Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Slow At Very Beginning?

Janet53 I am 5weeks post op and have only lost 8lbs. I dont know anyone else to loose that slow. Never been more frustrated in my life!

Janet53 I am 5weeks post op and have only lost 8lbs. I dont know anyone else to loose that slow. Never been more frustrated in my life!

That's me slowwww loser 12 weeks post post down 30 lbs.I too get frustrated but then again a loss is a loss. WE just have to hang in their.

I'm really happy I'm not alone here. I lost 18 pounds on the preop diet and at 5 1/2 weeks post op I've lost 20 pounds. I've complained to the doctor but he didn't seem overly concerned and kind of made me feel like it wasn't that big of a deal.

I have really been struggling with my fluids and feel this is a direct contributor to my slow loss. I keep berating myself about getting these fluids in but my work is going crazy right now! I got to work at 7:30am and left at 7:30pm. As I was leaving I realized I hadn't peed since I got up this morning!! I really want to drink because I know what the results will be if I do, but I'm so damn busy I can't get the fluids in. I haven't lost any weight in about 4 weeks :(

Anyway.... Everyday my goal is to drink more. My calories and Protein are in check. I'm really hoping I can commit to getting my fluids in so I can start losing again!!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using VST

Butterfly, keep a drink at your desk if you can. I drink a lot more when something cold and delicious is sitting right next to me than if I have to get up and go to the kitchen and get something. I have started getting really picky about the flavor of my Water, too--I took a "time out" from all sweeteners, sugar and artificial, and drank just plain water for a couple of months, not on purpose, just to avoid the artificial sweeteners, which had a horrid taste to me. But I realized I wasn't drinking enough for our hot summer weather (and I'm from Longview, TX, just down the road from you, living in south Louisiana now!). So I got some Mio--love the lemonade--and some Torani sugar-free raspberry Syrup, and I make a raspberry lemonade that I can't WAIT to drink. I drink a LOT of water now. :-) Try flavoring your water with something you find irresistible and keep it handy.

I talked with the bariatrics team. Almost everyone loses in a stair step pattern. People lose a bit and then are flat or may be up a few pounds. But over time the weight will come off. I feel so much better that even if it slows I still think that it is worth it. Keep your spirits up and do well!

I am one month post op tomorrow and have lost a grand total of 8 pounds. When I read all the posts about losing 20 plus pounds the first month and then slowing to 10 pounds a month I get really scared. I was hoping for 10 pounds a month but now that my first month was 8' date=' I fear the following months which are typically lower will be 5 pounds a month. This is EXACTLY what I would lose on my own and I was able to eat a lot more food and have cheat days! I am not giving up hope, thinking maybe I am just a slow starter, but if I end up at 5-6 pounds a month from now on I am not going to be a happy camper. [/quote']

I know your post was from months ago, wondering where you stand today. I will be 4 weeks on wednesday. Only down 8 lbs. How could this be? My eating has changed 100%. Im nervous that something isnt right..

I too wonder about the people who posted here. I've read all the posts and share in your concern. I am 12.5 months out from surgery and have lost between 50 to 54 pounds. The docs ran a test to see what my metabolism shows, which the results are at the 25th percentile - very slow. I was put on 800 cals/day and did that for a month with a 4 to 5 pound loss. Then increased to 1,000 cals, but not any more of a loss. Then increased to 1,200 cals and still no loss. I have exercised and not exercised. Taken in less Protein and more Protein. It doesn't seem to matter. I have never had so much difficulty in losing weight. The difference is that what I have lost will probably stay off.

I'm not giving up! However, I am now looking as losses in ounces instead of pounds. Frustrated, but still plugging away.

I am one month post op tomorrow and have lost a grand total of 8 pounds. When I read all the posts about losing 20 plus pounds the first month and then slowing to 10 pounds a month I get really scared. I was hoping for 10 pounds a month but now that my first month was 8' date=' I fear the following months which are typically lower will be 5 pounds a month. This is EXACTLY what I would lose on my own and I was able to eat a lot more food and have cheat days! I am not giving up hope, thinking maybe I am just a slow starter, but if I end up at 5-6 pounds a month from now on I am not going to be a happy camper. [/quote']

Hi Janet I was hoping to get an update on how your doing. my story is very similar to your's and well it's been a couple of months I wanted to know if things got any better. I was sleeved 8 weeks ago and I've only lost 17 pounds. Thanks Sandy

Hi Janet I was hoping to get an update on how your doing. my story is very similar to your's and well it's been a couple of months I wanted to know if things got any better. I was sleeved 8 weeks ago and I've only lost 17 pounds. Thanks Sandy

In the same boat as you. Sleeved 11/14, lost 17 lbs. so far. I agree, it's difficult reading all these posts. Haven't been able to put my finger on why. I know I'm not drinking enough Water. I still don't believe this is the reason. I do not track my calories, fat, etc...but I do know I am not eating to much.

