Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other Canadians out there?

Well guess what??? Yup you got it! I am booked for my surgery with Dr. Aceves for November 10, 2009! Wow..I did not think it could happen that quickly. I have so many questions.....lol.....how big is the incision? Does Alberta Health Care reimburse any amount of the money? Can I claim it as a tax deductable? Do I bring a night gown or pj top and bottom?....lol..see a variety of questions....is anyone else getting the sleeve in November with Dr. Aceves?

Congrats! You will love the team there - so very caring and professional. You will have 5 incisions - 3 small (about 1/2 inch) and 2 larger (about 3/4 inch) - of these 2, one will have a drain. I doubt Alberta Health will reimburse you anything - email them and ask. You can claim your expenses under medical on your income tax. I brought loose fitting pj's but didn't wear them until the 3rd day - they have great hospital gowns - long with lots of coverage and easier to use with an IV. Bring warm socks - they couldn't seem to get the temperature right in the ward - either too hot (ask for a fan) or too cold (ask for a blanket). Slip on shoes/slippers are great for walking the halls. I brought treats - Saskatoon berry jam for the doctors and maple leaf Cookies for the nurses, and Canada flag pins - they loved them! Good luck - you won't regret it!

Angela77 - I was really curious about why some dr's include pre-op diets too. I'm so glad you asked.

Bookgirl - thanks for answering about that.

Jenn100 - Yeah!!!! so happy for you. Nov. 10th that is so awesome, wish I was going with you.

Angela, Jenn - please keep posting and letting us know what is happening and how you are doing.

Nancy

Hey,

My fellow Canadians,

Hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving day today!

No turkey here for us unfortunately, but I asked hubby what he wanted to do special, I suggested going out so that he could have a turkey dinner but he said no. I rhymed off what meats were in the freezer for him to choose, and he picked steak for making swiss steak (you know done in Tomato sauce and onions, simmered for hours?) So that is what I will be cooking for him today. Me, Soup again! LOL!

once again, Happy Thanksgiving!

Donna

Happy Thanksgiving to you Stoongal & all others celebrating today.

So Donna you are feeling good? Not tired of the Soup yet? When do you move onto the next stage?

We may go out for dinner tonight, or I may just cook chicken breasts. I didn't get a turkey this year, I thought about it - just didn't.

Does Dr. Almanza use 3 rows of staples? Does he oversew?

We have a nice sunny day today (a change from all the rain we have been having), but it is very windy and cool. The leaves have lots of colour so from the inside it is a beautiful fall day.

Nancy

Happy Thanksgiving to you Stoongal & all others celebrating today.

So Donna you are feeling good? Not tired of the Soup yet? When do you move onto the next stage?

We may go out for dinner tonight, or I may just cook chicken breasts. I didn't get a turkey this year, I thought about it - just didn't.

Does Dr. Almanza use 3 rows of staples? Does he oversew?

We have a nice sunny day today (a change from all the rain we have been having), but it is very windy and cool. The leaves have lots of colour so from the inside it is a beautiful fall day.

Nancy

No not tired of the soup so much as I love my homemade Soups, this one is chicken vegeatable, and I am not blending it up everything is so soft already, just chew on the chicken pieces til tiny! My eyes are bigger than my stomach, I took more in my bowl last night and could only eat 3/4 of it. Wanted so badly to finish it off, (my mother's training - clean off your plate, starving children etc etc) but left it! Had to! John bought pumpkin pie - I took a taste of the filling, not as good as mine but hey I am not eating it either!

Don't know the answer to the rows of staples he uses but no definitely NO oversewing. I'll try to find out for sure why and let you know, if I can.

We have had unbelievably cold unseasonable weather here, SNOW on the ground can you believe! for Thanksgiving! So NOT fair! Out leaves haven't even turned colours yet - they are on the trees - all green yet. grump grump!

Hey Donna,

I guess I will quit complaining about the rain then, if you have snow on the ground!!

I'm still wearing my sandals to work - I hate to give them up and start wearing socks and shoes again.

When do you go to Mexico with your daughter? At least it will be warm there!!

Nancy

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!

I am Donna's daughter and we are going to Mexico on January 10th!!!

We set a date for my Aunt and I to get our surgeries, and now it's really starting to hit home that this is REAL!

SO, I had our usual turkey feast in our home this weekend and I kept thinking that this will be the 2nd last Turkey gorge-fest in our home! (Christmas will be the LAST!)

As I was stuffing in the turkey, mashed potatoes and the pumpkin pie loaded with whip cream and feeling DISGUSTING about it, I kept thinking I can't WAIT until I can't do this to myself anymore! I can't WAIT until I won't have to beat myself up and dealing with the mental torment that we put ourselves through... WHY did I eat that? I can't BELIEVE that I ate all that!! And the vicious cycle that starts all over again!

I am SO looking forward to my surgery and to feeling like I have some control again! I was looking at the before and after pictures on ObesityHelp.com and WOW! What amazing transformations those people have had! Really gives a person hope for the future!

SO on this Canadian Thanksgiving, here is what I am thankful for...

