Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Certain That Vsg Will Kill Me.

@Wheetin...I think you've hit the nail on the head, but maybe in a round about way.

This statement is interesting, though:

"It's not about the weight I'm going to lose, it's about the weight I'm never going to have to lose again."

See, that's what I told myself when I got the band, and here I am, needing to lose the same lbs. I think that really is what it boils down to..I've been through this once, thought it was once and for all, and clearly it wasn't.

And..when is your date? Mine is Tuesday, the 27th. Also, I'm pretty close to you...up near Omaha.

Hi kimmr' date='

You are just being normal. I think most people are at least a little frightened of this surgery. I know that I refused to think about it in the days leading up to surgery and then, when I got to the hospital, I freaked out! I knew surgery was the right thing to do, but it is also a huge (HUGE!) step, as you know.

The nurse gave me a few valium and knocked me out or I might have left the hospital before surgery. If you are not opposed to it, you might ask for something to calm your fears these last few days. Just an idea. It sure helped me!

Good luck, I am sure you will do great![/quote']

Thanks I think I will ask for some drugs to call me down when I get to the hospital. Cause god knows I'm starting to Freak out.

I agree that your feelings are very normal. I had many fears going into the surgery, including the long term one you mention. As far as i could tell, the primary long term risk is of acid reflux. That still concerns me, especially since just the last few days an acidy feeling has shown up.....

The flip side is that while I am still mobidly obese, I look and feel so much better. it is amazing what a difference even losing 40% or so of my excess weight! I am finding myself returning to enjoy physical activity again- I can move!!! I can't begin to express how much easier day to day life is, and I am still early on this journey.

In the end, it comes down to a risk/benefit trade off and I think you have come to the conclusion that the benefit IS worth the risk. I think taking something to help with the anxiety can make a big difference because you are ready to do this, but just feel anxious. I felt the same way you do.

There is nothing that says you have to do it now, right? So if you're that scared and aren't ready, taking some time to sort it out isn't going to hurt you. You should be 100% ready for any surgery that is voluntary. Maybe talk to your surgeon again and see if it helps.

I think your fears are normal. I almost didn't get on the plane to leave! I got some irrational fear. Before my plane took off, I literally was thinking about not boarding (when I was in the pre boarding waiting area). Once I got to my destination, I was fine. I felt like I was on this journey and I had made up my mind to be healthier and happier. I really hope it all works out for you. I hope you report back here that you are all good after your surgery!

Hey all, thanks for your words of encouragement.

I do need to do this. First and foremost, I have a malfunctioning band that needs to come out. As poor as my band is right now, it is giving me some restriction, and I gained 40 lbs on that 'some restiction.' I can't imagine how fast I'd gain with no band. ....actually, I don't need to imagine that, that was my life over and over and over again pre-WLS.

Tomorrow's the day. I'm nervous, for sure, but like I said before, I'm confident I'll come out of surgery just fine, I just worry about the long term unknowns.

But, as someone said earlier, I can't live in fear. I just have to make the best decision I can with the information I have in front of me.

Thanks everyone.

oh my goodness.. i feel that this is me.. i have been reading all these forums trying to put into words exactly how i have been feeling and then you pop up with exactly what i have been thinking... my lapband failed me and 4wks go i had it removed so i could do the revision to sleeve, i go in on 10th May for my revision and have been stressing ever since my band removal that i am doing the right thing..(before band removal i was confident i was ) since removal i have gained 4kg(12kg total gain since christmas when the band totally busted) and a part of me knows that i can not regain much more or it will be a case of more to loose.. however i have also been made more nervous because my doc says he is perfectly happy with current weight and the gain .. (go figure that one) and he started explaining all the risks again and asking if i would like to just try another new band,and sleeve is permanant , higher risk etc, and really made me start to second guess myself.. but after reading everyone else responses i am feeling sooo much better.. so thankyou for your posts and all the responses

Hey Petal...well, I went through with it and came out on other side. I did feel a huge sense of relief as soon as I woke up that was most definitely tied to the fact that the debate was over. I had revised to a sleeve, I could no longer justify that internal struggle.

Does that make sense? I'm not saying that I don't still have some concerns that I made the right decision, or that I might face some unknown consequences...especially long term. But, the surgery is done, I can no longer lose sleep over whether or not I'm making the right decision. I made that decision because, with the information I know now, it was the best decision for me.

My therapist has explained it nicely....regret is a choice. You CHOOSE to regret something. And if you choose to regret something, that means you're holding yourself accountable for knowing what the future holds, which is completely asinine. I made the best decision that I could for myself in 2012. If 2025 gets here, and something is wrong, well, I still won't 'regret' it, because in 2012, there's no way I could know what's going to happen in 2025.

I bugs me when people post these, "do you regret it?" posts. I just don't like the term 'regret.' It seems sort of simple minded. Maybe I'm being harsh, but that's the way I see it.

We may be kindred spirits on the logic aspect of things. It may help you to know that this procedure has been around for a long time, just not specifically as a bariatric procedure. The majority of gastroectomies are still performed for treatment of gastric cancers.

Did you know surgeons have been doing gastroectomies since 1881? Well, technically they were done before then, but that was the first successful one. :)

And remember that you do not need a stomach to survive.

So what types of long term fears are you considering? Or is it more generic than that?

I needed to hear this to help with my own personal fears. If all else fails can I live without a stomach? YES. And they have been doing this for a really, really, long time in different forms and people have lived.

Good Post!

I think you need to research your decision a little further.

I think it is perfectly normal to have these feelings, after all it is a BIG DECISION.Whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and you have a lot of people out here pulling for you either way. You are wonderfully and perfectly made.I commend you for seeking counseling it's a great thing to do for yourself. Once your mind is in the right place your body will follow. Hang in there, sending lots of positive thoughts your way. God Bless!

Kimmr, please post an update on how you are doing? We would love to hear!