Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soooo, Anyone Else Feeling Cold Much Of The Time?

So no one has had it explained WHY we're all so cold? I worry about thyroid problems because they run in my family, and I know being cold a lot can be a sign of developing hypothyroidism. My mom is ALWAYS COLD because of it.

I don't mind when I know it's just a part of the process, but I worry about ignoring other possible health issues!

I'm always cold too. Sometimes I just can't seem to warm up and I take a hot bath, that works. I also keep a heated throw blanket next to my couch. I think it must have to do with our bodies getting used to not having all the fat layer to keep us warm.

So no one has had it explained WHY we're all so cold? I worry about thyroid problems because they run in my family, and I know being cold a lot can be a sign of developing hypothyroidism. My mom is ALWAYS COLD because of it.

I don't mind when I know it's just a part of the process, but I worry about ignoring other possible health issues!

I already have hypothyroidism, so my thyroid is always being checked - I'm good!

I've had this before when I lost a lot of weight (temporarily) through calorie restriction and exercise, but I didn't manage to stay thin too long so I don't know how long this will last.

Not everyone is the same. if it is isolated to feet or hands then it could be a circulatory problem. The general cold feeling many of us have is our body relearning our thermostat. We had insulation for the longest time, and now we are less padded but also consuming less calories, so the body sits on it's fuel that it would have turned up the thermostat with.

Um, not very steeped in medical terminology but I hope it helps!

There are actually ways to eat that will stoke the furnace - Eskimo and other high north natives have been doing it forever(ish). But we cannot eat like that. Suprisingly is isn't volume. But we cant swallow food whole, and most people dislike semi-rancid, semi Jerky foods! (my hubby tried it and it actually works - can make you sweat even - but also just about made him, er, well...he didnt feel so well. You have to get used to it).

Freezing all the time, especially in the evenings--my husband was cold for a couple of months after being sleeved, but mine seems to have lasted a lot longer. Can't wait until summer, though, since I hope to get through our sweltering tropical weather this year without being a wilted, sweaty mess. :-) Meanwhile, there are fuzzy socks and lovely fluffy sweatshirts, and I'm wearing them--ALL THE TIME! I sleep in sweats and sometimes two sweatshirts, plus an extra blanket. Ridiculous! But I'll take it over the insulating layer of fat I used to have any day of the week.

Yes,

I get very cold, very easily now. I imagine it will get better once you stop losing and stablize your weight....

Yes! I'm freezing ALL the time. I was always hot before, but now I'm constantly cold. I sleep with 3 comforters and several pieces of warm clothing and I never get warm. I started turning on a spare heater in my room and shutting the door before my husband comes to bed. He says it's so hot in the room it's hard for him to breath, but I still feel cold. I know I live in Michigan, but I always stay bundled and it doesn't matter. I'm sure I will eventually adjust. I've had my blood drawn lately so there's nothing wrong that they found. I'm just cold (brrrr!)

I've been cold since day 3 of my surgery. I was the guy that could sit on the ice all day with no gloves on, no hat and enjoy a balmy 30 degree day. Now I'm wearing long underwear, sweaters and still cold. Last nite I had the stove going and it was 86 in the living room and I had to have a blanket on.

Sleeve surgery has turned me into a wuss. LOL

It's got to be the calorie deficit. I must have been running on 2500 calories or more depending on the day and now I consume 500-700 a day. I'm not comfortable unless the temp is around 72.

I read this while sitting at my desk at work in my office building wearing a coat......... I used to do this all year around with a fan blowing!

Yep, I wear a sweatshirt/pants around the house with fuzzy socks and a sweater all day at work. Can't wait for summer here in the south!

*Raises both hands & jumps up and down* This chick right here!

I am almost 1 year out and I am always cold! My husband had gastric bypass about 7 years ago and is still cold, but not as bad as he was the first couple of years. I just wear layers, which is a nice change from my pre-surgery condition of always being too hot! I now enjoy wearing sweaters!! I'm glad to be rid of my "fatty" old sweater!