My BEAUTIFUL 2 1/2 yr old daughter, my AMAZING husband who loves me no matter what size I am, my Aunt for helping me and taking this weight loss journey with me, and to my Mom, Stoongal, for taking the first steps herself, and leading the way to help me find a healthier new me!!

Sorry if that was a bit all over the place but these are the things I had on my mind today! Thanks for listening!

Hey Allison,

That is an awesome thankful list. Jan 10th is going to be a great day! I sent some info. to 3 diff. Dr's in Mexico to see what they would say. They will review my medical history and get back to me. One said it would be an extra $500 because my BMI is over 48 and they said I might need cardiac clearance, but I filled out some more info. and they will let me know. There is a post and blog from Kim who just got back from Dr. Almanza - it was very interesting.

I am hoping the medical reports came from NB last week so that I can have my Dr. send the updated info. the Dr. in NS, plus I will have it to provide to the Mexico Dr's as well.

I didn't make a turkey this year. We went out for dinner instead. It wasn't great. I ordered fries for the first time in a couple of months (been trying to lose weight) - they weren't great so I left half of them. Shared a piece of apple pie with my hubby. It was okay....I should have made my own dinner - it would have been better. On the other hand there were no dishes to do!

Do you know if you will be doing a pre-op diet, and when that will start?

Take care,

Nancy

I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend. I had a chance to look over the pre-opt diet that was emailed to me from Dr. Aceves team. It seems very much like the Atkins diet. I think I can handle that. I was thinking today....my husband's and my Christmas party through our workplace is going to be tough to get through. The events are about a month after I have my surgery.

Did anyone seek support through a nutrionist or counselling for over eating? I am thinking that I should do that after my surgery. I know I do not want to gain back any of the weight after my surgery.

I have an appointment with my family Doctor tomorrow. I will be telling him my plan about going to Dr. Aceves for this surgery. I am hoping that he will be supportive with my decision. I need my doctor to write a note for my workplace so I can have the time off of work. I am hoping that will not be an issue.

Anyway I am probably babbling. I will keep everyone update. I have to say that I love this site. I have learned so much from everyone and will continue to. Once I figure out to post pictures I will definitley be doing that.

Take care

Jenn

I just thought of another question. What did everyone say at Customs in US/Canada for the reason you are leaving the country? Or on the forms you fill out? I usually put vacation, but then again this is not a vacation. I am going to Tijuana for my surgery. I fly out on November 8 and return November 13.

Jenn

Actually you will be able to eat crackers and chees a month out from surgery, or shrimp, stuff like that, if it is a dinner, mashed potatoes, soft meat chewed well, soft veggies, Just chew everything well, take your time, no one will even notice. Crackers are far easier to chew to nothing I have discovered. I nivbble on the cheese, I am just over 2 weeks post op and I wouldn't be afraid to go to any function right now even!

As to the declarations, just check for destination - thru to MX. Don't need a reason why or anything. These forms get filled out on the plane and the stewardess will help if you need it. Coming home you go thru customs here, easy as pie!

Don't sweat the small stuff dear, it is mostly common sense!

Cheers,

Donna

Stoon gal - what is your doctors post-op diet? It seems so different from Dr. Aceves - much less strict!

Yes, indeed, much less strict. In the recovery house we helped ourselves to cream Soups (watered well down mind you) and even mini puddings.

The guidelines they gave us to take home was for Clear liquids, natural strained fruit juices and Gelatin the first week.

Second week apple and pear puree, Soup broths added to the liquids.< /p>

Third week chopped fruit (tiny pieces) and whole vegetable juices added.

Fourth - 6th week all kinds of soft foods, tuna, chicken breast, cereals, fruit pieces, crackers, yogurt , peas etc...

BUT: they also said we could follow the guidelines form the Cornell Weight Loss Surgery Program given for the sleeve if we wanted.

In there, they have bariatric clears for the first 2-4 meals, then progresses to surgery pureed while in the hospital, and they were discharged with a home soft diet, which included benderized meat, poultry, soft poached eggs, low fat cottage cheese, sugar free puddings, unsweetened applesauce, pureed anned peaches not in Syrup, mashed ripe bananas, blended soft cooked vegetables, or overcooked an fork mashed. oatmeal, grits and farina.

Being that I have aways had a good stomach (no morning sickness or motion sickness, only ever felt nausea was when I really pigged out or drank too much and then it wasn't too bad.) I felt I could see what is was that I could tolerate from both of these. Not one of these talked about whey Protein, but started those early on after I got home.

So I have experimented and found the only thing that gave me the runs was when I added a store bought asparagus ready made Soup. So went back to my own recipes for Soups and still on them. I try out stuff from the Cornell one lots and more (crackers for eg as well as the babybel cheese)

So, I am not so strict on myself because I know myself and use my commmon sense a lot!

After the four weeks, they say to gradually advance to solids.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Donna:001_cool:

Thanks for all the info ladies! I went to my family doctor yesterday. He was supportive in my decision. He wants to see me as soon as I return the following week. Which is good. So now all I do is count down the days. :smilielol5: