Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

After your reply, I went back in and reread what i wrote and thought that could sound misleading....

The P.A. who is fairly new to this office, said that with the use of the xray machine and the barium swallow, that for every 1-2 patients that he gives a fill, there are prob. 4-5 patients that he see that really are to full and really need either an unfill or a band holiday.

But of course we (namely I) didn't want to hear that....it was disappointing not to get a fill after paying my co-pay....but I have done what he suggested, and after a 3 wk band holiday, i'm not eating soft foods....so far, so good....but I tell you I still find no restriction...only me saying enough is enough....nothing physically nudging me to say that is enough....and for me, head hunger is a hard thing to deal with:ohmy:

Ok, That makes more sense. I guess it's good that I have to pay for my fills which kept me from getting many. I think many people just keep getting them because they are covered by insurance and often they are not needed and that is what starts their problems

I have to pay for my refills, although insurance covers some of the rate. And to me it is still not cheap....I started to ask them to just save off my Fluid (from the band holiday), I would just reuse it for a cheaper rate...lol...I was really a little upset when I went in for a fill and the first time I pd the rate for them to take it out....then I went in for a fill 2 wks later for him to say, no fill, instead wait and come back....so that was another co-pay....this time he did give me the fill, but only the 2.5ccs

I just started seeing a chiropractor for some neck pains....and it was funny that with my case he said that it could affect my esophagus....I asked how, he said it could render it inactive, not helping to push down the food into the stomach. So hopefully I will see some improvement with my lazy esophagus.

Over the past 4 days I have been doing good, but again, I'm stopping the eating because I'm trying to do right....but it is not at all because I'm restricted by the band.

How much are your co-pays? I had to pay $370 for my first two fills and $265 for any after that so I am very hesitant to go back!!!!!! Thankfully I was able to lose the weight without many fills.

This is a great converstation...I have started having reflux just in the last month...It is totally my fault...I started vomiting when I would get "stuck" instead of waiting for my body to pb. I get stuck about twice a month, but that is enough acid to hurt the throat. I would not even be posting if it were not for a very painful sore throat. I am not too full becuase I can eat more than enough, but may have streched the esophgus out. I am going to see if I can make it better on my own, now that I know what is going on....I only have reflux after vomiting, and I only vomit when I eat to fast or don't chew well. I may invest in some otc reflux meds also. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

sorry to hear about your reflux and esophagus - but good to hear that I am not the only one going through this

I never had reflux until 3 months ago as of now I have a full unfill because my esophagus was stretched

I am trying to keep positive with all this weight gain since I hope this is only temporary

I have finally found the thread that is addressing my issues. Thank you everyone. I am going to call for a refil. I have had reflux issues and am on a band holiday for going on 3 wks. I had tests and all looks well so it is behavioral to a large degree. I am making appointments tomorrow with a dietitian and hopefully can get back on track. I will be rechecking this thread soon. Thanks

For those with reflux - did you have a hernia repair with your banding? I had mild-but-worsening reflux before banding and the doctor repaired it...he always checks and reapirs if necessary. Also had recurring hiccups. Since banding reflux and hiccupping are gone. So far so good...only 2 months though.

I'm not sure if this is reflux and I definately need input, I've been banded since September 2008 and lately I've experienced this awful problem, once I lay down to sleep at night, I either wake up gagging and coughling from something (reflux?) or I wake up because as I call it I'm vomiting out my nose, it's pretty starling to wake up this way, and the past two nights it happens every 15-minutes to 1/2 hours, sometimes shorter periods of time. It used to happen once in a while, so I don't know what's going on, I haven't been tightened since Sept 09. Any thoughts? I need help on this one!

It sounds like it might be reflux. My doc told me that sometimes the band tightens on its own, even without a fill, so you should get it checked. Don't let it go too long, you can cause damage to your esophagus.

