Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SMMC LB support group chicas

Help! I know I saw somewhere a list compiled of tips for "pouch care and maintenance" after surgery...I have searched and searched this site and other internet sites, and I am going nuts trying to locate it. I remember it was a really helpful bit of information, and I am kicking myself for not printing it out when I stumbled across it months ago. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Lisa

Hey everyone. Lisa thanks for the photographer info. We are in contact and he may or maynot be able to do it. Right now I am in New Jersey for my cousin's wedding and am having trouble with not wanting to eat everything in site. All the rich Italian food that my family cooks or eats out at all these places. I am having trouble not wanting to just keep eating and eating. I made sure that I brought lots of Protein Shake mix and bars and nuts to snack on in the car (since we drove out here) and I made sure that I brought my magic bullet to make shakes. They are all eating really bad(my dad, and 2 brothers) and plus all my family is like "eat, why can't you eat that". It is really hard to keep telling them that I just can't, but they all see that I look good and are happy that I have lost so much.

I need some encouragement to keep going the good route and not eat all the bad.

Thanks all

Jeanette

Keep close in your mind and heart your own October wedding, and how beautiful you want to be in your wedding dress that fits perfectly, and how you want to look at you wedding photos for many years to come and smile because you looked and felt the very best you ever had, with no regrets from choices made in New Jersey.........

Stay strong girl, I know you can do it!

"Don't exchange what we want the MOST, for what we want in the MOMENT"

Thanks Lisa..I really needed that. I just got back to my hotel room and they wanted to go out to dinner again and I told them I am just going to stay here. I can't take anymore eating that they want to do so I sd I am removing myself from the situation. I have found that my cousin's wedding is going to be like that show "Platinum Weddings" on WEtv. I am going to look like a hick. It is supposed to be fancy gowns and I don't have one.

Talk to everyone soon

Jeanette

Jeanette,

I am in process for surgery at SMMC this fall (I hope!), and will be attending the support group in August. I've been lurking for week or so on this thread - I hope that is okay with all of you - but I figured that would be a good way to start getting acquainted. (kinda one-sided though)

I took the liberty of looking at your profile - and the picture of you and your handsome fiance. I hope while you are with your family you will keep one thing in mind. You have lost 110 pounds. You are only 40 pounds from your goal. You are a beautiful young woman AND YOU HAVE LOST 110 POUNDS! That is an amazing accomplishment and you can be very proud of yourself. I am sure no one at your cousin's wedding (incl your cousin!) can hold a candle to that. Go to the wedding, look beautiful, feel great, smile, and have fun. That is the choice you can make that you will not regret, and it won't cost you so much as a calorie!

Hi JoannMarie,

Welcome to the group! I'll look forward to meeting you at the Aug. support group. Excellent advice you gave Jeanette, you sound like a wise woman...

Take care, Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. I don't know about wise... I have a few years on you and Jeanette -- maybe that has "wised me up" a little (but just a little...). I am just amazed at the accomplishments of so many people on LBTalk. You are all inspiring to me. I am looking forward to meeting all of you at the next meeting.

Thank you Joann. I can't wait to meet you at the next meeting. Please seek me out so that I can give you a hug. I go to all the meetings. I also go to the one in the northland. I also go to the gastric because my finance had the gastric. The encouraging words are working. Everyone else is so busy for my cousin's wedding and last min. details that today I am being left alone. I am just relaxing in my hotel room at the moment and trying to think of something to do. I shopped yesterday and bought myself a bathing suit (yikes). I bought a cute two piece. By no means a bikini but something that was fitting. Couldn't find a size that really fit (still a little big) but it works for now.

I am just drinking my Protein Shakes for Breakfast and trying to have 1/2 a one for lunch with a little bit of meat and then dinners for the next few nights aren't until late and by that time I am ready for bed. This is all totally east coast fancy for this wedding. I am feeling all emotional. I miss everyone at home and I am the only girl out here besides my cousin who is getting married.

Thanks again Lisa and Joann. Can't wait for the next meeting.

