Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared - About To Start Preop Diet

So, my big day to be sleeved is 3/6. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Tuesday starts my 2 week liquid preop diet. I am scared to death of this phase. I know I have to do it after surgery but it should be easier then. I'm afraid I won't be able to do it now and will fail.

In the mean time, I've been eating everything in site because it's the 'last' time I can eat it. I think I gained another 10 lns. :-( Tomorrow will be my big blow out day. Then Tuesday the journey begins. Wish me luck because I'm going to need it.

I know I am doing the right thing but it's still scary. I fear giving up food. I fear the pain. I look forward to being able to walk up the stairs without getting out of breath. I look forward to being able to tie my shoes. i look forward to stiing in a booth. I look forward to crossing my legs. I look forward to standing for a long period of time without my back hurting. I look forward to like what i see in the mirror. I look forward to feeling good about myself. BUT I AM SCARED!

I did that when I started my 2 week pre op i think its easier if you work up to it..... it was so hard for me i cheated a few times ive lost 7lbs on it thou.......now that im 3 days from surgery ive been following it to the letter these past couple of days

It is hard but worth it, I'm on a liquid diet as well , my surgery date is around the corner and I'm just counting down the days... But u can do it, it just gets easier with time

We are having the surgery the same day! :)

Like you I am also very nervous about starting the liquid pre-op diet on Tuesday. I'm worried that if I struggle through the pre-op diet that I will talk myself out of surgery easier. I also think it will be much easier to drink only liquids right after surgery because you will be able to tell yourself that if you eat anything, you could damage where they cut the stomach.

I think I would also be trying to eat all the junk food in sight as a food funeral type situation if it weren't for my surgeon being so strict on how much you have to lose before surgery. I have to lose 25 pounds total before surgery and I was told my surgeon will postpone surgery even if I lose 24 of the 25 pounds.

Anyway, we should keep in touch! Would be interesting to compare experiences since they will be happening the same time. Good luck on your pre-op diet!!!

I know it sounds impossibly difficult, but you can do it! Keep your eyes on the prize...the pre-op diet will help so much with your journey! My best suggestion is to keep yourself as busy as possible, and drink a ton of water! Congratulations on your decision! Good Luck to you!

nice my surgery date is on 3/5 i started my pre op diet today n let me tell u uugh, its hard but u can do it, i am trying to live day by day. don't think about food, like u pointed out all the positive let that motivate u not to put food in ur mouth.. follow ur doc orders its for our safely n plus it would be pounds less that we have to lose.. my doc said i have to lose 17 pounds.. 160 Optifast 5 shakes a day equals to 800cal.. i work in a super center were there are food courts n a large grocery section that i pass by more than six times during my 8 hr shift.. i am home now drinking up my fourth shake, my last one will be around 9.. since its every 3 hours.. i to ate a lot last week, taco bell lol MC Donald , n went to my favorite bakery.. had me a piece of cake.. but its all forward now!.. WE CAN DO IT GIRL

Be supercareful with your eating. If you are having several days of cheating be sure you are ready to battle your head hunger, and have your triggers under control.

I don't kno wif you were told but the diet is intended to reduce the fat in your liver and surrounding your stomach.

The below video is graphic so don't watch it if you can't...but if you do keep in mind your tummy does not look like that. This stummy has been on the post op diet longer, in anticipation of creating a video that could easily be seen. Cheating on your pre op will lead to a fatty liver and the fat that is pushed aside in this video will be more profound, and thicker and harder to see through. Use it as motivation to stay on your pre-op.

What does a pre op diet consist of and for how long?

I just got my liquid diet kit to start on Wednesday. It seems like such a small amount of food for two weeks. But I knew this was coming, so I cut out diet cokes, sugar, and caffeine about 2 weeks ago and I've been eating smaller meals. I'm hoping that if I go through the food and caffeine withdrawals now that's one less thing to worry about after surgery.

Oh and Pookey, I watched that video before I made my decision to have the surgery. It didn't look that bad to me, which helped me decide to do this.

I have read so much about the liquid diet. My preop diet will consist of a low-fat Atkins diet to shrink my liver.

I will be sleeved on March 14th. I start my 2 week liquid on the 28th. I'm trying to supplement at least 1 meal a day already to help with the process of having "No" food for 2 weeks.

Debvzw - I live in South GA, Statesboro!

I just got my surgery date and diet. Mine is easy!! For 7 days pre-op, I will be on a low carb diet to shrink the liver. Then I do Clear liquids for 2 days pre-op. I have no room to complain.

My surgery date is March 12th. I am excited but nervous.

Caro- Birmingham, Alabama

man you guys are lucky!! r u guys doing this in the states? or where cuz my pre-op diet consists of Crystal light, the light one lol 5 cal per serving.. all you can eat jello.. 5cals each 4 ounce cup.. n of course the 160ca Optifast tshakes 5 times a day 3 t o4 hours in between, preferably every three hours,, so um broth n creamy foods as ur diet sounds good cus i am so hungry right now so i am really craving my last shake which i am currently about to open lol.