Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am resurrecting this thread because of something I read in the paper today. I have not tried it, but thought it wad interesting and wanted to share it:

I lost a great deal of hair due to stress and illness. My cousin recommended nettle tea. I was unable to find the tea, but I found capsules. The regrowth has been nothing short of amazing! Even my hairdresser is shocked. When I buy the capsules, clerks assume I'm taking it for allergies. Few people seem to know of the hair benefits. Have you heard of this?

A. We, too, had heard of using stinging nettle for allergies and also for an enlarged prostate. In checking, we found that it has been applied directly to the scalp to treat Hair loss. We could not find any studies supporting this use.

Let me know if anyone has heard of this. Have a wonderful day!

OOh, I think I posted in the wrong thread... but this thread is the right one.

I had the TT back in October and all I can say is... the hair is starting to fall out again after it came to a screeching hault in August - November. The anesthesia, surgery (trauma) and weightloss..or whatever has triggered Telogen Effluvium once again. Yesterday and a few days before I've noticed that after I put in my hair pomade, I see hair in my hands and in between my fingers. I see the "bulb" of the root of my hair and it's coming out like it did before.

I am going to try and have my breast augmentation surgery done within a month so that I can do this as my hair is already going through the "follicle shock" process. I can't keep losing my hair due to surgery after surgery..so I'll be getting it all done now. *sighs*

Telly---maybe your hair is just trying to decide if it is on the right person anymore or not!!!! lol Let us know how it goes!!!

My hair is falling so fast, I have left DNA evidence everywhere!!! Hoping it stops soon.

Kat

Haha, DNA evidence, uh oh, lol!

I have been having some headaches lately and I think birds are making birds nests with my hair. I had to compensate for the loss, thus...what you see in my avatar, lol.

...the things we go through for our lapband...

:) Becky

I am 7 months out and my hair is still shedding like crazy. I have a very thick head of hair anyway, but I am seriously considering having my whacked off. Just not sure if my face is skinny enough to do it yet.

This is a shame but I am about a year and a half and my hair is falling out again with a vengence. DNA shoot they can save the test and just follow the trail......

LOL, Teresita thank you for making me laugh. When I saw this thread I just about died from the thought of losing my hair and I hope that if it does have to happen to me I can keep a sense of humor like you.

I have lower back length layered mutli-colored blonde hair.. needless to say the only visual beauty I possess at this time. Right now I'm just going to stay positive and say its not going to happen to me (but if it does I'll return here for support)

Also.. I assuming the Hair loss isn't ever evident on the legs, armpit or face.. lol.. yeah I didn't we could be so lucky :)

PS.. and yes , I admit I'm too lazy to change my weight loss below :rolleyes

Mine started coming out about 4 months into the recovery---and has yet to quit. I used to buy clips for heavy hair, and now, they are useless....it is getting pretty pathetic! I have lost it ALL before with chemo, and this is feeling scarily familiar! I am taking all the recommended Biotin, and the hair and nails Vitamins, I get minimally 70 grams of Protein a day, otherwise, I try to eat a balanced diet, adding good fats in, and fruits and veggies, I have no idea what else to do. I baby my hair, Shampoo gently, comb out gently---but even my stylist was in shock!

I had her cut a good 8 inches off last week, figuring at some point maybe the new (hoping it is coming in somewhere!!!) and the old will meet in the middle....she just kinda smiled like "yeah sure!"---till then, I am trying to remain upbeat, and not worry about it, I figure stress can't help it.

I have had issues with other hair, not growing at all since my hysterectomy. I used to need to shave my legs daily (notice I said need...not DID!!!), and I had normal amounts of body hair elsewhere--arms, pubic area etc. Now none of it grows. I shave my legs once in a blue moon---same with my underarms. But up until this point, I have had no issues with my head of hair, in fact it was thicker and healthier than ever. Now, the hysterectomy was in direct treatment with my chemo---I am a survivor of uterine cancer. So...seems like if it was going to affect the regrowth of all my hair, I would just never have grown it back following the treatment and surgery. But it did, it grew back different, but it was thick!!! I had always had fine straight blonde hair. It grrew back in darker, and curly with a heavier texture. Wonder if it grows back again what I'll get..........wanna bet it will be gray!!!

Kat

Hi all... I havernt been banded yet but hopefully i will be around the end of february.

About 8 months back i went on Optifast for 3 weeks and then noticed my hair falling out at the roots. It has not regrown so i have very very thin hair. Thankfully my surgeon doesnt make his patients go on Optifast pre- banding.

Don't worry too much - it totally slows down. I noticed Hair loss within the first year and it freaked me out ALOT!! Not that I was bald or anything but I noticed a definate thinning out and thought it wasn't going to end!!! I am almost 3 years post op (next week!!!) and I had totally forgotten about the hair thing til I read this forum. My hair is now as thick as it ever was and I have not taken any special supplements or anything. Just a daily Multivitamin and making sure I get healthy food. It is not an issue at all now, so hopefully that goes for pretty much everyone this far after surgery!!!

Kat817,

I have a very very similar story. It was nice to read a familiar tale. When my hair grew back after chemo, at least I knew what was happening. Nobody mentioned the possibility with the band. Thats what made me so angry. Not to mention that there still is no definitive professional explanation for it.

Like you, I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do. I took every suppliment known to man. I drank the disgusting tea, I rubbed on the lotions and potions, etc! Made me crazy!

I am having revision surgery next week and will just expect it to fall out again. Oh well. Maybe its time for a change.

Warmly,

Christine:)

I had read of it prior to the banding, and was not surprised by it. It happened to me back when I lost 70 pounds on Atkins. It just didn't last so long---then again neither did the diet!!! By the time the Hair loss started, I was hitting the wall with the diet thing---which is what happened with every diet I ever did. I would excell for several months, and drop weight...only to go nuts, dump the diet, gain it all back plus and extra 5-10 pounds. So about the time it began falling out heavily, I quit Atkins, so whether it was quitting the diet, or whether it had finally reached the point of regrowth, I have no idea. I just keep hoping it will stop falling out soon---it is getting kinda scary here! I can see my scalp on top of my head. It is a good thing I am tall---few people see the top of my head! Can you tell I am really reaching for the silver lining here?????

Kat

Ahhhh! I wish i didn't read this thread.. I am so scared of losing my hair :huggie:

It's long and thick.. If it happens after surgery... I hope it's not too obvious.

Hair loss is terrible! I was on phen-fen many years ago and my hair was to my elbows and it fell out over a month's time. I had to cut it down to about 1 inch in lengh to not look like a cancer patient. It came out in clumps, when I went to a dermo they said from stress but that didn't make sense. then I researched and it was due to dramatic weight loss.

I fear this happening again if I do weight loss surgery