is that the show you were thinking of by chance? it's a weirdddd show)

Honestly, my fear would be that over time, your body will become used to the chew/spit reflex. I googled as Niahri said and read other threads on this. Do the same and speak with your dr., nurse, nutritionist. Maybe you need a Vitamin that could alleviate this craving. (they have chewable Vitamins in orange, I forget the brand and those ARE good for you... maybe that would help your craving as well?)

Why don't you put them in a food processor or blender so that the texture is smoother?

Because I don't actually want to eat the bulky parts. I wish their was a deeper reason.

lol I was going to say I have seen worse on that show "my strange addiction" but dropped it. (is that the show you were thinking of by chance? it's a weirdddd show)

Honestly, my fear would be that over time, your body will become used to the chew/spit reflex. I googled as Niahri said and read other threads on this. Do the same and speak with your dr., nurse, nutritionist. Maybe you need a Vitamin that could alleviate this craving. (they have chewable Vitamins in orange, I forget the brand and those ARE good for you... maybe that would help your craving as well?)

Ya that show and there was also a girl on Intervention who would do that she actually was anorexic and had a feeding tube and everything. I am thinking about talking to the nutritionist but it's kinda embarrassing.

sweetie, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. it's better to ask than to not to and something go wrong or develop wrong from it.

you know whenever we are 'fat' we learn to hide everything don't we? (or maybe that was just me? doubt it, but i'll admit that was my behavior) i stuffed my emotions and food helped me cope. THAT was silly but... it was learned for years. how i wish someone had been available to ask stupid questions of to save me years of damage. changing our behaviors is the hard part of this journey and that's what it will take to be successful. well that's where my focus is... how to change my maladaptive thoughts into measures of success. due to this focus, i honestly don't care who thinks what of me on this journey. i justify it with i honestly don't know, i distorted my view on food and now i have this grand opportunity to make this change a success. the surgery's only half of it, it's a tool to help you get there, there's much more work to be done. i am like a baby, new and learning... so questions of all sorts are ok. ... it's daily small steps and i struggle with this. maybe i'm overthinking, maybe not... but there's nothing to be ashamed of anymore sweetie. please be proud of yourself. it took a HELLUVA lotta guts to get where you are. (and maybe you are like me, i minimize everything that i do well from years of being belittled and made to feel ashamed. but guess what? no more.. i AM changing and i'm going to fight to be successful).

but i still would like to encourage you just to ask just to make sure it's nothing harming you ok? best wishes...xoxo

I used to do this with oranges as a kid. I loved the flavor of an orange but I didn't like seeds or texture of the inside. I like clementines and tangelos now ( or did before surgery/only 2 weeks out so I cant try them yet) the inside texture is not as tough as a regular orange.

I think you would be better to buy fruit cups and actually eat and swallow them (when it's time) than to chew and spit. But, like others have said, just ask your surgeon or nutritionist.

I doubt you are getting any real nutrition from chewing and spitting, even citrus fruits. And, it's a habit that you probably don't want to start.

So much of eating is about the head, not the stomach, so just be careful and take care of you!

Ive been doing that since I was a toddler because I don't like the texture of the fruit. Especially if it's been peeled and has those little strings on it. I never thought of it to be a problem though because it only happened with oranges/tangerines and it wasn't something I ate regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

This is a psychological bad habit because it forms into a habit. In the beginning your fully aware of what your doinhg because the point is not to swallow anything that is not liquid. Later down the line due to the number of times your body has done this same action is because a unconscious habit that you will soon no longer be aware of until someone calls you out on it. For now this may JUST be done with the fruits, but later it will be with actual foods you need to sustain your body's everyday active. Plus you psychological train your body to to swallow solids which is a bad thing.

Since we are just babies retraining out bodies how to eat AFTER the surgery, this is a habit you would not want to take with 7-8 months down the line.

Jus my opinion

A lot of the good Vitamins are actually in the pith (white part) and membrane. I eat this with no problem. I would wait a couple months out though. Oh, I see you are. I wouldn't do the chew and spit. It is as habit forming and chew, swallow, vomit albeit less gross.

Why not just drink pure juice not from concentrate? I know they say you are not supposed to drink juice because of the calories, but I think it is the same as eating a fruit if you don't drink more than 4 oz.