Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other Canadians out there?

Hi Carla,

Lucky you, only a couple of weeks to go. Are you on a pre surgery diet? Be sure to let us know how you get along. I love to hear first hand experiences. I'm still in the thinking and researching stage right now. Wish I was already booked with a date.

Take care,

Nancy

Hi, I'm on day 4 of liquid diet, 10 more to go! I'm also blowing up 30 balloons a day because I can't find a peak flow meter to use. The grandgirls will love coming to Grandma's and playing with all of the balloons. I've actually found the liquid diet not bad, i hate cooking and deciding what to cook. I don't feel guilty for eating Snacks either because i don't. The worst part is that i still have to cook suppers for my husband and daughter. Best of luck!:001_cool:

Hi MJ,

welcome to the thread. It's great to see another Canadian. Unfortunately I haven't had the surgery yet.

Did you look into the surgery with the Halifax Dr.'s? I'm waiting to hear from the clinic.....

I can imagine you are both excited & nervous. I know I would be. It is a big step, but I believe a good one. It's hard to imagine being successful when I've had a long list of failures..and of couse anytime you have surgery you worry.

will you be on a pre op diet? Be sure to keep us up to date - I can't wait to hear all about your journey. I know you'll do great!

Nancy

Hi Nancy

Im just replying to your question about Dr Alvarez. You fly into San Antino Texas. They pick you up there and take you to Eagle Pass Texas and put up up in the Holliday inn. They pick you up the morning of the surgary and take you across the border which only takes 15 min to get to the hospital from the hotel. He has a newer clinic right beside the hospital that actually has a breezeway conecting to the hospital on the second floor. You have a privite room in the hospital with a computer & internet, free phoning to anywhere and TV of course. There is a extra bed if you have someone going with you. His clinic is newer looking where as the hospital is older but very clean. I would have no problems what so ever going there again or sending a family member there. Im not exactly sure where the operation took place because as soon as they gave me the "happy juice" as nurse called it , it was lights out for me.They took me about 9:15 I think and my wife told me I back in the room at 10:15 am. I didnt come to till 5:15 pm .

So monday they picked me up in San Antiono. Tue morning they picked me up again at 6:40 and we were at the clinic at 6:45. X rays and stuff. Out of surgary at 10:15 . Wensday they get you walking. I was walking outside around the block wed. On Wed night the Doc was showing me how to Ride his Segway. On thur they took us back to San Antion and put us up at a hotel and friday we flew home.

I dont mind what so ever talking about it so if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I dont mind emailing or talking on the phone either :001_cool:

Hello, I just found this Forum on the Sleeve Talk website and was wondering if there were any fellow Canadians out there. I am waiting for my first appointment Nov 16th in Victoria with Dr Amson. I want to have the VSG and hopefully asap. The wait is about three years, from what I've been told, and unless I can find 15,000 dollars somewhere I'll be waiting it out LoL. I'd love to here from you!:smile:

Hi!

I'm from Langley,BC. I have a date booked for March 29th, 2010 in Mexico.

Sandy

bigdd - thanks for the info on Dr. Alvarez. It is always great to hear first hand knowledge.

Sandy - thanks for joining us on the thread. Who is doing your surgery? Let us know how you get along.

Nancy

Good luck Carla! That's coming soon - you must be excited! My date is March 1 - I wish it was next week, honestly. :smile:

Keep us posted!

MJ in Nova Scotia:thumbup:

bigdd - thanks for the info on Dr. Alvarez. It is always great to hear first hand knowledge.

Sandy - thanks for joining us on the thread. Who is doing your surgery? Let us know how you get along.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Dr. Alvarez is also doing mine. Private pay all the way. I'm starting to get excited. Following advice of others who have gradually eased into pre-op diet I have 1 month before I start that process, 2 weeks pre-op diet, then the surgery. Sandy

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the boards and Holy Smokes! another round of bashing regarding the clinic I'm going to.

Yes, it is still Dr Almanza for me as I could not find anything negative about his surgical skills. On the remainder of the service, etc. -- I'm very self reliant so I'm not worried about having to change bandages or getting up and around on my own. Although I hope it's my last, this surgery certainly won't be the first time (actually 4th or 5th) that I've had an IV buddy to wheel around. As long as everyone keeps their promises, I can't see why I wouldn't report back as having a great surgery.

I can't wait to be "skinny" for me!

2b4me,

I think as long as you have done your research and you know the facts about what to expect - good for you. I have seriously considered Dr. Almanza as well, just not ready to book anything yet. It is hard to decide, especially with the big diff. in price.

Please keep us up to date on how you get along.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

It's good to hear from you.

Yes, I will post as soon as and as much as I can so I don't forget anything and so you and everyone else who is interested will get up to date information.

How are things going for you?

Cheryl

Hi Guys!

Well I just came back on Friday from my surgery with Dr Almanza and I had a great experience! The lady who was bashing Dr Betancourt was an extremely negative person who I think expected a day spa type experience when she was down there.

