Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Slow At Very Beginning?

Hi, i fear I am going to be a slow loser. Here I am 11 days post op, and i've barely lost anything. its hard to watch all the posts of people saying, "oh hey, I lost 15 lbs at my 1 week post op appt." Not me -- 2 lbs. Sigh. I was wondering if you all had slow weight loss from the very beginning?

Julie-I feel the same way. I thought that since I started with a much higher BMI that I would lose faster. Doesn't seem to be the case.

It's hard not to get discouraged. People will say "Every loses at their own rate", which, while true doesn't make me feel any better. For once couldn't I be the one who loses faster!!

I lost 24 pounds in my two weeks liquid pre-op. Then only like 22 my first month!! I lost that much doing WW and i got to eat all day everyday.

I just try to keep telling myself- at least the weight is going in the right direction Down! for a change. And I keep telling myself that it will happen, even if i lose slower than others (especially the men!!!)

It's especially hard for me- because I know from past experience that even when I lose 100# you can barely tell. Because I have so much to lose I don't get the NSV's that others do short term. When I lost the 100# before I didn't even go down a bra size or a clothes size! Yes, I felt better and was able to do more physical activity, but I didn't have anyone coming up to me and telling me how great I looked-whereas some people exhibit noticeable changes after only 30 or 50 lbs.

So just try and think it doesn't matter how slow it's coming off-at least it's coming off. And we really can't compare ourselves to others-metabolisms vary-what we eat varies-amount of physical activity-even age plays a big part.

Hang in there and keep working the plan and we will both get there on our own time. Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Hi, i fear I am going to be a slow loser. Here I am 11 days post op, and i've barely lost anything. its hard to watch all the posts of people saying, "oh hey, I lost 15 lbs at my 1 week post op appt." Not me -- 2 lbs. Sigh. I was wondering if you all had slow weight loss from the very beginning?

I know what you mean. My first week I lost 11lbs. I was so happy then my second week 2lbs! I get worried but hey at least I'm losing and not gaining. We just have to remember to take it one day at a time, we will get there soon enough!

Please don't get disheartened at the rate that you are losing, because you ARE losing. I completely understand how you feel as I too am a slow loser. But, at 18mths post op, I am still positive that I can get to goal.

Try to remember that in the early weeks your body is in a lil bit of a tizz... just had major surgery and it is thinking, what the hell is going on here? It will take some time to adjust but I promise you that the weight and inches will come off.

Stick with your surgeon's recommendations and if you haven't done it already measure yourself: calves, thigh, hip, waist, bust, arms and neck. Then if the scale is being a pain, take your measurements instead. When I was in a stall, especially in the beginning, I would be losing inches instead of pounds.

Finally, please try not to compare yourself to others here... I made that mistake and it took me to a real dark place! I got frustrated and angry that I wasn't at goal along with others who was sleeved either at a similar time or after me. I know appreciate that I am ME! My body has fought to keep every pound and it is still doing that, but I know that I will get the better of it and get to goal... at some point.

Good luck ... and stay positive! =]

Hey there Julie ... We sound like we're on the same trajectory. I hadn't lost an ounce since my sleeve Dec. 27, and then got up this morning and five pounds were gone. Go figure. I'm happy, but wary of the scale. I don't feel any different. I don't look any different (I thought maybe I'd see something in my face.)

These folks are right about not weighing every day (although I sure am glad I did today) and measuring yourself. And I think they're right ... if we just work the program, it will come back to us.

Hang in there girlfriend!!!

CC

I was! I have never lost more than an average of 3-4 pounds per week. I say average because there have been a couple times that I haven't lost at all, but then dropped 6 the next week... but then I was back to my 2 pounds a week. It SUCKS in the beginning, but once you are out a bit more it feels so much nicer. I wouldn't be too concerned. Also, you may still be retaining fluids since your surgery was less than two weeks ago. I would make sure you are getting your Water down.

The other thing I would suggest, which is really hard... is to get OFF the scale for a week. Seriously. It killed me to do this (I had my mom take the wii board and hide it, i use that as my scale) but after the first week where I was driving myself crazy with the weighing in... it was so worth it! To see the scale drop was an awesome feeling. Now I can weigh in just once a week and I'm fine with that. I've finally gotten to a point where I am not too obsessed with my weight.

Keep your chin up! You WILL lose the weight. Try to remember that the slow weight is actually a lot healthier overall... you are much less likely to have any regain when you lose slowly, your skin is said to not be as baggy when you lose slowly and your body isn't thrown out of balance as much.

