Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I too love my hair and it is coming out. I do know though that I went under a treatment for a health issue years ago and it made my hair come out so bad I had to clean the brush everytime I used it, although no one ever ever notice it was getting thinner. I am worried but since this has happened before I can see that it is just something I need to chill about and try to forget it. Just look at the positive and realize I too as well as my hair are both thinning this time. LOL

Hair loss in lap banders comes from the lower rate of Protein intake (that is because you can't eat as much when you are first banded)..your protein stores in your body hold about 3 months of protein. That is why at about 3 to 4 months out, you see the hair loss.

Biotin is a good supplement, but not necessarily for the hair loss as some of you have posted. Biotin is B-7...it is found naturally in egg yolk, soy, milk, and barley. Protein is the key for keeping your hair!!! If you are not sure, ask your hairdresser she will tell you. Get your Protein Shakes in, drink your skim milk with a tablespoon of molasses in it...molasses has protein in it. Fish...Tuna, blue fish, sardines, any dark meat fish (the oily kind is high in protein) low fat cheeses, low fat yogurt, Beans. Storing protein before you band, ummmm...you won't be able to because of the liquid diet and the mushie diet stages. (well, yogurt during mushie diet stage will work)..but to build up the storage like it was takes time. When we are cut back...the protein we do have stored gets used up because our stores of carbs are gone.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on the Biotin...take your Vitamins and watch your diet. My sis wasn't forwarned about the hair loss but because of her I warned others, and they have had minimal hair loss.

Best Wishes!

I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and my hair has been getting thinner and thinner on the top over the past year. Now I just got banded two weeks ago and I am SO scared about loosing my hair. Do you think it would help to start the Nioxin NOW versus waiting until later?

Telly, you look gorgeous! I agree that most people can't do that though. I hope mine doesn't all go! :cry

Nioxin is topical right??? No, it won't help taking it now. It washes out. Don't waste it now, I am sure it was exensive. Topical solutions do not easily penetrate into your system. I would wait.

Bettina ~ How did you get so smart? Sounds like good info to me. Thanks for sharing.

3Loves,

I read a lot...(ugh I mean a lot). Actually my sis is a hairdresser and is 4 yrs out from Gastric Bypass...so I really do know alot about what your body goes thru. (and I am certified in Holistic Health, Sports Nutrition, and gulp....Personal Training) Oh and I research everything....I mean everything....I think its a disease on my part...lol you know like hand-washing....compulsive disorder. (I am working on a Psych degree and oddly I have learned a lot about medicine in that also!):)

hair loss in lap banders comes from the lower rate of Protein intake (that is because you can't eat as much when you are first banded)..your Protein stores in your body hold about 3 months of protein. That is why at about 3 to 4 months out, you see the Hair loss.

Biotin is a good supplement, but not necessarily for the hair loss as some of you have posted. Biotin is B-7...it is found naturally in egg yolk, soy, milk, and barley. Protein is the key for keeping your hair!!! If you are not sure, ask your hairdresser she will tell you. Get your Protein shakes in, drink your skim milk with a tablespoon of molasses in it...molasses has protein in it. Fish...Tuna, blue fish, sardines, any dark meat fish (the oily kind is high in protein) low fat cheeses, low fat yogurt, Beans. Storing protein before you band, ummmm...you won't be able to because of the liquid diet and the mushie diet stages. (well, yogurt during mushie diet stage will work)..but to build up the storage like it was takes time. When we are cut back...the protein we do have stored gets used up because our stores of carbs are gone.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on the Biotin...take your Vitamins and watch your diet. My sis wasn't forwarned about the hair loss but because of her I warned others, and they have had minimal hair loss.

Best Wishes!

My dermatologist insisted it was not the protein. I consume over 150g of protein per day, hair still coming out. I don't remember having as much prior to banding.

My doc did state that the body ..at an excelerated weight loss will go through stress, shock, thyroid and hormonal changes. All are relative to hair loss.

He stated that he himself takes biotin which was very good for you. *He looks soo gorgeous, gorgeous skin, and hair* He did state that what I had would self correct but that my protein intake was good and not to worry about protein and hair.

I'm sure he wouldn't lie to me.

