Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New clothing sizes?

So, hi. This is my first day here and first post. I'm one-year post-op, and have lost almost half of my target. I've always been big, and have worn size 20+ since middle school (33 years old now). My question is, what size can I anticipate once I've lost to my target?

I'm 5ft 7ins, and pre-surgery, I was 280lbs, wearing a US size 28 (jeans and pants; not a big dress/skirt person). I'm your classic Pear, which means the majority of my bulk lies in my hips and thighs. I'm currently at 220lbs, and wearing a US size 22.

I would like to see myself end up around a US size 12, and have set my goal weight between 140 and 160, based on healthy BMI, but have no idea of the two targets line up together.

I've tried googling this and can't seem to find anything reliable, so I thought maybe some of you could help me out by sharing your general shape, along with height, weight, and clothing size.

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks! =)

Hi Cherrili, welcome and congratulations on a great year of weight loss and new health. I am waiting for a surgery date. Sizes are so funny, aren't they? Every manufacturer is different. Let's not even get started on how awful the clothes are, too. What is slub, for example? Meant to be disposable t-shirts? I think Land's End has an on-line modeling tool to help figure out their sizes -- that might be fun. They are the company that sells swimwear separates for tops and bottoms of different sizes. I don't know what I'll be at goal weight. I am 5'6" and declaring 150 as goal for now (I am 52) -- don't want to be a stick. In the old days 8 or 10 were not healthy sizes for me -- I think probably a classic size 12 is more like it. But I'll have to see when I get there. In the S, M, L world I should be an M (not a 2x).

So, hi. This is my first day here and first post. I'm one-year post-op, and have lost almost half of my target. I've always been big, and have worn size 20+ since middle school (33 years old now). My question is, what size can I anticipate once I've lost to my target?

I'm 5ft 7ins, and pre-surgery, I was 280lbs, wearing a US size 28 (jeans and pants; not a big dress/skirt person). I'm your classic Pear, which means the majority of my bulk lies in my hips and thighs. I'm currently at 220lbs, and wearing a US size 22.

I would like to see myself end up around a US size 12, and have set my goal weight between 140 and 160, based on healthy BMI, but have no idea of the two targets line up together.

I've tried googling this and can't seem to find anything reliable, so I thought maybe some of you could help me out by sharing your general shape, along with height, weight, and clothing size.

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks! =)

I am a pear shape, and I am 5'7 and I went from a size 26 to size 12 below, I don't have a before on hand, but I went down almost 14 sizes over the years with my band, I got to a size 12 by 14 months post op and pretty much stayed this size over the years, however, I've been as low as a size 8/10, I will post more pictures when I find them, I did gain some weight back last year, still can were most 12's but I would like to lose another 20 pounds to feel comfortable again.

gallery_208586_7433_71882.jpg

I am a pear shape, and I am 5'7 and I went from a size 26 to size 12 below, I don't have a before on hand, but I went down almost 14 sizes over the years with my band, I got to a size 12 by 14 months post op and pretty much stayed this size over the years, however, I've been as low as a size 8/10, I will post more pictures when I find them, I did gain some weight back last year, still can were most 12's but I would like to lose another 20 pounds to feel comfortable again.

That's awesome! You look great in that picture! From the picture and your description, you look like you're right around where I want to be, size-wise, but do you mind me asking how much you weigh at a size 12? Or how much you weighed when you were the 8/10s? That's kinda the missing part of what I need. =)

Thanks!

Bandista, I hope you get your surgery date soon, and good luck with everything! =D

That's awesome! You look great in that picture! From the picture and your description, you look like you're right around where I want to be, size-wise, but do you mind me asking how much you weigh at a size 12? Or how much you weighed when you were the 8/10s? That's kinda the missing part of what I need. =)

Thanks!

Bandista, I hope you get your surgery date soon, and good luck with everything! =D

I weighed about 190 pounds in this picture, my starting weight was 326, my goal weight was 180, because I am 5'7 I can hold more weight, if I got down to 150 I would probably look unhealthy, also I find the smaller I get the less I can eat..LOL...and I like to eat, I would have to starve to maintain a weight of 150 pounds which is a "normal bmi" for me.....

I was healthy in a size 12, no Vitamin deficiency, I felt good and have much energy at this size.

Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to add that at my lowest weight, I weighed about 178, and I was a size 8/10 and I looked ill too.

Also remember when you've been morbidly obese, you will actually look smaller when you lose weight than someone who's never been obese, and you will weigh more because of the excess skin.

So for example, when I got down to 190, I actually looked like I weighed about 170 because your bone structure is heavier than someone who's never been obese.

I too am 5'7"

I started at 250 lb size 22

I am now 151 lb and am a size 6 pant and size xs shirt AND I still have about 10 lbs to go.

Every individual looks different at different weights due to body type, where they carry fat, how much excess skin they have (and where), if they worked out or not (ie lean muscle loss vs muscle toning) etc.

I was a size 12 at 175

Here are two pics. Black dress is recent at 151 (size 6) and the floral print top is size 12 at 175. As you can see, I could def lose more at 175 and I can still tweak areas at 151.

Hope this helps :)

post-269121-13813142285075_thumb.jpg

post-269121-13813142285818_thumb.jpg

I'm 153lb and only 5.3 us size 6!!

I Defo weigh more then I look but still, I think you at 140-150 5.7 would be more a 6-8...

Good luck.

Hi Cherrii,

Welcome to the forum...and congratulations on your progress to date!

Your questions are difficult to answer with any precision, as we all have different body types and skeleton sizes, and height. And age is a factor as well. I formerly was 2" taller. If I lost weight to 118, and to my younger adult sizes of 8-10, I would not look healthy.

Currently I weigh in the lower 160's and wear a M-L shirt, and 10-12 jeans depending on cut and style, and label.

Keep up the great job!

Welcome!

Nana hit a topic that I think is spot on and it explains how I can wear the sizes I do at my weight. I really think she's right that when you lose weight you look smaller but weigh more because of the excess skin.

I'm only 5'4" (maybe even a little less) and I currently am around 192-194 pounds. I am wearing size 14 jeans and I wear either a M or L shirt depending on the maker. Logically, I keep thinking it's not possible to be in these sizes at my weight, but what Nana said about the loose skin totally makes sense and explains it. (I have a lot of excess skin)

Btw, I started off weighing 421 pounds and wore a 46W or 7X. Yikes!

gallery_208586_7433_71882.jpg

Hi Nana:

Were you a pear before the weight loss?

I am 5'4" 193 lbs and I wear a size 14 pants (they are feeling loose now) and a large top. I started out at 234 lbs, size 22 pants and 2XL tops.

Hi Nana:

Were you a pear before the weight loss?

Well, here is a before picture @325 pounds, so I was far from a peach...LOL

gallery_208586_12090_6364.jpg

I went from the above weight to the below weight in about 14 months

This is one of my favorite "Pear" pictures from 2007

gallery_208586_12090_108337.png

Thanks!

I found a picture of my lowest weight, of a size 8/10

gallery_208586_12090_27689.jpg

I weighed about 190 pounds in this picture, my starting weight was 326, my goal weight was 180, because I am 5'7 I can hold more weight, if I got down to 150 I would probably look unhealthy, also I find the smaller I get the less I can eat..LOL...and I like to eat, I would have to starve to maintain a weight of 150 pounds which is a "normal bmi" for me.....

I was healthy in a size 12, no Vitamin deficiency, I felt good and have much energy at this size.

You look fantastic!