Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SMMC LB support group chicas

I am back at home and feeling much better. I had my second surgery today where Dr. H cut off a bit more of my fat pad to loosen the tightness and take away all the nausea and vomiting. He was skilled, kind, and compassionate. Now I am experiencing a regular recuperation with incision discomfort and gas, but what a welcome change!!! Thanks for all of the support!

Thanks for sharing about your experience. Does it hurt inside where Dr. H. cut out the pad? Glad to hear you are finally on the mend!

I am just feeling regular incision pain from the port sight and other places of entry, but not anything more from the fat pad. Cutting the fat pad has brought nothing but relief!

Erika, I am so glad to hear you are feeling better after having the 2nd surgery, it will only get better!!

I will be going back to work on Monday, and I'm glad that I've had this 2 1/2 weeks off from work to get back to where I would say that I feel somewhat normal. I have a clerical job but have found that I've been very tired and am just now regaining some energy, thanks in part, I think to the fact that I'm remembering to take my Vitamins daily. I still have a hard time remembering to take all of them, but I think the vitamins and walking are helping me to build up my stamina. So remember to walk, walk, walk when you start to feel up to it.

Not sure I want to go back to any support meeting. Last one I was at SOMEONE WHO WILL REMAIN NAMELESS, very much embarrassed me, when I was trying to be honest with the group. I didnt ask for her critique, I was making an honest statement.

Not sure I want to go back to any support meeting. Last one I was at SOMEONE WHO WILL REMAIN NAMELESS, very much embarrassed me, when I was trying to be honest with the group. I didnt ask for her critique, I was making an honest statement.

I am so sorry you had a bad experience at group. Support can be so important on our journey. Sadly I don't attend the SMMC groups any longer either. But on a positive note at least you will always have us out here on LBT.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the last support meeting. Not sure which meeting you attended, since I've only attended the meetings at SMMC, I don't think I said anything that would have offended anyone, but if I'm the one you're talking about, I apologize.

So far I've had only positive things to say about the SMMC support meetings, other than the fact that group has gotten so big I don't have any problems.

Ghost now that I'm 3 weeks out and feeling much better, I might be able to attend the other groups you told us about, when do they meet next, I'm going to try to attend, if I'm free.

The next KCBandsters meeting is Monday, April 21st. at

We meet from 6:45-8:45 pm in the meeting room at the Antioch Library in Merriam, KS. The library is on the corner of Shawnee Mission Parkway and Antioch just east of I-35 and Shawnee Mission Parkway.

When you come into the library entrance turn right towards the library check out desk then at the desk turn left. The meeting room will be along the left wall when looking away from the desk. (Or just ask at the desk and they can point you to the right room)

Hope to see you there.

The docs meetings can be great and I'm really not trying to knock them. But as someone mentioned they really have started to become too large. The KCBandsters group usually has around a dozen people. Though once we had a local PS come talk and that night it was standing room only.

As far as critique's go. There is a big difference between an unsolicited and embarrassing critism of someone's honesty such as 2bethinagain received, and someone trying to give an equally honest response out of a heartfelt desire to support a fellow bandster. But I don't want to sugar coat things. Some of the members of the KCBandster group are rather opinionated and are not shy to give someone a loving kick in the rear when they need it. But these same people have also had the band and have needed and received their own kicks in the backside from the rest of us on many occasion.

KCBandster's isn't the end all, be all, of support groups but it does have a different feel to those run by docs and I'd love to see you guys come give us a try once if only to put some faces to your names.

Ghost, thanks, I've got it on my calendar and plan on coming this time since I don't have to depend on DH to drive me this time. Hope to see you then.

Thanks for the responses I have gotten. I understand the kick in the butt. But it can be done without totally embarrassing someone, we are all supposed to support each other. I will try to make one of the KCBandsters meetings although I cant make the 4-21 meeting.

Thanks for the responses I have gotten. I understand the kick in the butt. But it can be done without totally embarrassing someone, we are all supposed to support each other...

Exactly! Sometimes I just don't understand how insensitive others can be, especially when they have or are going through the same thing.

I had my nutritionist meeting today as well as my first psych appt. Both went well, and the nutritionist said she saw no reason not to move forward, and the doc told me he was recommending me for surgery. Yippee!

I do have to go back to the psych for a couple more pre-surgery visits to discuss progress with overall preparedness, and one post-op visit to check in. Have others had to do extra sessions?

The nutritionist really put my mind at ease over the pre and post op diets. It is not even close to the nightmares that some others have had to go through, thank goodness.:sad_smile:

Last I knew Dr. Hoehn/Hitchcock at SMMC were not taking on patients they didn't band and thier fee was $150 per fill.

Dr. Malley in Mission does take on other patients and his fee is $100 per fill.

There is another doctor in Olathe that I know took on at least one patient that he didn't band and his fee is only $50 per fill. However, the patient he took on was banded by the doctor that taught him the procedure in Denver so I don't know if it is his common practice to take outside patients or if she was an exception. I could ask her his name if you want to check it out.