Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know, I know. I've said this before, but I thought by this time I would be over it. I'm not.

I'm still annoyed with not being able to eat. I don't really know how to describe it. The best way to say it is I don't feel like I'm enjoying food anymore. I know it's not going to be the same as pre-op when I could stuff myself to the gills with awesome food and that's okay. That's not my problem. My problem is a take 2 bites and I'm done but I've hardly even tasted the food. Am I making sense? I guess I just miss it.....

I'm not missing the volume of food I used to be able to eat or the fact that I can't grub on a delicious box from Taco Bell. For example, during lunch I had chili. Two bites and I felt like I was going to throw up. The other night, I had a baked potato. Two bites, same thing. The only thing that hasn't made me feel sick this whole time is crackers. Once cannot survive on crackers alone.

And don't get me started on Protein. Sigh.

Is it next year yet?

Sorry for whining, but thanks for listening.

I know, I know. I've said this before, but I thought by this time I would be over it. I'm not.

I'm still annoyed with not being able to eat. I don't really know how to describe it. The best way to say it is I don't feel like I'm enjoying food anymore. I know it's not going to be the same as pre-op when I could stuff myself to the gills with awesome food and that's okay. That's not my problem. My problem is a take 2 bites and I'm done but I've hardly even tasted the food. Am I making sense? I guess I just miss it.....

I'm not missing the volume of food I used to be able to eat or the fact that I can't grub on a delicious box from Taco Bell. For example, during lunch I had chili. Two bites and I felt like I was going to throw up. The other night, I had a baked potato. Two bites, same thing. The only thing that hasn't made me feel sick this whole time is crackers. Once cannot survive on crackers alone.

And don't get me started on Protein. Sigh.

Is it next year yet?

Sorry for whining, but thanks for listening.

don't worry it is perfectly normal to feel the way you are....give it time, be patient.....everything will be fine and you will learn to love food again....obviously in a different way.

You haven't even been sleeved a month yet. It will get better. It just takes awhile, that's all.

Like the others have said ... it REALLY does get better. PROMISE!!!!! :)

It certainly does get better, i think once all your swelling inside goes down you will be able to enjoy a little more as far as quantity of food. I will admit though I still want to just eat and eat because it tastes great but I get full so fast that I am forced to stop and it does leave me a little bummed but I dont feel deprived because I am full i just feel a little down because it tastes good.

I feel the same way you do. I've been sleeved for 3 weeks and I can hardly eat anything. One bite and I feel discomfort and fullness. I miss eating. The only thing I can really eat is cottage cheese or yogurt and not much of them either. The only thing that keeps me going is the Protein Drinks and I hate them, but this is the only way I am surviving. I tried eating fish or tuna but it was too hard. I guess I have to wait. Everyone says it gets better with time. I hope so...

I'm 11 weeks out now and I've felt the same way for the first month or so, I once even had tears in my eyes cause I wasn't even hungry but i missed my best friend, food. I thought it wouldn't go away but it has and I don't miss food at all, cause I can enjoy food again, and still lose weight, loving it :P

Now here's where I totally disagree. As a support group, we shuold NOT be telling her it's gonna be ok and it will get better!! I am not yet sleeved but one thing I've realized even before I've taken the leap to be sleeved is that my relationship with food HAS to change. I cannot live to eat...I have to eat to live. The food I eat will be what is necessary for me to sustain my health and my weight loss. The satisfaction and pleasure I got from eating a fatty, bad-for-me meal MUST be replaced. I have to get that satisfaction from my family, my kids, my career, my healthy life. I'm PRAYING that being sleeved will make me not enjoy food anymore, because enjoying food as much as I do now led me to being morbidly obese and needing surgery to fix it. We need to stop telling people that it will get better and it will be ok. IT SHOULDN'T!!

I think it is okay to mourn the loss of food. I mean really, when things are bad, there is always food. When emotions get the best of us, there is always food. When it is time to Celebrate, there is always food. Good, bad, or indifferent, FOOD has always been my friend.

However, I read something different into your post. It sounds like you constantly feel like you are going to throw up. Is that normal? Do you actually throw up or is it just nasuea feeling? Is that something that you should talk to your surgeon about?

I don't know maybe some of the other vets can chime in with whether or not that is normal. You sort of have me worried now. I choose the VSG over the band because I can't stand to throw up and from what I can tell there is a whole lotta throwing up with the band.

Well, I don't know what to say about this one. But I have to agree with BigDaddy2SlimDaddy.

Since this is a support group and we all should be honest about things, I will tell you a secret.

As any Kaiser patient knows, in order to get a date, you have to jump!

I almost didn't pass my psych! Even though I did pass, it was one more hoop.

In order for me to pass the psych, I had to get approval from my psychiatrist and my theropist.

Yes, I under doctors care.