I had researched and used my Mom's (stoongal) experiences to guide my decisions and I was going in with REALISTIC expectations and found that they were met with exactly what I was expecting! except for one thing, the staff was nicer and more sincere and Dr Betancourt was even more wonderful than my mom had described. He is SUCH a nice man, giving hugs and kisses on the cheek every day and night before bed. He is SO passionate about weightloss surgery that it just comes out of every pore! He is compassionate and friendly and HILARIOUS and just wonderful to be around and spend time with. In the evenings he would come over in his Mickey Mouse pajamas and hang with us at the kitchen table in the recovery house and just talk! wonderful man and he made our experience just that much better.

I am doing REALLY well and am AMAZED at how the hunger that I would always feel before the surgery, is gone! It's just GONE! I no longer feel I have to stuff myself, I am content with my 1/2 a cup of broth or yogurt or Protein drink! I cannot believe it, but I really am! In fact last night I had some of my Protein Drink at about 4pm and by 5:30 when my family was eating supper, I felt like I couldn't put any more into me, So i sat with them and watched them eat and I didn't feel like I was missing out at all! It was rather liberating!

AAAanyway, I seem to be losing at a rate of about a pound per day and I expect that to slow at about the 3 week mark as everyone reports there is a stall at that point.

I'll keep you all posted and let you know how things are going!

Time for Me / Allison,

I am so happy to hear from you. We were all really worried that we hadn't seen any posts from your mom giving us an update. You have to get on the other threads and post an update. It seems a little strange to wake up in the middle of the night worrying about somebody you've never me....but I did.

As 2b4me (Cheryl) mentioned there have been a number of posts by secret garden telling what a horrible experience it was.

I'm also glad to hear it went so well for you and that you are feeling great.

Did you take any pictures?

Tell us all the details,

Nancy

2b4me / Cheryl,

Nothing really new on my end. We are moving to Ottawa so I had our first open house. Apparently there were lots of people through - and a couple of them were even looking for houses (haha). I hear a lot of people go to open houses to see people's decorating (or in my case - lack of decorating).

I have been busy researching Dr's I've been checking out youtube and some of the postings there. Dr. Joya in Puerta Vaillarta looks quite interesting- a couple of days in the hospital and then a few more at an ocean side resort. The video of the hospital looks really nice. I've also been watching one with Dr. Alvarez and again the hospital looks really nice.

I struggle with the need for more services / luxury vs. the cost of those. I was checking out the bank account and trying to decide between paying off a loan and using the money for surgery....My husband is warming up to the idea and said pay the loan and then we can save 2 months of interest by borrowing the money again......and then the mastercard bill arrived and I think I'm selfish for wanting to spend all this money on myself....although I know if I feel good and I'm happier my whole family benefits - not to mention the decrease in risk to my health.

I'm going to Ottawa for a meeting on March 11th and could leave that weekend - go have my surgery and then go back to Ottawa to work a bit more. The surgery will definitely be cheaper with a flight from Ottawa.

I have to say I got a bit nervous at the idea the medical centre is in a strip mall......I'm still a little confused over the Jeruselum hosp. vs. the other location. Is one being replaced with the other?

I wish I was just brave enough to do it... I know Dr. Joya doesn't have any openings the 13th.... but I didn't check with Dr. Almanza.

I'm not really nervous about the surgery itself, just worried something would happen and I'd be alone - silly I know.

decisions, decisions....I'm glad you made yours and are still happy with it.

Take care, sorry for the long post.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your e-mail. I loved the part about 'and some of them wanted to buy a house'! I hope the next time the realtor comes in, it's with people who make a good offer!

While I did think about a resort scenario, I thought I would go on a nice holiday after I reached goal. Staying in San Diego for a couple of days and walking Seaworld is my compromise for now.

Guilt is a terrible feeling, isn't it? We feel guilty when we eat too much and then we feel guilty when we want to lose weight but can't -- because we're feeling guilty. Kinda masochistic, isn't it?

No matter what decision you make, it will be the right one for you.

Please keep me posted...

Cheryl

Hello everyone - this is Jason - Alison's husband. Alison asked me to upload the pictures of her trip to TJ, but I'm not sure where to find them. Oh wait, I just checked and found that if you click on Alison's profile that her photo albums are right there.

She's doing GREAT and she's lost 23 pounds so far! Aside from the fear I felt when she was gone for 6 days, I am very proud of her. She's a tough cookie just like her mom. I know how badly she wants to be able to enjoy life without worrying about health problems or feeling like shes a prisoner to food.

So how did I feel about the whole thing? Well, it was very nerve wracking for me to let her go to Mexico. The 6 days she was gone seemed like forever. The biggest concern was if anything happened I couldn't be there for her. But now she's home and doing well. I'll tell her to get on here soon and keep everyone updated. Have a great night!

Edited by Time-for-me!