Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speak up those with leaks & infections!

Well I thought this thread was for posting problems so that we could learn from other people's experiences. We've read here that Dr. Alamanza and that clinic have been the only ones that have super-negative experiences posted about them. I thought that it would be beneficial if you had a complication, that you would tell us who and where it took place. And it would be more fair than to just have this one name and clinic come up all the time.

Your post makes you sound better. I hope that's true. I had my surgery on Wednesday. I'm really sore and uncomfortable, but better than yesterday so that's good, right?

Hey Driver,

Glad to see your post... maybe that means your doing better. I would really like to be able to offer whatever support I can and I'm sure there are lost of members who would as well. Maybe you could start a new thread. I would jump on.

Take care and I hope your feeling better

Stacey

WOW!

I have missed so much this last week and a half. I just do not know what to think or say, so I will say nothing.

It sure doesn't seem like a week and a half since you were scheduled for your surgery! Hope everything went well and you're doing fine!

I'm finding that I am able to handle drinks and Soup, etc., in the morning far easier than drinking things at night. Go figure!

I am home after spending the last 4 months in hospital (Edmonton, Canada), 3-1/2 weeks of which were on life support equipment in intensive care.

I flew home on 16 Jan 10 from TJ. My husband took me to the ER at 4:00 a.m. because I was filled with abdominal pain. It turns out I had massive infection as a direct result of a leak (cut) where my esophagus meets with the stomach. This had gone undetected by Emmanual Medical Center (Jerusalem Hospital). The doctors here told my husband I was close to death and even if they save me they may not be able to save my esophagus due to the damage from the infection.

Thanks to God and many prayers, I am still here today. I wasn't even conscious for the first month of my stay in hospital. I still have a slow leak but my surgeon is allowing me to have a balance Fluid diet for now. If the leak increases I will have to go back on being fed through IV tubes as I have been for 3-1/2 months. I'm sure in the U.S. I would have had to sell my house by now to pay the medical bills. Lucky for me here there is no bill except my loss of wages from my employment as a paralegal. I was paid about 55% of my income from the Canadian Government employment insurance program until recently. Now my private long-term disability insurance is kicking in so I am saved financially so far.

Emotionally, this has been the hardest ordeal in my life. I still have to face hernia repair surgery and skin grafting of my huge wound. I also have to go to have a stent removed from my esophagus that had been inserted in an attempt to bypass the last hole to heal. That hole is starting to leak again.

Everything I have said here is true and from my own experience. I have much paperwork to back up any statement.

Hello TinyTummy..... thanks for posting.

I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I can't imagine what you must have been through. I guess it was probably a blessing to be unconscious for a lot of it. I'm very glad to hear you seem to be on the mend. Please keep us posted!!!!!

You have been in my daily prayers.

I am so very happy that you are home now.

Praise The LORD!!!

Thank you for posting your story.

I am home after spending the last 4 months in hospital (Edmonton, Canada), 3-1/2 weeks of which were on life support equipment in intensive care.

I flew home on 16 Jan 10 from TJ. My husband took me to the ER at 4:00 a.m. because I was filled with abdominal pain. It turns out I had massive infection as a direct result of a leak (cut) where my esophagus meets with the stomach. This had gone undetected by Emmanual Medical Center (Jerusalem Hospital). The doctors here told my husband I was close to death and even if they save me they may not be able to save my esophagus due to the damage from the infection.

Thanks to God and many prayers, I am still here today. I wasn't even conscious for the first month of my stay in hospital. I still have a slow leak but my surgeon is allowing me to have a balance Fluid diet for now. If the leak increases I will have to go back on being fed through IV tubes as I have been for 3-1/2 months. I'm sure in the U.S. I would have had to sell my house by now to pay the medical bills. Lucky for me here there is no bill except my loss of wages from my employment as a paralegal. I was paid about 55% of my income from the Canadian Government employment insurance program until recently. Now my private long-term disability insurance is kicking in so I am saved financially so far.

Emotionally, this has been the hardest ordeal in my life. I still have to face hernia repair surgery and skin grafting of my huge wound. I also have to go to have a stent removed from my esophagus that had been inserted in an attempt to bypass the last hole to heal. That hole is starting to leak again.

Everything I have said here is true and from my own experience. I have much paperwork to back up any statement.

My goodness it's good to hear from you!! We've all been thinking of you and wishing you well. We were shocked to hear what happened and were holding our breath until we got some news. So it means a lot that you've shared an update to your story. Thank goodness you're home!

We'll keep our fingers crossed that everything from here on out gets easier every day. Please know that we're all thinking of you and wishing for a full and complete recovery!

Thanks for sharing this, we who are still antipicating our sleeve need to be aware, and make a good decisions about our surgery. Your sharing is very helpful. Some times I forget that this is major...and just as it will be life-giving it can be life-taking.

Glad to know that you are on the mend. That indeed you've been given a 'second chance.' Blessings!

So happy to hear you are on the mend Tinytummy, what a nightmare you have been through. Thanks for sharing and praying for your continued improvement!

You poor thing. I can't even imagine. We have been worried about you, and it sounds like you have alot more that you're going to have to deal with. Can you sue them for negligence? I know money cannot bring back the time you've lost, and the pain you suffer, but I would hope that this gets addressed. Best wishes, Les

This is indeed a tragedy and our hearts certainly go out to you!

Another example why it is at great risk someone would decide to go Emmanuel/Jerusalem clinic!!!

Thank you so much for coming forward to share your personal experience because many do not after what they endured.

God bless you Russ

Thank you very much for sharing your story and bravery for coming forward to save anyone who is unsure where to go and have their sleeve surgery. People need to be informed on what is possible.

You know when this thread started a couple of months ago (?) there were a couple of people who were scheduled to go to that particular doctor and clinic. They said they'd let us know how they were doing when they got back which was supposed to be about a month ago, but I've only read one or two posts from one of them and she was having problems.

Any updates on that front?