I am BPD. (Borderline Personality Disorder)

Even though my doctors have cleared me, they are concern about my relationship with food. And I am being watch closely.

Well, the point is, talk to someone professionally about food. It might help.

Good Luck

Now here's where I totally disagree. As a support group, we shuold NOT be telling her it's gonna be ok and it will get better!! I am not yet sleeved but one thing I've realized even before I've taken the leap to be sleeved is that my relationship with food HAS to change. I cannot live to eat...I have to eat to live. The food I eat will be what is necessary for me to sustain my health and my weight loss. The satisfaction and pleasure I got from eating a fatty, bad-for-me meal MUST be replaced. I have to get that satisfaction from my family, my kids, my career, my healthy life. I'm PRAYING that being sleeved will make me not enjoy food anymore, because enjoying food as much as I do now led me to being morbidly obese and needing surgery to fix it. We need to stop telling people that it will get better and it will be ok. IT SHOULDN'T!!

I'm pretty sure what they mean is that I won't always feel like this. Whether that comes from me getting used to this new life and not missing the old one or because I'm able to go back to enjoying food. Perhaps not in the same capacity as before, but at least I will enjoy it a little. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I thought I said it had less to do with the TYPES of food I'm able to eat and more to do with not really being able to enjoy whatever it is I'm eating. Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I only ate McDonalds. I love salad, too, and I can't enjoy that right now, either. Wanting to enjoy food is not a sin. Skinny people enjoy food; they just enjoy it in moderation. But part of my point is also that almost everything makes me feel like I'm going to be sick. When you feel like everything you eat is going to make you throw up, it kind of gets rid of that enjoyment, as well as the urge to eat. Not good, especially since you need to at least be getting in Protein to help with healing.

Like you said, you're not sleeved yet, so you may not fully understand what I'm trying to say. It's one of those things that can't be explained; it's something you have to experience.

Well, I don't know what to say about this one. But I have to agree with BigDaddy2SlimDaddy.

Since this is a support group and we all should be honest about things, I will tell you a secret.

As any Kaiser patient knows, in order to get a date, you have to jump!

I almost didn't pass my psych! Even though I did pass, it was one more hoop.

In order for me to pass the psych, I had to get approval from my psychiatrist and my theropist.

Yes, I under doctors care.

I am BPD. (Borderline Personality Disorder)

Even though my doctors have cleared me, they are concern about my relationship with food. And I am being watch closely.

Well, the point is, talk to someone professionally about food. It might help.

Good Luck

Um, I think missed the secret. I'm not entirely sure what it is you're trying to say.

I actually do talk to someone about food and my relationship with it. But is that going to change overnight? No. So it's okay for me to still feel like this; it will take time.

I think it is okay to mourn the loss of food. I mean really, when things are bad, there is always food. When emotions get the best of us, there is always food. When it is time to Celebrate, there is always food. Good, bad, or indifferent, FOOD has always been my friend.

However, I read something different into your post. It sounds like you constantly feel like you are going to throw up. Is that normal? Do you actually throw up or is it just nasuea feeling? Is that something that you should talk to your surgeon about?

I don't know maybe some of the other vets can chime in with whether or not that is normal. You sort of have me worried now. I choose the VSG over the band because I can't stand to throw up and from what I can tell there is a whole lotta throwing up with the band.

I do feel like I'm going to throw up a lot of times. Before, it was a 24/7 feeling, but now it's usually only when I eat something. I have to really concentrate on not throwing up because it hurts when I actually do it. If I didn't try to stop it, I'm sure I would be throwing up a lot more. I talked to my surgeon about it but he didn't seem too concerned. He said that the nausea is something many people go through and that it should ease up, but if it doesn't by next month, then we should look into it further.

I also had a hernia repaired at the same time, which my surgeon explained was having two major surgeries at once and it's probably why my recovery was a little more rocky.

Girrrrrl I totally get you!!! I know, I know, I know!!! TRUST ME!!!! I will be out 8 weeks on Friday, and it has gotten better with time. What you are feeling is normal...it doesn't mean it feels good :( ,,,it's a terrible feeling, we will get through it together :)

I don't even worry about the Protein anymore, I just can't. I try to eat more Protein type foods (beef, cheese, yogurt) but I don't stress about it, I just can't anymore.

I sympathize with you, but I agree with BigDaddy..

I have been sleeved for 3 weeks and I miss food. I see and smell it, and I want to be able to enjoy it like I did before. But this is something I am working to get over..

My hubby is a runner and he thinks of food as fuel. That's what I want. I want to not enjoy the food. Will it be a big adjustment? Absolutely.. But my love of food is what got me in trouble in the first place. I think of food as my drug and I need to kick the habit.

I get so frustrated at not being able to eat, but I try to concentrate on what I am doing now, not where my next meal is coming from. I want to eventually enjoy food occasionally, but mostly just think of it as fuel. I want to be thin and healthy and not food obsessed..