Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol? Carbonated bevs?

I'm still in the beginning stages of this journey, but I've met with my surgeon at a round table info meeting, and I've been reading through these forums when i can...and I've decided it's definitely what i want to do. I just have a few specific questions re: food post op-

1. What (if any) alcohol consumption is allowed? Will i ever be able to go wine tasting again? Or have a martini on a night out?

2. Are carbonated bevs allowed? I'm a fan of diet soda, but i coukd live without it if need be...just curious.

3. Are there any other "never again" foods/drinks post op?

Thanks for your help :)

I'm still in the beginning stages of this journey, but I've met with my surgeon at a round table info meeting, and I've been reading through these forums when i can...and I've decided it's definitely what i want to do. I just have a few specific questions re: food post op-

1. What (if any) alcohol consumption is allowed? Will i ever be able to go wine tasting again? Or have a martini on a night out?

2. Are carbonated bevs allowed? I'm a fan of diet soda, but i coukd live without it if need be...just curious.

There is never a 100% no to any food but carbonated beverages seems to be very hard to tolerate because of the bloated feeling after drinking them... this goes for beer also, you should be able to have alcohol if you want i dont see why not?

Up at the top of the forum; Type in the little search box "Soda" and "alcoholic beverages". . . I'd type out my usual response and if you have issues finding topics I'll come back and post some links, but there's 100s of topics on here regarding this 2 subjects. It depends on what your surgeon mainly. BUT, I drink alcohol (not now in my pregnancy), and I've drank soda for 18 months with zero issues with weight regain and/or change in my sleeve capacity. There are varying opinions on soda/alcohol, you'll have to decide how you want to manage that post-op. I didn't have either in my losing stage.

Thanks for the info! I'm on an iPad, so i think I'm on the "mobile" version of the site, and don't have a search box for some reason :) ill get on my laptop and go through all the archives on the topic. Thanks again!

Tiffykins how long ago did you have surgery if you don't mind me asking

26 months ago, June 3, 2009 was my date for band to VSG revision. I had the band placed October 2008, and had been researching, reading, absorbing everything I could since early 2007.

I started drinking week two. I drink four to six glasses of scotch a night. I love the sleeve I get drunk so much sooner.

I started drinking week two. I drink four to six glasses of scotch a night. I love the sleeve I get drunk so much sooner.

Really? How far out are you? Did you drink this much pre-surgery? If not, you might have traded alcohol for food and that can be very serious. Even if you did, do you really think it's worth all the empty calories?

Please don't take this wrong - I don't know you or your circumstances. But, you might want to consider talking to someone ... Normally, any more than 7 drinks a week on a consistent basis is a warning sign for alcoholism.

I would avoid soda if you can. I blame diet coke at least partly for my regain and sleeve stretch. Should I say, I blame MY CONSUMPTION of diet coke!!

My first year I was fine, but after that I even drank it with meals, which is a HUGE no no.

for the BEST results the docs say cut out liquor and carbonated beverages out your diet because liquor is just empty calories and carbonated beverages give you a bloated feeling.

When you get the sleeve during your weight loss journey youre not able to consume as much food as your body needs, so your Dr breaks it down to percentages which involves Water, Protein, carbons, Vitamins and other necessary nutrients.

If you fill ya now small stomach with liquor, you rob your stomach of the space it needs to consume the daily necessities to function on the strict diet implemented by your Dr. You basically decreasing your weight loss results, but once your body is stable in terms of weight, you can resume your drinking activities (be advised though, when you came in for the surgery you wanted to reform your eating habits, so try not to revert back into pass eating habits or you may end up gaining all that weight back and going through all that hard work for nothing).

Carbonated beverages are also empty calories and fill up your smaller stomach with air space cause you to be bloated and deprives your body for necessities as far as food intake. Plus in the early stages of the surgery you DONT want to stretch the stomach seeing that it has already been through a severe amount of trauma as it is.

SO the answer to your question is no there are no NEVER AGAIN foods

Everything should be taken in moderation, period...