Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can honestly say that the first two weeks have been hard. It gets better day by day. However, to be honest, I have had lots of regrets during this first period. What the hell have I done to myself? I paid what to torture myself? You could've done it without this! Wow! What a mind game we play. I try to keep reminding myself of the reasons I had prior to surgery that led me on this journey. I wish I would have written all those reasons down so I could go back and remind myself. It does get better every day! It is a major life changing experience. Be prepared for it. It will hit you like a ton of bricks! Sorry for the negative, but I searched this forum high and low for the negative before my surgery and I found none. I wish someone would have told me the first two weeks were hell! Of course, I probably would have blocked it out since I was convinced this was the way to go. Good Luck! I wish you well. I look forward to the day that I can say that my only regret was not having it sooner.

I felt just like this but it does get better every day.

I only had a bad time the first three days post-op, which sucked heartily. But ever since then, I've felt just grand. I can eat normal foods just fine, haven't thrown up or had any pain to speak of since that first post-op 72 hours. So six weeks out, I think it's just great.

At over a year out, still not a single regret. Most days I barely remember that I had surgery because it's so normal now. I do want to warn you however that it's perfectly normal to have extreme regret the first day or two, but that will go away, so don't feel like you're alone when you feel it. I think we all went through that.

Good luck!

While I am happy with my choice to have the surgery, I should warn you that if you have any perfectionism issues they will likely crop up a bit. I am still dealing with regrets/remorse that I wasn't able to do this on my own without surgery. It's feels a little like failure and as a lifelong perfectionist that's a little difficult to manage. I work a lot with reframing right now. I try to remember that allowing myself to stay heavy when I had a viable solution would be failure. At 5 weeks out, I am much more at peace with my decision and any sense of failure I may have - but it's there. I just wanted to point this out as something to be aware of so you can be ready for it if you deal with perfectionist issues as well. :)

As for the surgery itself, the weightloss and the lifestyle? No. No regrets. It was the right decision for me.

WOW, i think you summarized exactly what I feel...i am a perfectionist who was raised by a perfectionist...and I think my mom feels like failure as a mother not only because I am obese, but now because I am "taking the easy way out". I definitely had to resolve those issues, by doing this to satisy me even if it displeased my mother, because essentially, if I was to eventually become sick I have no one to blame but myself.

Hello Rootman. I am a newby at this and I'm trying to get a mans view on all of this. I am scheduled for June 10th. How aggrivating was it for you between your Dr's consultation and the actual surgery?

Is there anyone that can give this newby a little insight on the waiting period between consultation and actual surgery? I can't wait.

I really don't think major surgery to have 85% of your stomach removed is "taking the easy way out" - do you, really? Most of us have tried years and years of the other ways, I personally think popping a pill is the 'easiest' way, it just doesn't work, not for long and it screws us up I think. I blame the pills partly for landing me in Dr. Wonderful's waiting room, but that's neither here nor there.....I don't think it's the easy way out, that's just my humble opinion.

WOW, i think you summarized exactly what I feel...i am a perfectionist who was raised by a perfectionist...and I think my mom feels like failure as a mother not only because I am obese, but now because I am "taking the easy way out". I definitely had to resolve those issues, by doing this to satisy me even if it displeased my mother, because essentially, if I was to eventually become sick I have no one to blame but myself.

Hi Samantha-

The research is really interesting with perfectionism and obesity. A key attribute of some forms of perfectionism is that the sufferer will purposely not try on anything they believe there is a chance they may fail. Because of that, perfectionists who struggle with weight issues will often remain overweight... if you aren't really trying then you aren't really failing.

If you are interested in reading about perfectionism and ways to overcome its effects, a great book is Too Perfect: When Being In Control Gets Out of Control by Allan E. Mallinger, M.D. and Jeannette DeWyze. I learned so much from this book. It really helped explain some of my silly hang ups that I never would have contributed to perfectionism. I think having read it has really helped me on this side of surgery. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!

Amanda

No regrets AT ALL!! band to sleeve revision & I'm 16 months post op. Wish I would have gotten it sooner!!

Hi, Dr Zapata put my lapband in back in 2007. It now needs to come out due to a slipped band. I am considering going back to Dr Zapata. Can you tell me what the cost was to have the revision? Did he require an endoscopy?

Also does the sleeve cause you any heartburn?

Thanks

MY only regret was having the lap band first. If I would have waited I could have had ONE surgery, (instead of 3).

I am very happy with my choice. I don't feel different from others. I can eat socially and I LOVE not beging hungry all the time.

Four weeks out yesterday. It was a rough first 2 weeks post-op, but I have NO REGRETS!! It is difficult at times trying to figure out my new tummy's limits, but it is just a learning curve. :rolleyes:

Ultimately, no regrets at all. That is not to say, however, that it has been a complete walk in the park. The first six weeks were more than a little tough as I learned a new way of life with respect to eating and food. Although I expected that there would be a physical adjustment to learning to eat a lot less food, I don't think I was adequately prepared for the psychological adjustment. In the weeks and months following the surgery, I had to come to terms with the fact that many times I was eating out of lonlieness, boredom, sadness, anger, frustration, etc. After the surgery, I had to learn how to deal with those emotions without my drug of choice -- food. The good news is that as the weight begins to drop off (and it will) those feelings were easier to cope with and handle.

Today, eight months after my surgery, I can say without a moment's hesitation that this surgery was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

Good luck to you.

Brian

I regret doing this to myself everyday!!! I had my surgery march 9 and has had acid issues every since and I can tell you it ain't no joke it is horrible.... I feel like I can spit fire .... But on the bright side I have lost 40 lbs

Yes I have had regrets, I do believe one day though I will look back and be thrilled with my choice. I have lost quite a bit already and am only 7 weeks out. However I have had complications that landed me in the hospital for 12 days, I actually just got out yesterday. There is also that part of me that is still angry that I could not just lose the weight on my own without surgery. But I am still new to the sleeve and like I said I think months down the road it will be worth it when I am wearing non-fat girl clothes, when Im healthier, when I'm not so worn down. Right now my body is very tired and I am feeling the affects of it in a major way.

The compilcations are rare and really took me by surprise. I was a really good candidate for the sleeve, being in my 20s, done having kids, starting out relatively low on the weight side compared to most WLS patients, I had no co-morbidities other than sleep apnea yet I still struggled and ended up hospitalized. Its a scary situation to be in and thank God it was not as bad as others I have seen.

Just make sure you are really ready for this surgery and the possibilities of complications.