Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Us your Story!

Hi Nicole O!

That would be amazing to walk chavez together!! Where are you in Laveen. I am by 23rd ave and baseline so it is Phoenix by a mile. I would love to do support groups with you too. I am not required to go to Mesa for the group meetings. I would go to them if they were closer. It would be nice to know someone going. I also have aetna. Send me a message and we should exchange numbers or emails.

Hello all, my name is Diane and I live in Payson. I am scheduled for surgery on March 30th with Rob Schuster.. I work for Banner so it is my only choice, but I feel extremely confident in the Banner Bariatric Program. I have been overweight for 20 years, with a lot of yoyo dieting. As a healthcare professional, I know it is only a matter of time until I develop diabetes (as it does run in my family) I also have sleep apnea, and would love to get rid of the CPAP machine!! Looking forward to this journey as it has been a long time coming....

Hi My name is Kathy

Live in Tucson,have lived here for 30 years.I am 53,single and have 3 children.I originally started this process about 3 years ago,and my insurance intially turned it down and I blew it off as I had other things going on at the time that were more important.Last year I decided to try again as I found out I am to have another grandson this May.I started out at 353lbs and I am 5ft1 inch.I was originally going to have a lapband,because the down time was really short,so I was seeing the surgeon doing all the nutrition visits withe the dietician and the surgeon decided to close up practice and move up to Phx.,His office sends my file to another dr, DRS Monash and Welle,which was the best thing that could have happened to me! After seeing Dr Welle and he described in detail all 3 surgeries I decided the VGS was the one I wanted,They submitted my claim to my ins.and it was approved the same day in a few hrs! I was estatic! I had my surgery on the 20of March and had my first post op yesterday,19lbs down. And Drs monash and Welle also have a supportgroup once a month that meets at TMC the first sat of the month from 1030-12 and there is a free Zumba class at the end.Any one can come regardless of what surgery they had and doesnt matter who did the surgery.Everyone is WELCOME

Surgery went well on Friday, Dr Schuster and the team at Banner Gateway were wonderful. I only spent one night in the hospital, the nausea the first night was terrible!! It turned on a dime at about 3 am (24 hrs ago) and I haven't been in much discomfort since then. Starting "Bari-fulls" today, but I can honestly say that I am not hungry.

Well, things are going well, still off of work but feeling stronger every day. See the surgeon on Friday, I assume he will okay me to go back to work on Monday. Have been getting in most of my Protein and Water, a little tired of "Bari-fulls" Have been walking, not as much as I would like but trying to get out everyday. So far the scale shows a continued weight loss, and clothes are starting to get loose. I can tell that I can get more in than I did a week ago, must be that the sleeve is becoming less swollen..So far, so good!

Hi, everyone!

I am on my way to be sleeved, presently in my six-month supervised exercise period (per insurance), and I selected Dr. David Podkameni as my surgeon. I had a good experience in my initial consultation. If all goes well, I should be sleeved sometime in November. So far, so good!

Amy

So happy to find others here in the Valley of the Sun! I am both new to the Valley and this board. I have started all my prereqs for having the sleeve surgery. I will be done with all but my nutrition and PCP visits this week. I have 2 more months of those visits before we send in the paperwork for my insurance to give authorization. The plan is to have my surgery sometime last August or early September....all depends on that authorization time. At this time I think my son is going to be coming in from Chicago to stay with me for a few days, if he can't I will have to ask a couple of neighbors to watch my dogs for the overnight stay and then another neighbor to bring to and home from the hospital. I am nervous but very excited to start on this new journey. I am going thru Bridges and will be using Dr. Fang. I am so impressed with him and liked him very much at my consult last week.

Peg

Hi everyone.

I have completed all the prerequisites for my surgery. I have even been approved by insurance. (United Healthcare) I am using Banner Gateway Dr Podkameni. I do not have a surgery date yet. I am having to get my A1C down and I just got treated for H. Pylori. I really love the staff @ Banner Gaetway and they are so supportive. They have really made this journey better than expected. They have helped me not give up when I got the bad news about my A1C and H. Pylori. I was ready to say skip all this and I'll just die fat. They wouldn't let me keep that crappy attitude and have stood by me and ecouraged me every step of the way. I am really looking forward to having this surgery and starting my new life. Hopefully my set of test in Sept will show everything is where it needs to be.

Hi everyone.

I have completed all the prerequisites for my surgery. I have even been approved by insurance. (United Healthcare) I am using Banner Gateway Dr Podkameni. I do not have a surgery date yet. I am having to get my A1C down and I just got treated for H. Pylori. I really love the staff @ Banner Gaetway and they are so supportive. They have really made this journey better than expected. They have helped me not give up when I got the bad news about my A1C and H. Pylori. I was ready to say skip all this and I'll just die fat. They wouldn't let me keep that crappy attitude and have stood by me and ecouraged me every step of the way. I am really looking forward to having this surgery and starting my new life. Hopefully my set of test in Sept will show everything is where it needs to be.

I got all my test results back and I am scheduled for 10/1. I am hating this pre op diet, but it will be worth it in the end.

I had my Sleeve on August 1st and and happy with the results thus far. I have no regrets and my main goal is to live long enough to Celebrate being married for 50 years (10 down and 40 to go). I truly believe this surgery is what will make my goal a reality.

Hi Kathy,

I'm in Tucson also. Had my surgery on May 13, 2014 in Mexico as my insurance wouldn't cover it. I am 64 and live Northwest. I would love a buddy.