Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls Are No Big Deal So Why Complain?

I don't understand the posts of "Im stalled and not losing weight". Whats up with that? It just gets me fired up when I hear this from others.

I mean, come on, 85% of your stomach has been removed, we eat like birds and someone thinks something is wrong when they don't loose weight for a few days to weeks??? My so-called stall happened when I switched to mushy foods, go figure. Body needed to adjust to it. Took a week and back to loosing about a pound per day if I stick to good healthy food.

If I were stalled for more than a few days, I would contact my NUT and look over what and when I put in my mouth. I guess I'm just venting here, but there is no quick fix to being fat. It takes our bodies time to adjust. If we all ate like we should have before the surgery, we wouldn't be fat in the first place. It's just simple math. I consumed a average of 6000 calories a day and now about 500 calories. Yes I may stall a few days but will loose the weight when my body says so!

I guess it is because people want to see a steady loss and sometimes it isnt the case. My body seems to have a pattern. I will drop 2 or 3 pounds, usually on the weekend and then stay the same for a week, sometimes two and then drop again. I can expect there to be no weight loss the next weekend and I just wait it out and sure enough, by the next saturday, I will be down some. I dont think we have "control" of that. lilmissdiva has a boot camp to break stalls and I have been at the same weight for two weeks so I looked at it, thinking about trying it. It turns out that the bootcamp is what I already do everyday! I have not strayed from the basics so I am in bootcamp all the time! My hubby pointed out that one of the main reasons I had this surgery was to quit dieting all the time and just have a healthy lifestyle. He says trying this and that and bootcamps and all the craziness was doing the opposite of what I wanted. I was obsessing over every little carb, calorie, etc and he thinks like you do... We CANT eat too much and so as long as we eat our Protein first and drink fluids, we WILL loose the weight. It comes off when our body decides, not us. Nothing we do is going to change that. Now, if you have gotten away from eating protein and are just eating empty calories all the time, then I would say you need to eat right but if you are plugging along eating protein first, getting some fluids in to prevent dehydration, you will be fine and there is nothing you need to do or try to break the stall... Its just your body adjusting and you might as well get used to it. We cant control that part of it. Just my 2cents.

You are definatly right about this. I guess we just get confused as to how the body works. Especially when we are eating like birds and we aren't losing weight. I don't know about the others, but there is a fear that comes over me when I stall. I'm only 7 weeks out and my fear would be that when I stall...that's as far as my weight loss is going to go. We freak out because we fear that after all we've gone through...this could be the end of the line. Of course common sense would say that this can't be the case. We just get discouraged. Speaking for myself of course. But alas...as you stated there is no quick fix for being fat.

I know for a few sleever it is disconcerting to be in a stall so soon after surgery. They don't tell you that your body needs time to adjust and that it is normal. I have the fear of being stuck like gettingtohappy said. We all do somewhere. We all got this surgery and we want it to work.

I think that people write about stalls through frustration! Simples! =]

I would agree that writing about stalls is just a great way to vent frustrations. We all go through them but no one likes them and they can be frustrating.

Sometimes we just need to vent and talk about our fears. I know that being in a stall makes us feel like we have failed in yet another diet. That is our emotional self talking, our cognition knows that we are in a stall and that we will continue to lose. Writing about it takes away some of the frustration. I was thinking that I didn't weight my self for the first 5-6 weeks and so I didn't know if i was in a stall or not. Now I weight myself everyday and I'm fluctuating. So I have decided to put the scale away and only weight 1 time per week. Eat healthy and exercise daily. That is all I can do. Have a wonderful day..... ;)

Because someone paid big bucks for a sleeve, doesn't guarentee success!!! Watching what you eat and keeping track of your claories does!!!It's simple math, calories in, calories burned!

Most of us on here failed miserably at that in life and ended up sleeved!I see people on this site and others that lost 100 pounds then don't loose for a week and get frustrated and post it! They were already a BIG success loosing the 100 pounds!!!This isn't a race, this is a lifestyle. THATS WHY I POSTED MY FRUSTRATION ABOUT STALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many people on here have accomplished so much already and seem not to see it.

semi rant....

After being on this board for over a year, I can tell you that I have seen about a bazillion posts about someone not losing weight for a day and getting all upset and blaming the surgery or themselves with failure. The body just can't stay the same or lose all the time. Weight loss does slow down as time goes on as well... when you lose a pound a day then have a two day stall and say its no big deal, wait until you stall for 6 weeks after losing 2 pounds the previous month. This is also normal, but frustrating. There are many many great threads on here with tons of advice from long timers on stalls... People have spent hours and hours of thier time talking down upset sleevers...I just wish folks would do a search before going ballistic on the little things. I think its true we just gotta vent now and again, and I know I have had fear that when the scales are the same for "too" long, that is where I will stay forever... Or when I gain 3 pounds that means I am going to gain all the weight back... even though I am eating 1200 calories a day and exercising 4 times a week... its part of the roller coaster ride.

