Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

I have some of the same issues... I will wake up coughing and sometime burping up something, or vomiting. I have had to keep a bucket next to my bed at times. When there is less Fluid in my band I don't have has big an issue, but I know what you are going through.

I have had problems with reflux.

Banded - September 4, 2008

Reflux - Yes

Gallbladder - not removed

Prevention - try not to allow your fills to be too tight. Do not lie down immediately after eating.

I am having a lot of these symptoms and didn't really know what it was or why it was going on. Like some posters, I have taken to sleeping almost sitting up and trying to avoid eating/drinking any time near bed time. I've been eating Pepcid AC every day for about a month now and can feel that things are irritated. I wake up every once in a while coughing on acid. Wow, that hurts and is scary. I think my solution is likely going to be an unfill for a while and am calling the doctor TODAY after reading all these posts. I wasn't really clued in to what this was...

Getting close to goal, so I hate to slow down even more, but this is really quite untolerable and the pain just isn't right.

Stephanie

Banded 11/06

240/159/150

I've been banded almost a year and have been dealing with reflux since Jan. A 1cc unfill for 6 weeks took care of it. I got another fill a couple of weeks ago and it started again. Wanting to keep this fill and start losing again, I've made significant lifestyle changes which does control it.

I don't eat after 5pm or I get reflux. I don't drink after 7pm or I get reflux. I try and eat denser food earlier in the day and eat lightly for dinner. I take Prevacid and avoid alcohol.

I figure this is temporary until I get to goal and can get an unfill.

Susan

Banded 7/25/05

237/169/135

HI Stephanie,

I know what you are going through, pretty terrible... I went through this for a long time... had my band almost emptied and all symptoms disappeared... problem is, I am putting the weight back on and am nearly back to square one.... can;'t win! Doctor was a little angry and simply said, "you don;t need to band to loose weight, you could just exercise and control yourself" ! Well, I guess that's true, but that's why I had the band fitted in the first place. My metabolism is in disarray and even with samll amounts of food, i put on weight... I have to keep to very low calorie intakes to keep weight at bay...

All the best with it all!

Makana

PLEASE only vote if youve been banded 6 months or longer.

Ive noticed that there have been in increasing number of bandsters having Reflux/Gerd problems. This may be a more commen problem in post banding then what our surgeons are aware of.

I am 55 and banded in 2005. When I have a fill I suffer horribly with reflux. I had just recently been prescribed with RX for reflux and it worked great but my fill seemed to disappear. I have not been able to have it checked yet but do not feel any restriction at all anymore. :)

Obesity often causes reflux and I think the combination of obesity and a too tight band is a sure way to get it. Just a tight band alone can cause it. It's always better IMO to keep the band as loose as one can and still make the band work. Others are just prone to get reflux no matter what they do.

I've been banded 1yr 4mos. Recently started having horrible gerd/reflux. I already take Nexium to control this but it was getting worse. I ended up in the hosp last week because pain was so bad I thought it was cardiac chest pain. Turns out band was too tight and esophagus was irritated and having spasms. Please listen to your body. I felt like something wasn't right for awhile due to a lot of PBing and discomfort but I kept putting it off. My band had to be emptied and now I have to start over after everything is calmed down.

I think anyone who, like me, was having problems with the band should listen to their body. Instead of believing what my body was telling me, I allowed myself to be chastised for "eating too fast," "not chewing enough," "eating stuff that you shouldn't" (i.e., steak), etc. So I spent two years throwing up on a regular basis until I started throwing up in my sleep. EVEN THEN I was told to stop drinking 3 hours before bedtime, stop eating before bedtime, etc. So like a good sheep, I did.

Come to find out, I had too small of a band on my stomach (I had a 4cc). That my stomach was very sensitive to the tight cinch, and any fill would cause it to swell in irritation. Plus I had a hiatal hernia that they NOW know must be fixed before a band goes on. When the surgeon found out, he asked why I didn't ask for an appointment with him. I don't know, maybe I was thinking the fill nurse knew better than me?

So, don't let people tell you that it's normal to throw up, that you're not chewing your food enough (if you are actually chewing it to mush already), and that you're talking while eating. If you've got acid reflux and you're throwing up after a fill, you need some help -- make an appt with the surgeon, NOT the fill nurse.

I've been banded 1yr 4mos. Recently started having horrible gerd/reflux. I already take Nexium to control this but it was getting worse. I ended up in the hosp last week because pain was so bad I thought it was cardiac chest pain. Turns out band was too tight and esophagus was irritated and having spasms. Please listen to your body. I felt like something wasn't right for awhile due to a lot of PBing and discomfort but I kept putting it off. My band had to be emptied and now I have to start over after everything is calmed down.

I keep saying that the majority of people who have problems with reflux, gerd, and end up with band problems are keeping their band too tight. It should not hurt to eat and PB's should be the exception not the rule. Night time problems should send a person quickly for a slight unfill.

age at banding 37

gall bladder out at 34

Terrible reflux until banded and then it went completely as soon as I was banded

4yrs on band leakage - first sign was return of reflux.

I've had my band for 8 years and it worked great for the first 5. About 3 years ago I started to not be able to tolerate fills and was unfilled for almost 2 years and gained almost all of my weight back. I've had a small fill for a year and half but have developed severe GERD. I'm currently going through the process to convert to bypass.

I've had my band for 8 years and it worked great for the first 5. About 3 years ago I started to not be able to tolerate fills and was unfilled for almost 2 years and gained almost all of my weight back. I've had a small fill for a year and half but have developed severe GERD. I'm currently going through the process to convert to bypass.

Same happened to me... do you think there may be any chance of gaining the weight back with the bypass? All the best with your operation!

:wink2:

I have had increasingly troublesome stomach issues for the last year (I've been banded for almost 2 1/2 years), and now have reflux which troubles me night and day. I know about which foods to avoid (tomatoes, caffeine, cirtic acid) not eating after 6 p.m. and sleeping with my head and torso propped up. Those are the only anti-reflux tips I have to share. But I'd sure like to hear some others. This sucks.

I developed reflux for the first time in my life after my fourth fill (never had my gall bladder removed). It was never a problem at night nor did I develop any more tightness (both red flags that you should go for a slight unfill). I was also developing a UTI (unrelated) at the same time so I was drinking gallons of cranberry juice (VERY acidic so it probably added to this). I started the Nexium right away (I've read it has a healing rate of 90% in 9 weeks if you take it right away). Nexium or any PPI isn't something you want to be taking long term as they shut down all your digestive acids completely. I've stopped them now (after 9 weeks), but still have a little relux that I'm treating with Tums and Papya Enzymes...I've got Pepcid in case I need it. There was a study that came out this year that showed that those on a PPI developed an over-production of acid when stopping a PPI (even with people who didn't have reflux to begin with) so make sure you use something else for awhile if you're stopping a PPI. I'm hoping this resolves itself soon. Oh, and people should know that reflux sometimes presents ONLY as a 'lump in the throat' feeling with no burning, but sometimes both. Reflux is supposed to be THE most common side-effect of banding...I believe it. It's something to be watched closely as you don't want to develop much worse esophagus problems...even cancer. Best wishes all. -BG

I have been banded for 6 1/2 years. I developed bad reflux right around the 6 month point. Just recently I discovered that if I follow the basic lap band instructions of not drinking while I eat (and for at least 1-2 hrs after meals), my heartburn/reflux is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. And I've lost 7 lbs. :w00t: in 10 days.