My surgery was December 12. I lost 11 lbs the week before and another 14 the first week after and now I haven't lost anything for 3 weeks. I also have trouble with the Protein powders I can't stand the taste.

Hi Fellow Slow Users

Well, looks like I'm a slow loser. This is so demoralizing. I'm 3 weeks post op - as of couple days ago I had lost 16-18lbs (depending on the day). I was frustrated with my scale because it would never give the same number--while standing on it it would bobble up and down and never really lock on. I was so frustrated I bought a new scale-- it came today. It was the highest rated /most reviews on Amazon. My husband got on and it was dead on. We put both scales side by side... both scales got his weight right. I get on the scale and it immediately locked on ( yea for that at least!) but it read 260. I thought I was seeing wrong -- got on again -- immediately locked on 260! That means I have only lost 11 pounds since surgery 3 weeks ago. How is this possible???? I knew I would be a slow user but my God, now I'm thinking I really will be a failure at this too.

My calories are between 600-800 and 50-70g Protein. Now, I know I am not getting enough Water. Not near enough. But come on, that can't be the full answer??????

I knew I'd be a slow loser and so did my nutritionist. But this slow?? I was having trouble maintaining my weight for the couple of years and I averaged 1200-1400 daily. I gained weight on Weight Watchers. I was so desperate -- that is why I decided to have the sleeve.

The only good thing is now I have a scale that I can rely on -- even if it makes me miserable at least I know it's right.

Very depressed.... If I can lose 2lbs a week I'd be happy (ok, not happy happy but relieved that it's no zero)

Can the rest of the slow users give updates?

~Dana

Hi Fellow Slow Users

Well' date=' looks like I'm a slow loser. This is so demoralizing. I'm 3 weeks post op - as of couple days ago I had lost 16-18lbs (depending on the day). I was frustrated with my scale because it would never give the same number--while standing on it it would bobble up and down and never really lock on. I was so frustrated I bought a new scale-- it came today. It was the highest rated /most reviews on Amazon. My husband got on and it was dead on. We put both scales side by side... both scales got his weight right. I get on the scale and it immediately locked on ( yea for that at least!) but it read 260. I thought I was seeing wrong -- got on again -- immediately locked on 260! That means I have only lost 11 pounds since surgery 3 weeks ago. How is this possible???? I knew I would be a slow user but my God, now I'm thinking I really will be a failure at this too.

My calories are between 600-800 and 50-70g Protein. Now, I know I am not getting enough Water. Not near enough. But come on, that can't be the full answer??????

I knew I'd be a slow loser and so did my nutritionist. But this slow?? I was having trouble maintaining my weight for the couple of years and I averaged 1200-1400 daily. I gained weight on Weight Watchers. I was so desperate -- that is why I decided to have the sleeve.

The only good thing is now I have a scale that I can rely on -- even if it makes me miserable at least I know it's right.

Very depressed.... If I can lose 2lbs a week I'd be happy (ok, not happy happy but relieved that it's no zero)

Can the rest of the slow users give updates?

~Dana[/quote']

Hi Dana,

I'm pretty new to the forums here but have done a hell of a lot of reading!

I am six weeks out and have lost nineteen pounds. Most of that was in the first two weeks post-op. up until a couple of days ago, I was pretty down about it all, but people on here have cheered me up no end and made me realise we are all different.

I am not the same person I was in my late teens when I could lose fourteen pounds in a week. I really thought I'd lose faster as well as you, but we just have to accept that it may take longer. We didn't get the way we are in a couple of months or even a year, it took me almost fourty years!

I must say when I let go of the stress two days ago, I dropped almost two and half pounds overnight, it's still gone but nothing since and I accept that as a win!

There are a heap of threads about what is termed a three week stall, have a look at what these people are saying, it helped me to read, read, read.

I am terming myself the tortoise, maybe you are too, along with many others, we will win this race, slow and easy :-)

You are not alone.

8 weeks 19 pounds! I'm a lightweight. It's so sad i don't regret... I'm still very happy I did it but like everyone else wish thing would speed up.

5'0

Before 204

At surgery 199

Today 180

8 weeks 19 pounds! I'm a lightweight. It's so sad i don't regret... I'm still very happy I did it but like everyone else wish thing would speed up.

5'0

Before 204

At surgery 199

Today 180

Totally agree. Everyone tells me slow and steady is ok. I don't regret it either. That would be fantastic if things would speed up over here too. I'm 9 weeks, 23 lbs gone.. Good luck.