Plain and simple: We complain because we are SCARED TO DEATH THAT THIS WILL BE ANOTHER FAILED ATTEMPT AT WEIGHT LOSS. I am a little peeved that this topic is even here, but whatevs. We have been struggling with weight loss for years and we have failed. This is an extreme last resort at finally getting the weight off. It is a total head game. We KNOW that 85% of our stomach has been removed, We KNOW that we eat like birds and that we don't eat enough not to loose, We KNOW it is calories in vs calories out. We have ALL done the pre-op work. What we don't know is that if this surgery was done in vain and if we have our hopes and expectations up to high. Obviously it is the norm to be upset about the scale not moving. We have all of our hopes in this surgery and we are afraid of failing. THAT'S WHY WE COMPLAIN.

I think stalls freak people out because there is always that fear in the back of your mind that you are going to be that rare person for whom the procedure doesn't work and the stall is the first confirmation. Although this is rare for the sleeve, there are plenty of people with the band who unfortunately had fear come true.

Plain and simple: We complain because we are SCARED TO DEATH THAT THIS WILL BE ANOTHER FAILED ATTEMPT AT WEIGHT LOSS. I am a little peeved that this topic is even here, but whatevs. We have been struggling with weight loss for years and we have failed. This is an extreme last resort at finally getting the weight off. It is a total head game. We KNOW that 85% of our stomach has been removed, We KNOW that we eat like birds and that we don't eat enough not to loose, We KNOW it is calories in vs calories out. We have ALL done the pre-op work. What we don't know is that if this surgery was done in vain and if we have our hopes and expectations up to high. Obviously it is the norm to be upset about the scale not moving. We have all of our hopes in this surgery and we are afraid of failing. THAT'S WHY WE COMPLAIN.

hi leslie,

i think your explanation is right on target. "This is an extreme last resort of finally getting the weight off". How true.

When I was in the hospital, my roommate asked me what i was in for, I told her i just had WLS. She looked at me and said, "you must feel very desperate." First i was kind of taken a back with what she said, but then i thought to myself,"yes i am very desperate".

Like everyone said basically is that most of us have tried it all, we need this surgery to work - and we know how this surgery should work, what we need to do. When things don't go as planned though, we might vent about a stall. It doesn't do any harm, and it might make us feel better talking about it.

kathy

If it gets you fired up, don't red it. Simple enough! After paying big money and having 85% of our stomachs taken out, I think we're entitled to complain and show some apprehenion about our stalls!

I'm so with you on this one!!! The topic titles are there for a reason, if you dont like reading about other's stalls, pass over them. This is a forum for all topics of VSG and stalls and complaing and horrible rants are part of it. Including your own post complaining about others complaining. If it offers them relief then by all means please rant and feel free to. Others want to know what others have gone through; good and BAD. Just my opinion.

logic that "this too shall pass" doesn't always prevail when you're so emotionally and physically married to a situation. We all have times and situations that we freak out about. I know that after i have my adrenal tumors removed, I'll see great progress. I know before that, I probably won't. I have come to terms with that - but for someone who doesn't have an issue like that, and they're doing EVERYTHING right - there's no logic to not losing weight. We are emotional beings. We all do choose how we react to situations, but some are more tenuous and stressful than others for some people. Yes, I get a little flustered when I see that someone is losing their mind over the scale not moving for a day, but when it becomes weeks or months, it gets concerning....is there another medical problem? That's what I'm faced with - I have another medical problem that has led me to GET the sleeve - so it will always be in the back of my mind that there could be another factor.

And let's face it - you're a guy. You're blessed with a larger muscle mass and testosterone base - you'll lose weight faster. Women have estrogen and other hormone issues that inhibit weight loss. Not losing weight and gaining weight are symptoms of other medical issues that women get that men cannot possibly fathom. PCOS, Ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, uterine fibroids, and while men can get breast cancer, its exponentially less of a risk for men than women - all of which a symptom is weight gain or unexplained lack of weight loss when it should occur. We also have to worry about menopause, we're more at risk for thyroid and pituitary issues. We wonder about these things every day - there's no cure for most of this stuff - but there sure as hell has been hundreds of millions of dollars put into research to fix erectile disfunction. Yeah - we might get a little testy, but guess what? we have every reason to.

I'm not diminishing your success and the medical issues that you have, but you need to recognize that not everyone can just pop out part of their stomach and be all set. It doesn't necessarily work that way for women.