Jeanette

Hang in there, Jeanette! I am really looking forward to meeting you, Lisa, and everyone else at the meeting later this month. At this point I don't have a date set (not even for my surgeon consultation), and waiting is a bummer. I want to come and meet everyone now so I have that requirement taken care of - and will have that extra support of local people as I go along.

Congratulations on your new swimsuit! The thought of shopping for a swimsuit right now sends shivers of dread up and down my spine. I hope to have more courage about that issue as I approach the kind of weight loss you have. You are giving me something to look forward to and that makes my wait easier.

See you soon!

Hey Jeanette,

Did you survive the wedding??? And the return road trip from Jersey?

I did one phone consult and one phone coaching session so far, and the nurse I am working with said we will do one more coaching this Friday and she will turn in the paperwork for final approval on my surgery. So Wed. the 20th is a go!

I have started telling people in my life now that I know for sure. I have received an overwhelmingly positive response to my big news.

I have been doing real well averaging my 10,000 steps per day, and I just got a Tai Chi video from the library to try. I am trying to figure out how to work on changing my body composition and increase muscle mass as the weight comes off, to help minimize loose skin. If anyone has some successful suggestions, please pass them on!

Hope you all have a great week, and try to stay cool! Lisa

Yes, I have made it home. The trip started out ok but ended on a sour note. I will have to tell you about it at the meeting. I didn't gain any weight but didn't lose. I am happy about that. as long as I stay or lose weight from here on out I am ok. I hope that I can lose like 20lbs before the wedding but I need a fill and can't afford it. I am trying to come up with the funds but with not working and paying for wedding things it is a struggle. Thanks for the support while on my trip. I was really having a hard time.

I am posting the website for RSVP one last time. This is an open invitation to all the lapbanders who have been a great support to me. I would love for you to come and share in my special day. Please get all info at www.unionofjnj.com and RSVP.

Thanks to all. Good luck next week Lisa

:) I am in the final countdown, seven days til surgery, and I have been reading all the literature and making a list of what to do in preparation. I am hoping that you all can share the things you did that were most helpful, as well as the things you wish you had done different.

I am planning a trip too Manna Nutrition to get my starter packs of Vitamins and supplements. I will stock up on the clear items for the days before and after surgery. I will go get a small spoon and fork, as well as small plate. I'll start the coughing and deep breathing exercises today.

Fill me in on what I may be forgetting, and what you would do different if you could turn back time....thanks for sharing your wisdom!:biggrin:

Lisa

I can't say that there is anything that I would do different on my post-op. I wore loose pj's around the house unless I had to go out. Most say to wear a comfortable sports bra. I couldn't wear one at all. I slept in my recliner because it was to hard to lay flat and get back up. Have a small pillow to hold against your stomach when getting up and down. Practice taking small sips of Water and not gulping. Start your walking the very next day. Get Gas-X strips, they help get rid of the excess gas that they pump into you. You will toot with the best for a few days. Have plenty of sugar free popcicles on hand. I can't think of anything else but if I do I will let you know.

Getting excited for you!!

Jeanette

I can't say that there is anything that I would do different on my post-op. I wore loose pj's around the house unless I had to go out. Most say to wear a comfortable sports bra. I couldn't wear one at all. I slept in my recliner because it was to hard to lay flat and get back up. Have a small pillow to hold against your stomach when getting up and down. Practice taking small sips of Water and not gulping. Start your walking the very next day. Get Gas-X strips, they help get rid of the excess gas that they pump into you. You will toot with the best for a few days. Have plenty of sugar free popcicles on hand. I can't think of anything else but if I do I will let you know.

Getting excited for you!!

Jeanette

Sounds like good advice, Jeanette. I took a look at your ticker - WOW. I'm going to be happy to take advice from you. You've lost 115 pounds! You are doing great. Glad you're back from NJ and in a more comfortable place for you. I'm looking forward to meeting you next week. I guess Lisa will be otherwise occupied that evening, but we will be thinking about her and wishing her a speedy recovery. :biggrin2:

I read on a message board that the incisions can be closed with glue instead of staples, and that others wish they would have known this prior to surgery to ask...does anyone know if this is true, and if it would be less painful but have the same results?

Thanks, Lisa