I have been to the chat room on obesityhelp.com and I asked the question about hairloss and im throwing this number out there but 8 out of 10 people I stood in that room with, suffered noticeable hair loss. They just don't like talking about it b/c it was brushed off after the initial 'yes I lost alot or almost all of my hair but it's back".

I was at Sally Beauty supply this weekend, they have hair extention kits. These are the kind you put in yourself - I am going to try that. I have thin hair anyway but I noticed today the top of my head is looking baren.

Am also going to get some Biotin tomorrow.

I will not look good in a fauxhawk!

My dermatologist insisted it was not the Protein. I consume over 150g of Protein per day, hair still coming out. I don't remember having as much prior to banding.

My doc did state that the body ..at an excelerated weight loss will go through stress, shock, thyroid and hormonal changes. All are relative to Hair loss.< /p>

He stated that he himself takes Biotin which was very good for you. *He looks soo gorgeous, gorgeous skin, and hair* He did state that what I had would self correct but that my protein intake was good and not to worry about protein and hair.< /p>

I'm sure he wouldn't lie to me.

I have been to the chat room on obesityhelp.com and I asked the question about hairloss and im throwing this number out there but 8 out of 10 people I stood in that room with, suffered noticeable hair loss. They just don't like talking about it b/c it was brushed off after the initial 'yes I lost alot or almost all of my hair but it's back".

I know he didn't lie to you, Biotin is B7---very important Vitamin. B7 is also found in protein rich foods. I just wouldn't waste my money on it because you can get the RDA thru food. (just my personal choice)

Vitamins are always good. And when the hair grows back, the B7 will help make it better. :)

Bettina,

Question for you. If you can stop/reduce the amount you lose by upping your Protein, how long might it take? Does it take a specific amount of time to build up that Protein in your body? Does it build up? Does that make sense??

One of the things I did today was when I showered I didn't purposely tug on the back of my hair just to see how much was going to come out. Then, when I put product into my hair, I didn't notice as much on my hands and once again, didn't purposely try to pull and see what was coming out. I also didn't find as much on the sink, toilet & tub when I blowed my hair dry.

I have been upping my protein for a couple weeks now and getting in close to 85 or more grams per day. Hoping the shedding will stop soon. I still have a lot of hair to spare, but.....

Thanks!

I guess when it comes to Hair loss or potential hair loss you just have to ask yourself what is more important, being over weight or have hiar loss for a while. My hair has already thinned since my hysterectomy so I am scared to death of going bald but I am more sick of being over weight and the stigma that comes with it.

Since I started this here thread I guess I will give yet another update. :D

My hair has stopped falling out in clumps and is coming back slowly. Cutting it has made it so much better and it all seems to be coming back. I dont know if the Biotin/Nioxin made the falling out process shorter than it would have been, but I would buy it all again in a heart beat.

As for the question, would I rather have hair or be fat? Well if I have super gorgeous long hair it would cover all my fat and no one would know! hahaha Just kidding!

I don't know about y'all (that's my Texas twang comin' out) but my liquid diet was super high in Protein and I was only on full liquids for a week before surgery and a week following surgery. I don't think the Hair loss is protein related.

My hairdresser, whom I've been going to for 20 years (we were both babies when he first started doing my hair!) says that Nioxin Shampoo does help with hair loss, and that its chemical compound does penetrate the skin and stimulate the follicles. He says not to bother with or waste money on the Nioxin conditioner though.

My pharmacist says the only thing he knows of which will help with hair loss is Biotin and Vitamin E.

So . . . now I'm taking TONS of Biotin (hope I don't reach toxcicity one day), TONS of flax seed oil, and vitamin E. Have been for a few weeks now. The vitamin E I only added about a week ago now.

Pssssst. Come closer, I don't want to say this loud enough for my hair and scalp to hear. . . I think the last two times I shampooed and styled my hair, there was significantly less shed. *fingers crossed* I'll keep you posted.

DonnaB, I am happy to whisper back to you and tell you that I tug at my hair now and nothing comes out. Happiness is not the word for what I'm feeling.

I read somewhere that people were using Nioxin. I'm thinking it was on this thread but I'm not sure. Regardless - just wanted to pass on the info that three of the Beauty Brand stores I have been to in the last few weeks (looking for an OPI color) have had a LOT of their Nioxin products 60% off. Nioxis is pricey, comparatively, and if any of you are using it, it might be worth your while to see if your local store has the same sale.