Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I might be having a bit of this. I'm not sure yet. Normally I wash my hair every morning. This week there have been two mornings when I didn't. On the following day, when I did, I noticed a lot more hair coming out on my hands than normal, esp. when I'm working the conditioner in. There are a few possibilities. Either I'm losing hair, and only noticing it sometimes, or I'm just having two days' worthof shedding because I didn't wash the day before.

I'm not too concerned, yet... as it is now I PAY sometime to thin my hair out, so getting it free isn't a bad thing. :)

I have had 2 experiences with Hair loss. The first being caused by weight loss on Atkins. I dropped about 60 pounds, in about 10 weeks...I think probably 2-3 of that was my hair!!! Well in my typical pre banding diet days, 8 weeks was about my limit anyway, and I began eating things not "allowed" carbs, mostly. The hair began growing back about 6 weeks after I began eating something besides just Protein. Which is why I can't follow along with people saying the hair loss is due to lack of protein. I basically stayed on the induction phase for the full time. I was putting away the protein, nothing much besides meat, cheese, & eggs. So whether the hair loss had run its course or whether it had to do with the change in diet I have no idea. This time around, the weight is coming off slower, and I am eating a bit of everything, I have not eliminated anything, I just have control of how much I eat now...I love it!! Anyway, when my hair grew back it was basically the same as before, I didn't notice it being thinner, or finer or anything. A different story the other time. I lost it then due to chemotherapy, and when it come back that time, my straight, heavy hair, is now curly, and much finer strands...I have no idea what to do with curls!!! The color is darker....I guess since mine was gone, I just ended up with someone elses alltogether!!! I t has a tendency to frizz...I am scared to death this time it will come back white and looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket!!! Good Luck to all of you dealing with this...I know you will be here when mine starts....thanks in advance!

Kat

I washed my hair tonight and I had ... 25 hairs or so fall out. It's getting serious...

I remember this happening before but not as bad and as dramatic. It was minimal but noticeable only to me. This was when I had my little girl. The doc said that the anesthesia and pregnancy did that to my hair. Now I have to believe it's the anesthesia, the rapid weight loss and possibly hypothyroidism that's working on me now. My hypothyroidism is very borderline, 2 points away from the minimum T something..I forget.. So I am not taking meds right now.. I stopped years ago and it's done nothing to my hair. But lately, past month.. I can't come to grips with how much I'm losing. I believe it's temporary b/c it kinda happened overnight. Hope I don't lose too much. I'll just wear a cap for a few months :(

I've been on the fence on this, my hair's at the longest it grows, so lots of hairs are at the end of the growing cycle, but I do believe I'm losing more than normal - its not alarming and I havent noticed thinning, but the amount of hair I leave around the place is driving me nuts.

I do not believe Hair loss has much to do with Protein however, its either related to poor nutrition as a whole - as in people who drop lots of weight very fast (which really, I havent, its taken 7 months to lose a bit over 20kg) or its hormonal and somehow related to your body letting go of all that fat.

I was banded in March, 2006, exactly 4 months ago. I have been loosing hair at am alarming rate... I have to clean my bathroom floor and shower every day! I have only lost 22 pounds and am eating a well balanced food plan....so Im not sure why the hair loss...

Breezie, could be the anesthesia. Some people are extremely sensitive to medication and major surgeries. That was also a cause for Hair loss. Rapid weight loss, anesthesia, hormonal changes... several things.

hello!!

so........is it safe to assume that MOST of the people who have had this surgery lose thier hair? i naturally keep my hair short so i really can't afford to lose the little hair i have :( my surger date is july 25th if i don't chicken out..i'm really nervous, really, really. two biggest concerns: Hair loss, and erosion. anyway, back to the hair thing: i thought if you took Vitamins before surgery and after that would help with the prevention of hair loss. Or is it a lack of Protein?

Luv,

There are several posts on this thread that should answer your question. You may have to read this in it's entirety.

Hello All!

I havent been to the dermatologist yet, talking to all the people I work with that have had this surgery they said the hair loss has happened to them all, its temporary and lasts for about 2 months. UGH

I'm still taking the Biotin, and the nioxin shapoo/conditioner/treatment and supplements. I have spent a fortune on my hair!

What I am going to do is have a consultation with my hair dresser on August 5th, if there is any new growth then I'm probably going to cut a lot off to keep it even. I'd say about half of my hair is gone. Thank goodness for super hairspray and thickening products. Man how I love big ass hair. :eek:

Hello All!

Well I couldnt wait for August 5th for my hair appointment so I moved it up to yesterday. After one plus months of using that nioxin stuff I have to report my hair dresser found small baby hairs poking thru! Yeah! So I did the scary and chopped quit a bit off so it wont look so stupid when its growing back. All stringy at the ends. Also proud to report I did not cry, thought I would though. hehe

I'm going to continue to use the nioxin until I run out, which will be a while since I found some on clearance and bought a ton. Any exciting updates I will be sure to post. :bananapartyhat:

My doc said nothing is proven to help with hair loss so save your money... I followed his advice and he was right, my hair is finally starting to grow back on its own and I'm out 9 months. I lost ALOT of Hair loss but seeing the new growth just made me feel 1000000x better :confused:

All I can say is hang in there, it does grow back.

I have not gotten my band yet but thought I might be able to help a little. I am a hair stylist. I have been telling people about Biotin for years for Hair loss. Here are a few key points about it: You need at least 1000mg per day. You should never buy them from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart's Vitamins are "seconds" (Always buy from a reputable drug store). Biotin is safe for most people to take on a daily basis, even before hair loss is a problem (preventive). Nioxin is also a good hair stimulator. There is no quick fix once it has all fallen out. Give whatever you use at lease 30 days before you give up.

60 Biotin caps for about $5.00 vs Nioxin $50.00 - $70.00

Hope this helps

This topic has been discussed into the ground. Are you sure you searched for it? I have personally vented about it numerous times. I lost half my hair. What will forever make me furious about this topic is you will never get a straight answer from a doctor. Try it. I have. Personally, I have access through work to the best surgeons/GP's in Southern California. Not one has an answer for me. To quote my new doctor (whom I adore and respect wholeheartedly-but doesn"t have the answer either) "you have a bunch of experts about nothing on that chat room." So take all "advice" with a grain of salt.

You can eat all the frog root extract and slather all the spotted camel dung you can gather on your poor head....if its gonna fall out....its gonna fall out. Mine did. I was devastated. Now, I have beautiful long thick hair again.

But, I still have no answer!

Christine:faint: