Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skinny girl issues...WTH!!!!!

This is not a success story but I am posting it here because when you reach goal or lower, these are issues that I am dealing with.

So here are the issue I am having now. I get constantly told how skinny I am or that someone does not like me because "your skinny". I get looks, I get stares, and I get under breath comments. I also am constantly being told..."You need to eat more!" or "When are you gonna stop loosing weight, you don't want to look sick?" or "Are you sick, did something happen to you?"

WOW.......this is really getting to me. I know others in my position have or are currently dealing with some of these issues.

I try to be patient and calm when someone offends me, because I do understand, however...it's getting REAL OLD!

I guess when I decided to make the decision to get the sleeve I made this choice for my health, not to yo yo diet anymore which I knew was bad for my health. I made this choice to be able to live a longer life for myself and my family.

I did not once make this choice to deal with any of these issue now. I understand that to some degree, it comes with the territory. What I did not realize is that society and people can be so jealous , mean hearted, and envious.

I keep thinking about a saying......"Watch out for what you wish for"........

So to all of you that are about to start your journey, are in it, or done......these are things to think about. Not that I would not have been sleeved had I known this...more that I wish I had a realization of reality of life skinny......the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.....trust me, I'm in the neighbors yard and it's not green over here either.

Lydia

Yeah, I get the same, typically from those who, um, could stand to lose a few pounds themselves. It makes them look bad - or should I say WORSE :)

Hi Lydia. :smile1:

All I can say is... I totally agree.

The comments are something else. Funny thing, I rarely was ever called "fat" or things like that. This is completely all new. I've lately been asked if I'm "okay" as if I might have cancer or something. Really?

Constantly being asked, "when are you going to stop losing weight???" with that wild and crazy look on their face. Or the "you're gonna turn anorexic". OMG I'm getting that word a lot now (anorexic).

I recently was told by someone really close to me the other day (shall remain nameless) that I've got that crazy persons illness where I see myself as fat when I'm not, instead I'm really the opposite (skinny). Ok, I don't know if these are supposed to be compliments or what.

I just try to laugh them off and move on. I don't know what else to do. I'm not going to try to gain the weight back.

It's come to the point where I'm being watched like a hawk at meals, and I can see the looks from others around as they see I pick at my food. I simply cannot eat like others. No, I don't regret my decision what so ever - it just becomes much more prevalent to others around you the smaller you are or get.

I'm just hopeful that will die down in time as they see I'm still healthy and vibrant. The losses will stop eventually. I'm just not going to sabotage myself and gain my weight back... LOL Anyway - thanks for the opportunity for us skinny chicks to rant.

ETA: Guys too... ie, Rootman

Exactly! I was never called FAT....what gives people the right to call me skinny! It's just so warped! Anorexia is the big one too...... I DON"T EAT AND PUKE MY food PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello??????

Can you tell how frustrated I am! gggrrrrr

I wonder if people are used to seeing you bigger, so it is shocking. I wonder if it will subside over the next year or more... once your new normal is established.

I know a few naturally skinny people, and they really are skinny, but are healthy. I think that sudden weight loss can initially appear unhealthy to others (although we know how much health improves by losing so much weight!).

Personally, I am ready to have this problem instead of feeling so big next to everyone else :)

Lydia - we are practically neighbors! Did you have your surgery locally?

its like you cant win either way!!! You look beautiful so just ignore all the haters. You have worked hard to get where you are. Remember the sleeve is just a tool and you did the rest! I know im not alone in this, i would rather people say i was too skinny than too fat. My best friend is super skinny and she hears that stuff everyday, its usually from the girls whos guys are checking her out!

I wonder if people are used to seeing you bigger, so it is shocking. I wonder if it will subside over the next year or more... once your new normal is established.

I know a few naturally skinny people, and they really are skinny, but are healthy. I think that sudden weight loss can initially appear unhealthy to others (although we know how much health improves by losing so much weight!).