I'm not sure if this is reflux and I definately need input, I've been banded since September 2008 and lately I've experienced this awful problem, once I lay down to sleep at night, I either wake up gagging and coughling from something (reflux?) or I wake up because as I call it I'm vomiting out my nose, it's pretty starling to wake up this way, and the past two nights it happens every 15-minutes to 1/2 hours, sometimes shorter periods of time. It used to happen once in a while, so I don't know what's going on, I haven't been tightened since Sept 09. Any thoughts? I need help on this one!

This is defnitely reflux and you need a small unfill (get it done NOW before you need a complete unfill). Problems with reflux at NIGHT is a RED FLAG that you are too tight (coughing, gagging, vomiting, burning, any of these when you lay down, especially if it's been a few hours since you've eaten dinner). If you have mild reflux during the day only, then they can treat it with a PPI (I take daily Nexium), but problems at night means it's too severe and you're just too tight. Get in for a little unfill before you cause more serious problems. Best wishes! -BG

I agree that you should go to the doctor right away I didnt and now I have a full unfill - which is causing me to gain weight - since I can eat so much more and am starving - zero restriction

The reason for the unfill is that my esophagus became enlarged

I ahve been banded since September 2007 and i cannot tell you how many times I ahve had this problem. My band gets too tight I get reflux, over and over again, filled and un filled now today the new Dr. said my band slipped and that I have a mega esophagus, well how does he know he has not ran any tests on me. He said I needed to have surgery a revision, she said I could die if my esophagus ruptures. He said that he will only fill me but it will be up to the origianl Dr. to operate on me. Scared well yes I am but I have calmed down since this morning. This Dr. only does banding and sleeves. Do you think he is looking to make a buck on me or what? I don't even know if my federal Health Plan BC/BS will cover a revision or not/ I ahve lost 100 plus pounds but still considered obese due to my height and weight I am 5 2 and weigh in at 180 pounds but I can wear a size 10/12 so in that area I am whereI want to be. I ahve not lost any weight since May 2008 I have maintained my weight. I ahve had say 6 or more barium Upper GI's since I was banded and nothing but problems. HELP

I ahve been banded since September 2007 and i cannot tell you how many times I ahve had this problem. My band gets too tight I get reflux, over and over again, filled and un filled now today the new Dr. said my band slipped and that I have a mega esophagus, well how does he know he has not ran any tests on me. He said I needed to have surgery a revision, she said I could die if my esophagus ruptures. He said that he will only fill me but it will be up to the origianl Dr. to operate on me. Scared well yes I am but I have calmed down since this morning. This Dr. only does banding and sleeves. Do you think he is looking to make a buck on me or what? I don't even know if my federal Health Plan BC/BS will cover a revision or not/ I ahve lost 100 plus pounds but still considered obese due to my height and weight I am 5 2 and weigh in at 180 pounds but I can wear a size 10/12 so in that area I am whereI want to be. I ahve not lost any weight since May 2008 I have maintained my weight. I ahve had say 6 or more barium Upper GI's since I was banded and nothing but problems. HELP

He says you have a slip, but did NO tests? How can he know this? Were any of the Barium GI's recently and did they show the enlarged esophagus or the slip?

Usually with either of these, depending on the severity they will try a complete unfill...sometimes the esophagus shrinks back, sometimes the stomach slips back into place without surgery (most Docs seem to do the unfill for about 6 weeks then take another test to see). Did they look for a hernia causing the reflux? Have they tried putting you on a PPI med?

I think that hind sight is 20/20 and if I knew what I knew now I would have gone to Dr. after the first round of reflux. I had never, ever had reflux before which should have been a clue. I don't know what to say if you have had an upper gi and they show no sign of slippage. My Dr. did say that I

have to have it fixed. I am going to put it off to enjoy as much of summer and Water sports as possible. I have heard alot about people gaining weight. I am not too worried about that right now. I am way to afraid to eat solid food, that being said I can make just about any meal into a mushie/soupy meal that I do not have to chew. I hope I still know how to chew by the time I eat solid again.....:frown:

I am scheduled at 11:00 am for a refill. I have had fill out for about 6 weeks. I am hoping to get back on track. I need to be very careful after the fill, mostly to not over eat and to chew enough. Wish me luck.