Thanks fellow sleevies, I am going to do my best and put the scale away, so hard!! So if you are a slow loser, do you still stop losing at the same time everyone else does, in terms of the major window for weight loss?

I too am a slow loser. I lost 42lbs in 18 months on the back, eery lbs was a struggle. I switched to a sleeve for 2 reasons. I hoped for better success as I figured I was still eating too muchwith the back. ALso I was tired of things getting stuck and coming back up.

On the date of my surgery I weighd293. After the 3 week liquid diet I got down to 282 and I was pretty content with my progress. Now, fast forward 2.5 months and I weigh 286!!!!!! I have gained 4 lbs in the first 10 days after I started on food and havent lost anymore.

I talked to the nutritionist at my surgeons office. She said I wasnt eating enough and gave me a diet to follow. In 5 days I gained another 5 lbs. She suggested I see an endocrinologist.

In order to see one I have to get the blessing of my family doc. I havent been there in 6 months, so I will have a weight loss which doesnt look good for me. Also, my thyroid is normal.

Frankly, I dont know what to do next. I have been keeping my carbs under 50 and fat below 20mg. I think I am giong to increase what I eat, but not as far as the nutritionisht wanted to go, for awhile and see if I can trick my body into waking up again.

I admit I havent walked since the weather turned, but it is starting to get nice again and I plan on going back to walking 3 miles 4/week.

If anyone has a suggestion, I am all ears.

Thank you thank you thank you! Hiya, I am 3 mos post op & have lost on avg 8-10 lbs per month. I had to lose 10% of my highest wt before my insurance would even approve my surgery so total since Aug 2010 (when my MD started tracking my wt) I've dropped about 67 lbs. I have 100 more to go to reach goal. Sometimes my wt stalls for more than a week & the scale doesn't move. It is very frustrating when that happens because I like to see the numbers come down & my biggest fear is that I'll stall for good & that will be all the wt loss for me even though I still have so much wt left to lose. Thanks for the words of encouragement here!!

I am one month post op tomorrow and have lost a grand total of 8 pounds. When I read all the posts about losing 20 plus pounds the first month and then slowing to 10 pounds a month I get really scared. I was hoping for 10 pounds a month but now that my first month was 8, I fear the following months which are typically lower will be 5 pounds a month. This is EXACTLY what I would lose on my own and I was able to eat a lot more food and have cheat days! I am not giving up hope, thinking maybe I am just a slow starter, but if I end up at 5-6 pounds a month from now on I am not going to be a happy camper.

Not sure if this will help you guys in the early stages - or later on - but are you drinking enough? Within the first 6-8mths I need to keep my Fluid intake up to see the scale move.. doesn't effect the scale now but that could be down to other stuff that is going on i.e. the dreaded hormones that are racing through me and messing me around...lol.

Try it?

I definitely have hormonal issues myself. Which I am sure must make the weight loss slower. I have always been a slow loser though. I have been trying to up my Water intake the last few days so we will see. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

i am on same boat i lost 73lbs before surgey am now 2months post op and at a loss of 24 and twenty was first to weeks i am so discouraged. I eat 600-800 calories a day get 80grams of Protein, 8-9 glasses of Water and excercise 4-5xs a weeks a for at least an hour at a time. whats going on ?? how many calories are u getting?

yeah week one I gained 1pound...I'm assuming the fluids from the hospital....I am about to end my second week, so far my loss as been 7 pounds...my actual weigh in day is Monday....so I'm hoping to pick up some steam on this weightloss train....I want to lose fast, but not so fast my skin can't keep up and I'm sagging...

I am totally in the same boat as everyone here. I thought because I was heavier then my daughter (she had the gastric by-pass the same day I had the gastric sleeve) that I would lose more pounds then her in the beginning months. Not so. We had surgery May 25, 2012 and this week I have really been at a stand still. Eating the same, drinking my Water, admit I need to do more exercise. I will drop a lb one day, nothing the next, and then pick that lb back up the following day. It really depresses me. I am trying to climb out of this depression, spent some time outside yesterday afternoon floating in the pool and reading, cleared my head and I did feel much better. Maybe I should eat more. I just don't want to stretch my stomach, I have such a fear of doing that and gaining back all of the weight after a year. I am going to try eating more Protein, but then I won't have room for all of the wonderful veggies that are on now from our garden. I am going to try to start walking some and exercising in the pool, maybe that will help. Thanks for listening.