Personally, I am ready to have this problem instead of feeling so big next to everyone else :smile1:

Lydia - we are practically neighbors! Did you have your surgery locally?

You are right down the street from me...I am just up Hwy. 9!!!!!!!!! By Cathcart!

I did not do local...I went to Mexico...Dr Aceves. Best surgeon I have ever had......:)

its like you cant win either way!!! You look beautiful so just ignore all the haters. You have worked hard to get where you are. Remember the sleeve is just a tool and you did the rest! I know im not alone in this, i would rather people say i was too skinny than too fat. My best friend is super skinny and she hears that stuff everyday, its usually from the girls whos guys are checking her out!

Exactly what I think on the girls/ guy thing too........it's really sad though because they don't know me...I have been married for 26 years since I was 16 years old......come on now...and I am a grandma too!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had this issue yet because i still have quite a ways to go, however i have been getting a lot more attention lately because I have lost 103 so far and it is i guess pretty noticeable now.

I'm not sure how i feel about the attention it has all been positive so far. I had a woman in the cafeteria turn to me in line and say "congratulations!!" and I looked at her with a puzzled look on my face.....then she says "on your weight loss, so and so, told me how great you have been doing, you look great." so i said thank you, so i guess some people are talking about it.

Most people don't know i had surgery, so i am sure there would be other talking going on if they knew that. I hope the comments remain positive as i continue to lose.

I want to b called skinny like I was In high school I was size 0 n now I'm size 2x

Luvin, People wouldn't be so jealous if you weren't so cute. Hold your head high and try to let it roll off your back. I think we just have to take it in stride and be grateful we are not the ones green with envy.

Ever hear the saying "Damned if you do, damned if you don't"? Yeah, this is THAT situation. I still have a little bit to go before goal but I get that too, "you need to stop losing weight" "you're getting too skinny" Skinny? Really? I agree that sometimes they can't really "see" you this way and think something has GOT to be wrong because they are so used to seeing you obese. That is their problem, not mine. Obese women hate me now, one woman in my office won't even talk to me anymore, I think they think I betrayed them in a way, and skinny women see us as a threat. Again, their problem, not mine LOL. I also wonder where anyone gets the gall to talk about my weight without me mentioning it? They wouldn't talk about it to me when I was fat, what makes them think its ok when I am "skinny"? Other than a family member I have never been told "You are getting too fat". Ignorance should be painful, not bliss my friends.

I guess because i'm REALLY tall (6') with REALLY large bones, I don't look skinny, but just right at 200 lbs. What I do get however is when we have a luncheon or something at work, the overweight people who have seen me loose this weight ALWAYS say "are you sure you can eat that?" :"Are you ALLOWED to eat that" Get the F>>K off my a$$ because I sure as heck didn't get here with y'all telling ME what or what not to eat! So today is our thanksgiving luncheon, I won't be able to sit with the group without them all staring at what i'm eating or being questioned about it after 2 years! Get over it. . . yes, I'm having a bad day today. . . sorry but had to get that off my back. . . .

THANK YOU for sharing this. I never considered that this could be possible and it is a really scary thing to think that people can be such a$$holes... The more I think about it the more I realize that this is going to be something that most of us are going to have to face soon. It's funny, because before surgery all you can think about are all the AWESOME ways this surgery will affect your life and you never once stop to think that the people you have to live around can ruin the happiness like that.

Keep your head up, be proud, and keep rockin' your new, hot, little body!!!

Hi-

The other side of this coin is that society in general is so much more overweight that a healthy weight really seems small in comparison. I remember in my third month after surgery and I really did look sick - I was 30 pounds heavier, but I had that grey skin thing going on and my face / neck skin was hanging off of me. Now I look much more healthy, but still get comments about "wasting away".

I have to say, though, I get a LOT of positive feedback. I do get annoyed with other people always bugging me about not eating very much. Also, the couple of people that know aboutt he surgery always asking "can you eat that?!?!?" But they do it from a good place.

You have done fantasticaly well. Keep your head up.